Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
MY22 Balance Vision RWD Cyber Gray
58 Posts
I went with the 20" Hyundai original rims and Bridgestone Blizzaks as I was told by an authorized dealer that in Denmark, an Ioniq 5 is registered as either using 20" rims or 19" rims. That means that if you get pulled over in a compliance control, they might object to having 19" rims on a car registered as using 20"

That could also bring down insurance issues if in an accident.

I have no way of verifying that dealers' claim, but since the 19" and 20" original rims weren't that far between, cost-wise, I just said "to **** with it" and ordered the 20" winter rims to match the 20" summer rims the car was delivered with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The dealer told me 18" would fit. Bought 18" rims + studded Hakkapeliitta 10. Bring on the snow!

The only thing is apparently TPMS sensors are mandatory so I had to buy it as well for the rims.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
346 Posts
Uhm, the 19" are 7.5x19 with offset 49.5.
I don't see any reason to get 18x8.0 especially for winter ones. That said, be very careful and check that they will clear the front brakes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you have the info of your 18" rims? Still trying to find some to be sure they will work.

For example, would those work?
I have these. The offset is 42mm which is a 7mm difference. Its pretty had to find wheel which are 7.5x18.

I used this website to get the details of the wheels which are as projix stated 7.5x19 with offset 49.5 bolt pitch is 5x114.5

The same website has a wheel comparison tool so you can see how the offset changes the how it fits in wheel well.

This is what I got for these wheels.

I found the wheels locally and they look good on the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put Michelin X-Ice Snow on some 18" rims. No issue with clearance for the brakes, looks pretty good too. The tires are just as quiet (to me) as the all season were on the drive home from the dealer, before I fitted the winter wheels.
May I ask what tire size you have on these 18" rims and are they just them generic black rims?
I am looking at purchasing these second hand 18" came off a Veloster. Currently there are 215/40/18 summer tires installed. Really hoping this will fit and work as I know nothing about tires, but would be converting these to my Winter rims.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs

·
Registered
49 Posts
May I ask what tire size you have on these 18" rims and are they just them generic black rims?
I am looking at purchasing these second hand 18" came off a Veloster. Currently there are 215/40/18 summer tires installed. Really hoping this will fit and work as I know nothing about tires, but would be converting these to my Winter rims.
View attachment 38176
You need 235/65r18 for the tires. You need to check the offset and the width of the mags, these should be stamped on the inside of the mag. Look for the markings "AA"x18 and ET"BB", AA is the mag width BB is the offset. Original AA = 7.5" and BB=49.5mm. If you use the tire wheel calculator on post I mentioned in post #47 you can see how it compares to the OEM tires and wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if aftermarket tpms sensors would work for a new set of rims? They would have to be reprogrammed I presume.

·
Registered
MY22 Balance Vision RWD Cyber Gray
58 Posts
Looks like 17 inch wheels will fit, they have a set listed as an available accessory on the Canadian website. Build and Price | Hyundai Canada
Wouldn't this have an adverse effect on ground clearance and handling. I5 is - standard - delivered with 19" as the smallest so 17" means (all other things being equal) that you'd lose 1" ground clearance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wouldn't this have an adverse effect on ground clearance and handling. I5 is - standard - delivered with 19" as the smallest so 17" means (all other things being equal) that you'd lose 1" ground clearance.
The tyres on smaller wheels have a higher profile so usually little or no change in rolling circumference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The size of the 17 inch will be 235/65/17 which has a diameter almost equal to the two stock sizes of 235/5519 and 255/45/20. A 0,5% difference in diameter for the former and identical for the later.
235/55-R19 vs 235/65-R17 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World
255/45-R20 vs 235/65-R17 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does anyone know if aftermarket tpms sensors would work for a new set of rims? They would have to be reprogrammed I presume.
I wouldn't bother with aftermarket TPMS. I tried with some Schrader sensors but accidentally bought the wrong ones. The Hyundai ones are about CAD 150 for four part number Q5H40AK000. You can buy the individually #52940-L1100. the new on-line configurator in Quebec it says $171.25 including installation, which is pretty reasonable. In hindsight I wish I had gone that route, which would have been much safer and saved from making an expensive mistake.

·
Registered
117 Posts
17” is the diameter of the rim not the tire. The tire diameter would stay roughly the same. It’s common practice to downsize for winter tires since there are more hazards and what not so it’s less likely to cause damage with a thicker tire/smaller rim. Also people like to go narrower for better snow traction.

·
Registered
44 Posts
17” is the diameter of the rim not the tire. The tire diameter would stay roughly the same. It’s common practice to downsize for winter tires since there are more hazards and what not so it’s less likely to cause damage with a thicker tire/smaller rim. Also people like to go narrower for better snow traction.
Another big reason to downsize is 17inch tires/wheels will be significantly cheaper vs 19/20 inch.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts