Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my RWD Kia EV6 and purchased a Ioniq 5 AWD. Below is copy and paste from my past posts on Kia EV6 Forum of a trip I make about every 2 weeks.
(First Post)
I Have a GT-Line RWD. I just took a trip to Sacramento from Reno. Nearly all freeway. Used ACC set at 65 MPH. Temperatures between 42-72F. No wind. No climate control. Reno to Sacramento is over Sierra Nevada Mountains mostly downhill and reverse on the way back to Reno. Trip meter showed average 4.6 kWh/mi on the way to Sacramento and 3.1 on return. So average of 3.85 kWh/mi X 77.4=298 miles. Did I figure this right? If so not bad. I previously drove 75-85 mph across Nevada in 15-34f temperatures, no climate control, with headwind and only got a range of about 195 miles. That had me worried.
(Later post)
Just redid this trip. Simular conditions. 3.9 kWh. Pretty consistent. So 97% freeway works out to a range of 302 miles. Not bad at all.

(Last post)
I just redid this trip again in my Ioniq 5 SEL AWD (I sold the RWD EV6 and bought a Ioniq 5). The only real difference was my wife was not with me (so 120 lbs less weight). I used air conditioning for about 10% of trip and started trip at 80% charge instead of 100%. I used Eco mode as before. Resulting average 3.85 kWh which would be a 298 mile range. So looks like ECO mode disconnecting front motor is true.

SaveShare

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
750 Posts
I sold my RWD Kia EV6 and purchased a Ioniq 5 AWD. Below is copy and paste from my past posts on Kia EV6 Forum of a trip I make about every 2 weeks.

(Later post)
Just redid this trip. Simular conditions. 3.9 kWh. Pretty consistent. So 97% freeway works out to a range of 302 miles. Not bad at all.

(Last post)
I just redid this trip again in my Ioniq 5 SEL AWD (I sold the RWD EV6 and bought a Ioniq 5). The only real difference was my wife was not with me (so 120 lbs less weight). I used air conditioning for about 10% of trip and started trip at 80% charge instead of 100%. I used Eco mode as before. Resulting average 3.85 kWh which would be a 298 mile range. So looks like ECO mode disconnecting front motor is true.

SaveShare
I mean I'm sure its true, why would hyundai lie about that and drum up a fake ux indicating it :p.

That being said, it sounds like you drive like me, on the freeway but around 70. I'm seeing high 280's and 290's against 100% charge all the time on mixed driving, love it!

·
Registered
386 Posts
This has been argued to death. Every indication is that eco mode doesn't completely disengage the front motor, but only really uses it for the first bit of acceleration and then mostly disengages it (almost as good :p). The EV6 is ever so slightly more "slippery" so it's range degradation with speed shouldn't be quite as bad, but the general trend of ~20%/10mph above ~55ish seems to be consistent across reports (assuming eco with ACC). I could never drive without climate control, that's impressive :p

In any case, your conditions there are very nearly "best case". Moderate to warm weather, no climate control, no headwind, moderate speed. That's still exceptional for something that is nominally rated for ~250 combined.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD Ultimate with tech and eco packs. Shooting star grey. UK MY 22. Collected May 2022.
55 Posts
This has been argued to death. Every indication is that eco mode doesn't completely disengage the front motor, but only really uses it for the first bit of acceleration and then mostly disengages it (almost as good :p). The EV6 is ever so slightly more "slippery" so it's range degradation with speed shouldn't be quite as bad, but the general trend of ~20%/10mph above ~55ish seems to be consistent across reports (assuming eco with ACC). I could never drive without climate control, that's impressive :p

In any case, your conditions there are very nearly "best case". Moderate to warm weather, no climate control, no headwind, moderate speed. That's still exceptional for something that is nominally rated for ~250 combined.
If you toggle the driver display there’s an option to see power flow. It shows power going to both wheel sets sometimes. Give it a try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

(Later post)

(Last post)

SaveShare
So I just redid this same trip again with the following changes:
I used normal (instead of ECO) mode. ACC was set to 72 MPH. Air conditioner was on for 50% of trip. Average was 3.7 kWh or 286 miles. So much for ECO and disconnecting front wheels. The 10 mile range loss was probably mostly due to higher speed and air conditioning use. I will really be interested doing this trip in winter and seeing how much range is lost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts