Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
381 Posts
I would love to see some pictures of the production Ioniq 5 without all those covers hiding its real appearance. So far its specifications have been its main selling point, but the physical looks are just as important. If it's going to be as ugly as the "45" concept car (a.k.a. "Mandalorian helmet"), I'll just have to pass, no matter how excellent its specifications are.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would love to see some pictures of the production Ioniq 5 without all those covers hiding its real appearance. So far its specifications have been its main selling point, but the physical looks are just as important. If it's going to be as ugly as the "45" concept car (a.k.a. "Mandalorian helmet"), I'll just have to pass, no matter how excellent its specifications are.
Here's a video showing the IONIQ 5 on track at Nurburgring. It has the camo paint, but none of the cladding.

People are different, I love the 45 concept! If it differs too much, and looks like "every other car" I'll probably walk away.
Agreed. I really like the look of the Hyundai 45 concept, and I like that the production version seems to be preserving a number of the elements that make it stand out.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
381 Posts
Here's a video showing the IONIQ 5 on track at Nurburgring. It has the camo paint, but none of the cladding.
Yes, I've seen that, but it's still hard to make out any details. I wonder why they are so anxious to release the technical details, but still keep their design under wraps? Perhaps they are still making adjustments, and can't decide on which target group to reach?

An ultra futuristic "concept 45" design may only appeal to a select group that wish to make a statement with their choice of car. A more conventional look may reach a broader market, but may also force them to sell at a lower price. Personally, I hope for the latter.

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
I think they go for some form of diversity. I am sure there will be other, more conventional types in the coming years that are better suited for those who do not like this special Ioniq 5 type of design.

Reactions: IRONIQ

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, I've seen that, but it's still hard to make out any details. I wonder why they are so anxious to release the technical details, but still keep their design under wraps? Perhaps they are still making adjustments, and can't decide on which target group to reach?

An ultra futuristic "concept 45" design may only appeal to a select group that wish to make a statement with their choice of car. A more conventional look may reach a broader market, but may also force them to sell at a lower price. Personally, I hope for the latter.
Camo wrap is very common for pre-production test cars, even if the final design is already locked in. Some key reasons are that the test cars do not have production paint/colors, and may even have mismatched panels or missing aesthetic trim. It also helps to hide the layers of dirt and bird poop accumulated during the thousands of miles of testing. Manufacturers do not want the first glimpses and photographs that people see of their upcoming vehicles to be grimy and dirty. They want the first showing of the official production vehicle to be under the best light possible.

I don't think of the 45 Concept as being ultra futuristic, but rather a throwback to the wedge profiles of the 1970s. There's a bit of DeLorean even in the front fascia and headlights that I rather like (Giugiaro designed both the original Hyundai Pony Coupe concept and the DMC 12). I understand that the design may be polarizing, hence Hyundai is hedging their bets with the differently styled Kia "CV" and the Genesis "JW" that may appeal to different audiences.

·
Registered
36 Posts
C'mon Hyundai, reach out to some of your Australian Ioniq customers and offer them a test drive to gauge consumer sentiment. Happy to give it a spin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts