Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD, Phantom black, black interior
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
TL;DR at the end

This is the case, although it looks like y'all sorted that out.

That seems like a bad idea, even ethics aside, based on efficiency and how GD long it'll take. If you want to charge the tesla 10-80, you're looking at sub-50% efficiency and like 50+ hours of sitting around waiting for it to happen. You'd be limited by 1) 1300W maximum charge rate into the tesla 2) ~300W burned in the Tesla just keeping the computers on 3) ALSO 2-300W burned in the Ioniq 5, same issue. So you'd probably have to DCFC the I5 3 times to fill the tesla up once, and you'll spend 50 or 60 hours of plug time doing it.

I can. The US-spec V2L has a properly bonded GND+Neutral, as you can see in the last picture here (yellow-green earth wire bonds over to blue neutral) Inside the Hyundai/Kia V2L Connector Admittedly, I didn't get specific about that or provide a full schematic.

It's been pointed out, but this is wrong. Neutral and Earth should be bonded at exactly one point: the source of power into the home. That's at the primary service in a household installation, and nowhere else, to make sure there's ONLY fault current on the ground conductor. In a generator scenario, which this is, that needs to happen at the inverter, which is why the USA V2L adapter is wired this way.

Not a stupid question, and confuses literally everyone who's not an electrical engineer or electrician. "Ground" does not necessarily mean literal earth, although that's usually the case, and there's nothing magical about the earth, other than it's a half decent conductor and by convention every AC distribution system uses it in some capacity or another.

The point of a ground wire is to carry fault current when you drop your metal toaster, stuff inside breaks, and the hot lead comes in contact with the metal shell. Contrived example, but that's the crux of it. It should be safe to touch, and robust enough to trip the breaker if a hot wire shorts to it.

The fault isn't the tesla cord - the tesla cord is just VERY robustly engineered with excellent safety considerations, and won't work in detectably-unsafe conditions.

TL;DR: you want one of these: a ground-neutral bonding plug. It'll solve your problem, and in this application it's perfectly safe:

The issue at hand is that ground needs to be connected to neutral somewhere, or ground is open, and that's the fault the Tesla cord detects.
In USA NEMA 5-15 plugs, the current carrying conductors are polarized: one carries the 120VAC hot phase and one carries neutral, defined by tying it to the system ground back at the main service, for safety reasons stated above. The only thing the Tesla UMC cares about is that current can flow between neutral and ground, implying that the ground return path is valid in case a fault happens.

I'm surmising from the info here that Korean electrical installations don't have a concept of plug polarity, and thus the Korean V2L adapter doesn't bond either pin to the ground pin like the North American adapters do, hence needing to make one of those cheater plugs like in the video above.
I appreciate all the feedback. Sure, I do recognize the slow pace of charging. It could be done at a leisurely pace over the weekend, etc. in between outings, and more likely to supplement our usual charging at home. I did not however anticipate the extra draw from both cars' computer activity. In the end, I did pick up the US V2L today, and will have that handy for any other regular V2L uses.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback. Sure, I do recognize the slow pace of charging. It could be done at a leisurely pace over the weekend, etc. in between outings, and more likely to supplement our usual charging at home. I did not however anticipate the extra draw from both cars' computer activity. In the end, I did pick up the US V2L today, and will have that handy for any other regular V2L uses.
Yeah, that's the single biggest gotcha of L1 charging. It's not so much that it takes forever, it's that the quiescent draw of the car basically makes your energy 30% more expensive. Or 50-60% more expensive in the scenario you propose, though I admit 60% more than 0 is still free if you're willing to waste that much time :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Success! I picked up the US V2L at my dealer today. Plugged in the Tesla travel cord with the level 1 adapter and no errors. I’ll run it overnight and see how it all shakes out. I set the limit on the Ioniq to stop at 30%. Next I’ll make sure the Ioniq cord works.
Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Gadget Wheel

Peripheral Steering part Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Audio equipment

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dose anyone know if those two clips on the top and the bottom are able to be 'wired to' on the inside of the Koran V2L?

jump them to Neutral like in the USA version? on my $7 USA amazon adaptor those top and bottom do make contact to the ground on the face of the adaptor on the like the one in this picture..

Possible to MOD the Koran V2L, rather than paying shipping to return it to Korea ;-) and getting a USA version now that the price has dropped.

Product Sleeve Gas Electrical wiring Gadget

·
Registered
326 Posts
Dose anyone know if those two clips on the top and the bottom are able to be 'wired to' on the inside of the Koran V2L?

jump them to Neutral like in the USA version? on my $7 USA amazon adaptor those top and bottom do make contact to the ground on the face of the adaptor on the like the one in this picture..

Possible to MOD the Koran V2L, rather than paying shipping to return it to Korea ;-) and getting a USA version now that the price has dropped.

View attachment 43616
Watch the video linked before and create neutral to ground bonding plug and use that to create bonded ground? You will probably have to use plug splitter so that you can plug the bonding plug in one of the sockets. You MAY BE able to modify the adaptor itself but from watching the video before, I think using plug splitter is probably better idea since you will most likely use power strip anyways and you don't ALWAYS need bonded ground for things that you will be plugging into the socket.

·
Registered
158 Posts

View attachment 43616
Don't know how simple it is to open the adaptor itself. But if you can, solder a 14 awg wire between the ground pin or clips and the neutral. Same idea as making a neutral to ground bond plug. Make sure you make a good solder connection or use wire nuts etc if possible. You dont want to have a loose connection that can cause a fire, etc

·
Registered
90 Posts

The biggest issue with this is that the Korean socket and the USA adapter both appear to be non polarized, so it’ll be bonded correctly in one possible orientation, but incorrectly in the other. That’s probably the route id try to take but the external bonder might be easier.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
158 Posts
The biggest issue with this is that the Korean socket and the USA adapter both appear to be non polarized, so it’ll be bonded correctly in one possible orientation, but incorrectly in the other. That’s probably the route id try to take but the external bonder might be easier.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah that's a good point. It nay be possible to connect a polarized 2 wire plug the wrong way. Is the amazon USA adaptor you have polarized? i.e. has a long slot for neutral and a short slot for hot on the USA side?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Success! I picked up the US V2L at my dealer today. Plugged in the Tesla travel cord with the level 1 adapter and no errors. I’ll run it overnight and see how it all shakes out. I set the limit on the Ioniq to stop at 30%. Next I’ll make sure the Ioniq cord works.
Results: with the US spec V2L and Tesla cord, I was able to transfer about 40 miles to the Tesla from about 9:00 last night to 6:00 AM = 4.4 mi/hr. This rate seems to jive with level 1 charge rate, and I am totally satisfied with that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah that's a good point. It nay be possible to connect a polarized 2 wire plug the wrong way. Is the amazon USA adaptor you have polarized? i.e. has a long slot for neutral and a short slot for hot on the USA side?
The adapter I purchased (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09PNJ7HTV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details ) only goes into the V2l one way. The ground plug of the adapter makes electrical connection to the V2l ground strips in two places and is connected to the ground on the 3 prong US plug of the adapter. I don't know if the cars ground will make the testa happy or if the ground and neutral have to be connected together elsewhere. My son outlaw is coming over this weekend with his model Y. I'll try to set up a test. Regardless my OEM V2l from Korea works great for everything else I tried it on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
... elsewhere. My son outlaw is coming over this weekend with his model Y. I'll try to set up a test. ...
:LOL:
If you have a multi-meter, just perform a continuity test between the neutral slot (left one and long one), and the ground on the socket with the adapter connected to the V2L, and the V2L connected to the car. This will confirm if your neutral and ground are bonded

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't know if the cars ground will make the testa happy or if the ground and neutral have to be connected together elsewhere.
They have to be connected anywhere, and I think we've determined that the Korean V2L adapter does not short either phase with ground internally. Just make one of those bonding plugs above.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The adapter I purchased (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09PNJ7HTV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details ) only goes into the V2l one way. The ground plug of the adapter makes electrical connection to the V2l ground strips in two places and is connected to the ground on the 3 prong US plug of the adapter. I don't know if the cars ground will make the testa happy or if the ground and neutral have to be connected together elsewhere. My son outlaw is coming over this weekend with his model Y. I'll try to set up a test. Regardless my OEM V2l from Korea works great for everything else I tried it on.
ERE, my Korean adapter worked with everything I tried except the Tesla.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts