Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
ECO. The estimate range between them isn’t huge.

270 miles is more than Hyundai claim for the AWD isn’t if?

What’s your miles per kWh?
Between 3.5 and 4.5 miles/kWh. My dealer seemed impressed with my 270 mile range when he handed it over fully charged and I was expecting a lot less but I am not complaining, I'm guessing as it gets colder it will drop

·
Registered
201 Posts
Between 3.5 and 4.5 miles/kWh. My dealer seemed impressed with my 270 mile range when he handed it over fully charged and I was expecting a lot less but I am not complaining, I'm guessing as it gets colder it will drop
Yes, but what does the accumulated trip computer say? It looks like about 3.7. We are on 3.1. The Rsymons 500 mile video trip from Edinburgh had them on 3.0.

We do a lot of motorway miles and don’t drive particularly economically. Once you hit 70+ the efficiency drops off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, but what does the accumulated trip computer say? It looks like about 3.7. We are on 3.1. The Rsymons 500 mile video trip from Edinburgh had them on 3.0.

We do a lot of motorway miles and don’t drive particularly economically. Once you hit 70+ the efficiency drops off.
From memory I think it said I did 3.7m/kWh going to Ambleside, but I do try to stay below the maximum 70 😇although Bluelink did say my maximum speed was 97 which I know was in sports mode while overtaking several lorries in the middle lane, and an avg speed of 49mph there was a lot of slow traffic from Windermere to Ambleside and Keswick

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
453 Posts
I also have a 38kWh Ioniq which I’ve had since April.... You’ll have had two winters in yours, what is yours averaging out at, and how many miles have you done so far?
Only had one winter in it as bought exactly a year ago, didn't do many miles then tbh. Over the year since then have done 7k miles, mostly since lockdown ended, average 4.7 m/kWh, but that's a bit misleading since I get a lot more going gently (6+), but happy to belt along in summer when I've plenty of range so getting less than that at times (4+). I topup in summer on solar panels so it's not costing me extra to go faster, except more tyre wear. But this is rather off-thread for an I5 discussion, except to make them all jealous! :)

Reactions: Knight Rider

·
Registered
40 Posts
Would you be willing to disclose which dealer (or dealer group) has AWD stock arriving in December? I'm being told a 6 month wait(!). The car you have on order is exactly what I'm looking for — I live at the opposite end of the country, but would be prepared to travel, rather than wait until March....
There is a guy on this forum selling an Ioniq 5 (Project 45) Gravity Gold if you're interested (same as mine).

·
Registered
201 Posts
From memory I think it said I did 3.7m/kWh going to Ambleside, but I do try to stay below the maximum 70 😇although Bluelink did say my maximum speed was 97 which I know was in sports mode while overtaking several lorries in the middle lane, and an avg speed of 49mph there was a lot of slow traffic from Windermere to Ambleside and Keswick
No idea how you’re averaging 3.7. I’ve just tried my best over 20 miles and managed 3.6 but that was really trying!

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
398 Posts
No idea how you’re averaging 3.7. I’ve just tried my best over 20 miles and managed 3.6 but that was really trying!
20miles are WAY too short to determine the true consumption. It reflects just that trip but are not equal to the true consumption.

Starting with a cold car used loads of power to heat the cabin, heat the battery, geting fluids up to temperature, wheel bearings, tires etc... to get a proper reading close to a true mile/Wh number you need to go at least 40miles, preferably 100+. Else it only reflects the trip you just did and are not comparable on the forums.

·
Registered
201 Posts
20miles are WAY too short to determine the true consumption. It reflects just that trip but are not equal to the true consumption.

Starting with a cold car used loads of power to heat the cabin, heat the battery, geting fluids up to temperature, wheel bearings, tires etc... to get a proper reading close to a true mile/Wh number you need to go at least 40miles, preferably 100+. Else it only reflects the trip you just did and are not comparable on the forums.

It wasn’t from a cold start. I’d just driven for 20 mins to get to a charger as I had a stuck vent flap and figured plugging it in to a charger would actuate the vent flaps which it did. The car was fully warmed up. Anyway, regardless I’d struggle to maintain an average of 3.7 driving normally on my usual routes.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
398 Posts
It wasn’t from a cold start. I’d just driven for 20 mins to get to a charger as I had a stuck vent flap and figured plugging it in to a charger would actuate the vent flaps which it did. The car was fully warmed up. Anyway, regardless I’d struggle to maintain an average of 3.7 driving normally on my usual routes.
This is why I love my Ioniq 28 at 6+miles/kWh summertime, and why didn't go SUV with big tires.

Hopefully the Ioniq 6 will get a bit better. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
398 Posts
That said, it charges so fast on the DC chargers. I parked up beside a Tesla M3. We started at roughly the same SoC and i hit 80% while he was still in the mid 60s.
But he does only need 50% to travel the same as you at 80%.... Charging is never a Kilowatt or % game, it's about mph. How long do you need to charge to travel a certain mileage. (My sissy battery of 28kWh gets to 80% way faster then Ioniq 5 gets to 80%)

Most Teslas are running between 0-50% SOC when on a longer trip. Their charging network along with a great route planner makes it easy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
But he does only need 50% to travel the same as you at 80%.... Charging is never a Kilowatt or % game, it's about mph. How long do you need to charge to travel a certain mileage. (My sissy battery of 28kWh gets to 80% way faster then Ioniq 5 gets to 80%)

Most Teslas are running between 0-50% SOC when on a longer trip. Their charging network along with a great route planner makes it easy.
It’s not about charging either it’s about overall journey time.

Having borrowed a friend’s M3 for a week I have some experience of exactly how far one will go on 80%. While the fast charging of the I5 doesn’t make up for the longer range of the Tesla it does narrow the gap. He reckoned he had another 15-20 mins to get to 80%.

The Tesla Supercharger network is obviously very widespread but the rest are catching up. I’ve had no trouble in finding and using fast/ultrafast chargers.

One other observation I’ve made is VW, Audi, and MB have more problems getting charging points to work than I have in the I5. On three separate occasions I’ve come across those models not able to charge when the I5 charged ok. My other half experienced this again yesterday coming back from Leeds although this time it was a Tesla at an Ionity charging point.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
398 Posts
It’s not about charging either it’s about overall journey time.

Having borrowed a friend’s M3 for a week I have some experience of exactly how far one will go on 80%. While the fast charging of the I5 doesn’t make up for the longer range of the Tesla it does narrow the gap. He reckoned he had another 15-20 mins to get to 80%.

The Tesla Supercharger network is obviously very widespread but the rest are catching up. I’ve had no trouble in finding and using fast/ultrafast chargers.

One other observation I’ve made is VW, Audi, and MB have more problems getting charging points to work than I have in the I5. On three separate occasions I’ve come across those models not able to charge when the I5 charged ok. My other half experienced this again yesterday coming back from Leeds although this time it was a Tesla at an Ionity charging point.
All good points made!

When/if Tesla makes their network available to all it will be superb for my car with small battery. Just go 100miles, stop for 20min then go again etc. For me rarely going on trips requiring DC charging I don't care how much it costs as it's such a little part of my total miles. I fancy the seamless experience before fiddling with RFID and apps. As of now I'm confident traveling in my country but I'm lost of going abroad. With Teslas network - just go all fine. :D

·
Registered
2021 Project 45
79 Posts
I'm averaging 3.3 in my Project 45 (the RSymons one), after 150 miles, driving around town in Normal mode with Auto regen at reasonable (within the speed limit or a smidge over).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Assuming you're on a green electricity tarrif is overall vehicle use efficiency actually much of a concern? I guess learning how to drive efficiently and knowing what range you'll get in colder/wetter/windier conditions will be useful for planning the occasional big runs. But for the majority of trips which will be well under the range and ending back at the "filling station" at home, surely driving normally or even enjoying the performance when safe to do so is what these EVs are all about?

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 73kw on order
39 Posts
I guess overall efficiency and range is any buyers concern but not the ultimate game changer. Or if it is for some people, the ioniq 5 is not the best choice atm. My reasons are the huge space inside, having to take as much U11 and U13 players with me in the weekend as possible (and by the end of the lease, U17). Going on a France family holiday. Getting to work comfortably… good efficiency was important but not that I would take a M3 over anything

·
Registered
2021 Project 45
79 Posts
Assuming you're on a green electricity tarrif is overall vehicle use efficiency actually much of a concern? I guess learning how to drive efficiently and knowing what range you'll get in colder/wetter/windier conditions will be useful for planning the occasional big runs. But for the majority of trips which will be well under the range and ending back at the "filling station" at home, surely driving normally or even enjoying the performance when safe to do so is what these EVs are all about?
I'm not overly bothered. The most annoying thing will be talking to people who pull a face when I mention the range.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts