Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can always downsize as long as overall diameter is equal. More tire choices in 18-19 inches than 20 usually. Not a bad thing to go a bit narrower (235) for better traction.

you can play arround with different specs on this site

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
The OEM 19" Tires are 235/55/R19.

I got some matching 235/55/R19 studded Michelin X-Ice North for mine.
Now have to upgrade the insulation of the front wheel liners. The rears wheel liners are insulated, the fronts are just straight plastic and the tyre noise is pretty awful.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The OEM 19" Tires are 235/55/R19.

I got some matching 235/55/R19 studded Michelin X-Ice North for mine.
Now have to upgrade the insulation of the front wheel liners. The rears wheel liners are insulated, the fronts are just straight plastic and the tyre noise is pretty awful.
oh now you got me worried as I went with studded tires also. Let us know how you go about insulating wheel liners as well as improvement in noise level.

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
212 Posts
i really hope they choose to send the car to Canada w an All Season tire w M&S rating, biggest waste putting summer tires on this car, especially if one can get by without winters, all Season and chains in event I need better traction, the car is heavy enough as is

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
i really hope they choose to send the car to Canada w an All Season tire w M&S rating, biggest waste putting summer tires on this car, especially if one can get by without winters, all Season and chains in event I need better traction, the car is heavy enough as is
I think summer tires are always a good idea. Proper M&S wear much quicker in summer. The reason is that the rubber has to be much softer at cold temperatures. So if you drive in summer, it gets that much hotter and the wear is much worse, as they make the rubber mix way softer than on summer tires.

You are basically losing money keeping M&S on in summer, not to mention the traction is worse. Also the summer 235/55/19 are just about on the limit of grip. The studded winter ones give me wheelspin from a start, so you actually have to be more careful with the pedal. I have the AWD model. The RWD is going to be even worse in this regard.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
Mandatory here too, but I don't think I would have gone for studded if I knew the noise is so bad. I'll get the front wheel wells insulated in a week or two, and I will update whether it is improved or not.
You can listen to the current noise here:
Use the indicator sound as a guide to set the loudness of the video, it's pretty loud on the Ioniq 5.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I picked my car yesterday, opted for 19” Yangju bicolour wheels with Continental Viking Contact 7. My salesperson has an IONIQ5 with 20” Yongin wheels which he regretted and wished he went with the 19” instead.

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Project 45 AWD Ultimate 73 Kw
23 Posts
I'm not quite sure how the winter weather is in the Netherlands, but I for sure wouldn't go trough the winter without proper winter tires here in Denmark. :cool:
But it all depends on your driving needs, and whether you just commute on larger roads and/or in the cities, or if you need to travel on smaller roads. :)
As far as I've heard, the car is shipped with either Michelin Pilot Sport or Michelin Primacy tires. They are both categorized as summer tires, and for sure has rather great performance on both dry and wet roads... As long as the temperature is above 8-10 degrees celsius. When the temperature drops below that, and even below freezing temperature, the rubber in the tires gets stiffer, and therefore the tire performs worse. It probably will do fine on dry roads, but on wet/snowy/icy roads I wouldn't risk it. ;)
All season EV tires can be used at a pinch in Germany, but they must be declared as such either on the tire, or on documentation that is kept within the car that precisely nominates the tires as fitted as ALL SEASON.
The primary issue, aside from proper grip and safety, is that should you have an accident with incorrect seasonal tires fitted, the opposing insurance company could come after you with issues surrounding fit for purpose tires. Indeed it's possible you could have an issue with your own insurance.
Most Germans I know have two sets of wheels. The dealer will offer to bag and store the alternate season's wheels for you, there is a cost associated, but it's worth it for the convenience. For extra peace of mind I purchased a 15mm thick white acrylic paint pen and painted my initials on the internal facing tire wall overlapping onto the internal rim surface (of both sets) as my 20" rims and wheels had less than 2500kms on them at change over. The mechanic at the dealer thought it was a great idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just ordered an ionic 5 and dealer told me Hyundai is recommending 255/45/20 for winter tires. I live in Sweden.
Interesting. My I5 came with 235/55R19 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV ("Nordic-style" non studded) winter tyres on Hyundai rims. Horrendously expensive at 2 800 €, but as it was part of the purchase price and discounts, it is funny money of a sort.

I am happy with the tyres; quiet, nice to drive (not wobbly), good grip.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts