Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

Ioniq 5 winter wheels

70K views 117 replies 50 participants last post by  denispickler 
#1 ·
Hi please do you have some recommendation for good winter wheels for Ioniq 5?

Thank you!

#5 ·
OEM 18”s won’t work, but I’ve seen on a Norwegian forum that they were able to fit 18” third party on the AWD FE.

I got a quote from my dealer on OEM 19” for 27kSEK, around €2650, I showed him this link Hyundaizubehoer.de - Hyundai Originalzubehör, and he came back with a new offer of €1400. Huge marginals on original extras, and you should be able to get a good quote from your dealer.

or just use the link I provided earlier, lots of fellow swedes are happy with the products, especially the tow hooks and winter tires.

#10 ·
OEM 18”s won’t work, but I’ve seen on a Norwegian forum that they were able to fit 18” third party on the AWD FE.

I got a quote from my dealer on OEM 19” for 27kSEK, around €2650, I showed him this link Hyundaizubehoer.de - Hyundai Originalzubehör, and he came back with a new offer of €1400. Huge marginals on original extras, and you should be able to get a good quote from your dealer.

or just use the link I provided earlier, lots of fellow swedes are happy with the products, especially the tow hooks and winter tires.
Thanks for the heads up! Is that quote for studded tires? Following your link, I’m just taken to their start page rather than a specific product. Doesn’t seem like they offer any studded ones, but maybe their offers can be used as leverage anyway?

#11 · (Edited)
No studs on that page, don’t think they’re legal in DE.
I used it as leverage, but I live in Skåne, so it wasn’t empty threats, as both the Dunlop’s and Hankook’s are usable here in southern Sweden.

edit: You should be able to get studded 235/55R19s from your local dealer for no more than 20kSEK before it’s cheaper to buy the OEM’s from the link provided. You can then buy “loose” studded tires and put them on your new rims, and sell the unstudded Hankooks(or make a deal with the tire shop for a swap).

#13 ·
I'm not quite sure how the winter weather is in the Netherlands, but I for sure wouldn't go trough the winter without proper winter tires here in Denmark. :cool:
But it all depends on your driving needs, and whether you just commute on larger roads and/or in the cities, or if you need to travel on smaller roads. :)
As far as I've heard, the car is shipped with either Michelin Pilot Sport or Michelin Primacy tires. They are both categorized as summer tires, and for sure has rather great performance on both dry and wet roads... As long as the temperature is above 8-10 degrees celsius. When the temperature drops below that, and even below freezing temperature, the rubber in the tires gets stiffer, and therefore the tire performs worse. It probably will do fine on dry roads, but on wet/snowy/icy roads I wouldn't risk it. ;)

#16 ·
Good to know 18s will probably fit. Does anyone know of any reason regular steelies wouldn't work with the weight of the car? I will likely be getting Hakka 10 Studded but don't want to have to spend even more on winter alloys if I don't have to. I'm okay with it looking not near as good for the winter.

#37 ·
Interesting. My I5 came with 235/55R19 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV ("Nordic-style" non studded) winter tyres on Hyundai rims. Horrendously expensive at 2 800 €, but as it was part of the purchase price and discounts, it is funny money of a sort.

I am happy with the tyres; quiet, nice to drive (not wobbly), good grip.

#24 ·
You can always downsize as long as overall diameter is equal. More tire choices in 18-19 inches than 20 usually. Not a bad thing to go a bit narrower (235) for better traction.

you can play arround with different specs on this site

#25 ·
The OEM 19" Tires are 235/55/R19.

I got some matching 235/55/R19 studded Michelin X-Ice North for mine.
Now have to upgrade the insulation of the front wheel liners. The rears wheel liners are insulated, the fronts are just straight plastic and the tyre noise is pretty awful.

#28 ·
I think summer tires are always a good idea. Proper M&S wear much quicker in summer. The reason is that the rubber has to be much softer at cold temperatures. So if you drive in summer, it gets that much hotter and the wear is much worse, as they make the rubber mix way softer than on summer tires.

You are basically losing money keeping M&S on in summer, not to mention the traction is worse. Also the summer 235/55/19 are just about on the limit of grip. The studded winter ones give me wheelspin from a start, so you actually have to be more careful with the pedal. I have the AWD model. The RWD is going to be even worse in this regard.

#30 ·
Mandatory here too, but I don't think I would have gone for studded if I knew the noise is so bad. I'll get the front wheel wells insulated in a week or two, and I will update whether it is improved or not.
You can listen to the current noise here:
Use the indicator sound as a guide to set the loudness of the video, it's pretty loud on the Ioniq 5.

#42 ·
I went with the 20" Hyundai original rims and Bridgestone Blizzaks as I was told by an authorized dealer that in Denmark, an Ioniq 5 is registered as either using 20" rims or 19" rims. That means that if you get pulled over in a compliance control, they might object to having 19" rims on a car registered as using 20"

That could also bring down insurance issues if in an accident.

I have no way of verifying that dealers' claim, but since the 19" and 20" original rims weren't that far between, cost-wise, I just said "to **** with it" and ordered the 20" winter rims to match the 20" summer rims the car was delivered with.