Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I ordered my Ioniq 5 over the weekend - was going to go for a RWD 73Kwh but the dealer had stock arriving for AWD (with tech and eco packs) sooner and with a decent deal so my heart over-rode head! Hoping to get it in early December.

I loved the car when I test-drove (RWD version)...loving the reviews and reading all your comments with interest. But I am getting seriously concerned about motorway range. The car I have ordered has the EcoPack but there seems to be so little information about the effect this has on range during winter months. I live in the South of England and have to travel to see family in the North East - around 250 mile journey up the A1 (for those in the UK that know that road)...what do you think my realistic expectation should be in terms of stopping off for a charge on the way up on a typical chilly, drizzly, UK winter evening?

I am going fully EV and have a VW ID3 on order as well (no heat pump on that one) - so rather going into EV fully committed! Got my home charger fitted - just waiting for the cars now!

Any thoughts or experiences gratefully received.....

·
Registered
Project 45 Phantom Black
45 Posts
Don't worry. I've found that the range is plenty, even for long trips. It's a little early to tell but it looks like we'll get around 320km range on Eco when it's around -5C. If you have an Ionity charge station or other fast chargers along the route you only need a short stop there. About 20 minutes from 10 to 80%, somewhat depending on battery temperature.

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Ultimate AWD on Order
60 Posts
I would guess you would have to stop for a charge but there are plenty of places along the way, they’re is an IONITY at Peterborough so a good place for a top up.

Use Zap-Map route planner

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Everyone

I ordered my Ioniq 5 over the weekend - was going to go for a RWD 73Kwh but the dealer had stock arriving for AWD (with tech and eco packs) sooner and with a decent deal so my heart over-rode head! Hoping to get it in early December.

I loved the car when I test-drove (RWD version)...loving the reviews and reading all your comments with interest. But I am getting seriously concerned about motorway range. The car I have ordered has the EcoPack but there seems to be so little information about the effect this has on range during winter months. I live in the South of England and have to travel to see family in the North East - around 250 mile journey up the A1 (for those in the UK that know that road)...what do you think my realistic expectation should be in terms of stopping off for a charge on the way up on a typical chilly, drizzly, UK winter evening?

I am going fully EV and have a VW ID3 on order as well (no heat pump on that one) - so rather going into EV fully committed! Got my home charger fitted - just waiting for the cars now!

The 250 mile trip would at most require 1 stop and if you use a fast charger, its about the time it would take you to have a toilet break and get some coffee?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Everyone

Would you be willing to disclose which dealer (or dealer group) has AWD stock arriving in December? I'm being told a 6 month wait(!). The car you have on order is exactly what I'm looking for — I live at the opposite end of the country, but would be prepared to travel, rather than wait until March....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would you be willing to disclose which dealer (or dealer group) has AWD stock arriving in December? I'm being told a 6 month wait(!). The car you have on order is exactly what I'm looking for — I live at the opposite end of the country, but would be prepared to travel, rather than wait until March....
Sure - it was Ken Brown in Letchworth - whether I was being fed a line I don't know, but their explanation was that they ghost order to get stock, and presumably they then need to shift it off their books as quickly as possible. They gave me a February lead time for the RWD version...(I've had a VW ID3 on order since July and delivery keeps shifting, not sure I will see that this side of Christmas, so took the opportunity - plus I did really want the AWD version but was trying to be all sensible about it :D)

Whether they have more than just that one available I'm not sure, but worth an ask....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 250 mile trip would at most require 1 stop and if you use a fast charger, its about the time it would take you to have a toilet break and get some coffee?
Thanks for the responses....so what do you think a sensible place to stop would be. Have popped it into ZapMap and it recommends services 176 miles into the journey - is that going to be comfortable to reach do you think? Just want to make that first journey as least scary as possible being an EV newbie :)

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
453 Posts
The AWD you're getting has the large battery, so you'll be fine. Trick is to set out gently, say 60+ mph just faster than lorries, and see how your safety margin behaves. Actual efficiency can vary a lot, damp roads, cooler battery actually holds less electricity even though says 100% SOC, might be some headwind, crosswinds affect drag also, heating requirements cost a few miles, might be dry & sunny at start but rain expected in the North, ...... so best to get a feel for what the day's like.

Then speed up a bit as you get more confident, also as you get closer to a 100% guaranteed fillup place (destination cottage with 13A socket, whatever) you can crank up the speed and run the reserve down progressively towards 2% (if you want!) as I do in my Ioniq.

If you're lucky you'll get overtaken by a high speed coach doing 75, then you can slot in behind & use radar-controlled ACC to keep you a safe distance behind while sheltering a bit from the wind, does wonders for the m/kWh!

I recently did a long trip up A1(M) to North Yorks. I stopped at Ferrybridge services, there are 3 Gridserve Rapids there. 2 weren't working (but should be by now!), so I went about 25 miles further north to Wetherby Services near Harrogate (plan B), again 3 Gridserves, which were working, so got my topup there. More Rapids at Scotch Corner but haven't used those ever.

Usual Costas etc at these places so good for a break. Some Instavolt locations like Banbury 1/4 mile off the motorway are good for charging as here are 8 Rapids there, but facilities like loos etc are sorely lacking, and can close around 5 or 6 pm.

Reactions: Mikster

·
Registered
453 Posts
176 miles into trip is no problem for you in 73 kWh battery, even in snow in winter flat out I'd say. Relax. Have a play with abetterrouteplanner.com and try adjusting the temperature, headwind, weather conditions etc, and see what that suggests. You can select the Europe long range I5 in there so it already knows enough to give an estimate for you.
This app gets shortened to ABRP in here, saves a lot of typing and miss-spelling!

Always have a plan B, and a plan C. e.g on my trip my topups were Ferrybridge (failed), Wetherby(worked - yea!), Scotch Corner + a slight back-track as would have overshot my optimal A1 exit.

And on a long trip like that if plans B & C fail, you can use zap-map to hunt for other Rapids, but single ones might be in use, so look for multiples. Again these can be in use (I waited for 3 others in Wetherby as failures from Ferrybridge were there before me!) so allow an extra hour in your journey, just in case you end up faffing around. And have a practice charging wih your chosen Rapid supplier(s) of choice so you know your app works. Gridserve is just bank credit/debit card, so really easy, and how they should all be (but aren't!). Instavolts are excellent & reliable. Much liked in here. BP & Shell aren't, as a rule, though I've used a single Shell Rapid ok. Once they'd mended it.

I also use Hyundai ChargeMyHyundai, that app starts up most Rapids around, but Gridserve isn't on their list, and BP Pulse Rapids are giving me grief - I have H trying to fix one for me. Fat chance tho', imho. I have the cheapo pay-as-you-go subscription to this, H add 50p on top of whatever charge the Rapid makes, but at least it's handy if raining, and the debits are done at the back-end & it's another Plan-B assist device for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the responses....so what do you think a sensible place to stop would be. Have popped it into ZapMap and it recommends services 176 miles into the journey - is that going to be comfortable to reach do you think? Just want to make that first journey as least scary as possible being an EV newbie :)
I'm sure that would be totally fine. You'll want a break then anyway won't you?

I've got a 166 mile motorway journey coming up on Thursday in my RWD 73kwh. I fully expect to be able to do it in one, but there's an Ionity station en route, which is about where I expect I'll need a coffee, so will fit in a 10 minute charge there if it's free. (I wouldn't hog if someone desperate turned up)

I used to drive a Leaf 40 kwh and that was a struggle for long journeys. But with the range and the speed of charge of the Ioniq 5, I feel like range anxiety isn't an issue for me now.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've got a 166 mile motorway journey coming up on Thursday in my RWD 73kwh. I fully expect to be able to do it in one...
Expect? If you fail, you deserve shooting! :eek::ROFLMAO:

I can do that in my Ioniq 38 & arrive with 20 miles range left in GOM. Without trying hard! I have to slow a bit for a 160 mile trip in winter though, if I want to arrive with 40 in the GOM.

Reactions: Superhero

·
Registered
199 Posts
Without trying too hard you’ll get 200 miles from 100% charge so will be good for 176 no problem. Obviously will drop a bit in the coldest days. I am seriously looking at getting 19” wheels for winter tyres
a touch more range. Personally I think the AWD is about 30 miles short on range to make it perfect. Those last two battery slots would have helped!

However, I tend to stop every 150-160 miles so a quick splash and dash and that’s a one stopper for your trip. Therefore, I don’t have any range anxiety at all. Get into that habit rather than trying to max the range.

Peterborough has the Ionity chargers. They are a bit too close heading north from the South East for me and a bit too far south heading from the North.

We will soon be doing Scotland to England and back as a regular trip and that’s a three stopper for us. I’ve done it on two but was a bit tight at the end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Expect? If you fail, you deserve shooting! :eek::ROFLMAO:

I can do that in my Ioniq 38 & arrive with 20 miles range left in GOM. Without trying hard! I have to slow a bit for a 160 mile trip in winter though, if I want to arrive with 40 in the GOM.
Of course. I could drive like a maniac with heating on full blast and still be fine.

·
Registered
Waiting for delivery of RWD 73KW Premium Ioniq 5
17 Posts
Sure - it was Ken Brown in Letchworth - whether I was being fed a line I don't know, but their explanation was that they ghost order to get stock, and presumably they then need to shift it off their books as quickly as possible. They gave me a February lead time for the RWD version...(I've had a VW ID3 on order since July and delivery keeps shifting, not sure I will see that this side of Christmas, so took the opportunity - plus I did really want the AWD version but was trying to be all sensible about it :D)

Whether they have more than just that one available I'm not sure, but worth an ask....
Interesting, probably dependent on what colour you wanted? I got told the opposite - I ordered a RWD 73Kw Premium in Lucid Blue on 1 Oct and told it will be Mid December - if I wanted a AWD Ultimate with any packs in Lucid Blue it would be Feb '22 (if I was lucky!). As I was OK with the Premium I was swayed. Mind you it all seems to be a mystic art how they reserve them - I wait and see!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting, probably dependent on what colour you wanted? I got told the opposite - I ordered a RWD 73Kw Premium in Lucid Blue on 1 Oct and told it will be Mid December - if I wanted a AWD Ultimate with any packs in Lucid Blue it would be Feb '22 (if I was lucky!). As I was OK with the Premium I was swayed. Mind you it all seems to be a mystic art how they reserve them - I wait and see!
I was quite relaxed on colour and the car we test drove happened to be the colour for the AWD car (Shooting Star Grey), so we were happy on that basis....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses - really helpful. I know I have to get into a different mindset about how I travel - am very excited about it all - hopefully I will be able to report back my experiences in a couple of months....

·
Registered
10 Posts

OK interesting, thanks. A long shot maybe, but I'll give them a call. This is a tricky situation for somebody as incredibly impatient as I am :oops:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses - really helpful. I know I have to get into a different mindset about how I travel - am very excited about it all - hopefully I will be able to report back my experiences in a couple of months....
Yes needs a different approach to driving. Good friends of ours bought a Q4 eTron without much research and always buy Audi from the same dealer. Sold it back to them a month later. They couldn’t cope with the range anxiety, and they only do one long journey a month and it’s always the same journey, nor the size of it. I did suggest it was far too big for their use and something much smaller would have been better suited for them. Anyway back to a diesel A4 Avant. 😂

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
397 Posts
But I am getting seriously concerned about motorway range.

As with all battery powered toys you now days buy it including battery and run it until batteries are depleted, then throw it away.

I'm sure someone will invent a way to recharge a battery, but we are simply not there yet. Probably 10 years away we will see batteries capable of being recharged.

·
Registered
Skoda Yeti 2.0 Very clean diesel (according to VW). Ioniq 5 Ultimate AWD 73kWh tech and eco in 2021!
30 Posts
As with all battery powered toys you now days buy it including battery and run it until batteries are depleted, then throw it away.

I'm sure someone will invent a way to recharge a battery, but we are simply not there yet. Probably 10 years away we will see batteries capable of being recharged.
Oh come on! Recharging batteries? You'll be telling us next you can run a car on sunshine!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts