Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
Yes, you are correct, I have the same problem. Either sacrifice a slot or manually move the seat back each time so I can even get in it.
It's a super simple change when you have access to all the software, but it will probably not get done.

I don't even think about any of that with the Audi. I open it, it's already all moving by itself. How it should be done, and the Audi is 10 years old next year. Oh well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, you are correct, I have the same problem. Either sacrifice a slot or manually move the seat back each time so I can even get in it.
It's a super simple change when you have access to all the software, but it will probably not get done.

I don't even think about any of that with the Audi. I open it, it's already all moving by itself. How it should be done, and the Audi is 10 years old next year. Oh well.
I agree, my old girl has a few years on yours but it's so good, like you say you never have to think about it, it's doing it all for you and you just jump in and go.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
265 Posts
I agree, my wife can’t be bothered going into the software to change the name of the person driving—it takes several taps on the screen and is quite slow. The door buttons simply don’t work. She just manually changes her seating position—she finds that to be quick and painless.
It is totally inexcusable that Hyundai have not managed to sort this one out and associate seating positions with key used or key first sensed. Grrr!

Every time you get in the car it offers the profile select screen. You simply pick your profile and press confirm. You don’t need to fish about in the infotainment screens. It’s certainly more hassle resetting everything each time.

My beef with it is that my wife is shorter than me and drives with the seat very far forward so I need to squash myself into the car first then select my profile and press confirm.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
Trouble is that the system takes a while to boot and become responsive so you are sitting there like a lemon with the screen not responding.
And if you just start driving then it won't let you change the profile. So you literally have to sit and wait every single time.

·
Registered
Skoda Yeti 2.0 Very clean diesel (according to VW). Ioniq 5 Ultimate AWD 73kWh tech and eco in 2021!
80 Posts
Every time you get in the car it offers the profile select screen. You simply pick your profile and press confirm. You don’t need to fish about in the infotainment screens. It’s certainly more hassle resetting everything each time.

My beef with it is that my wife is shorter than me and drives with the seat very far forward so I need to squash myself into the car first then select my profile and press confirm.
I seem to remember the manual mentions a feature that will automatically move the driver's seat back by a specified amount on entry/exit. Is this another one that didn't make it to the production versions of the Ioniq 5, or would it offer a solution to this problem? Or would it slide back to allow you to enter easily then slide forwards and pin you to steering wheel as soon as you close the door?

[THUMBS THROUGH PDF] Here it is…
Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Number

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The door buttons work fine, but they are set for each profile individually. So if you don't want to switch profile, then you need to set one for you and one for the wife.
OK - I have fiddled around some more and realise that to activate the seat positioning one must press one of the two buttons VERY briefly. Press too long and it goes to the "Saved" mode.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I seem to remember the manual mentions a feature that will automatically move the driver's seat back by a specified amount on entry/exit. Is this another one that didn't make it to the production versions of the Ioniq 5, or would it offer a solution to this problem? Or would it slide back to allow you to enter easily then slide forwards and pin you to steering wheel as soon as you close the door?

[THUMBS THROUGH PDF] Here it is…

Yep...the seat goes back as soon as the power is switched off and the door opened. Through the infotainment system you can set one of two positions for the seat to retract. Presumably the short one would be for situations where there was a person or item in the back seat well that you didn't want to risk being squished.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
It works fine, but even if it's in the easy entry mode for my wife I can't fit in (big height difference).

·
Registered
265 Posts

I have that set to extended. It does it when you exit the car but not when you get in, or ours isn’t. Also interesting that it says the steering wheel adjusts automatically too which, if course, it doesn’t.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree that they key and profile should have been linked, but with regards the motorised rear view mirror abd motorised steering wheel adjustment, that's two more motors... the IONIQ 5 isn't a luxury car and isn't priced as such. It also doesn't have (for example) electronically adjustable suspension, or pixilated LED headlamps, or automatic headlamp height adjustment, or motorised door opening, etc etc etc. There's a limit to the features that Hyundai can add to the car, for the price. And they chose not to include motorised rear view mirror and steering wheel adjustment.

PS. Linking the key and profile may have required more radio sensors inside the cabin?

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
I agree that they key and profile should have been linked, but with regards the motorised rear view mirror abd motorised steering wheel adjustment, that's two more motors... the IONIQ 5 isn't a luxury car and isn't priced as such. It also doesn't have (for example) electronically adjustable suspension, or pixilated LED headlamps, or automatic headlamp height adjustment, or motorised door opening, etc etc etc. There's a limit to the features that Hyundai can add to the car, for the price. And they chose not to include motorised rear view mirror and steering wheel adjustment.

PS. Linking the key and profile may have required more radio sensors inside the cabin?
Rear view mirror and seat belt motorization is indeed usually reserved for top end luxury cars.
But electric steering column definitely not. Last time I checked Tesla wasn't a luxury car. Many cars in the middle segment have electric reach and tilt adjustment on the steering column.

As for linking the key and profile, it would absolutely not need any extra sensors.
The car already knows exactly which key was used to unlock the doors. It requires only a small integration in the infotainment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Rear view mirror and seat belt motorization is indeed usually reserved for top end luxury cars.
But electric steering column definitely not. Last time I checked Tesla wasn't a luxury car. Many cars in the middle segment have electric reach and tilt adjustment on the steering column.

As for linking the key and profile, it would absolutely not need any extra sensors.
The car already knows exactly which key was used to unlock the doors. It requires only a small integration in the infotainment.
I discovered today that my friend's very ordinary Subaru Forrester sets the seat position by means of facial recognition.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I discovered today that my friend's very ordinary Subaru Forrester sets the seat position by means of facial recognition.

Wouldn’t you have to be in the seat first though for that to work?

I want the car to set itself up for me before i get in it. Presumably the Hyundai keys are coded in such a way that both keys can be uniquely identified. I don’t know whether or not the car is smart enough to know which side of the car the key is nearest.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don’t know whether or not the car is smart enough to know which side of the car the key is nearest.
I haven't tested this one but in previous cars with keyless entry it wouldn't open if the key was on the other side to the door you're trying to open - i.e. driver has key, passenger tries to open door before it's unlocked. Presumably it's a safety feature to some extent to stop people opening one of your doors just because you're near the car.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
The moment you unlock the car, whether you approach the car with motorized handles, or without. Or you use the keyfob the access system instantly knows exactly which key was responsible for unlocking the car. Every key transmits it's ID together with the rolling code over 433mhz. The ID never changes, the code does.

In diagnostics in measured values you most likely can see also which key is being used.
And chances are if you tap the convenience CAN this information might even be broadcasted somewhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thanks @projix , I hadn't realised that!
OMG … thanks heaps! That explains why it has seem to me that the door buttons hadn’t worked – I had change the screen driver not realising that that would change the settings associated with driver one and two. Another words driver one and a driver to on the door simply mean positions one and two associated with that particular screen profile. Finally it makes sense !

21 - 40 of 40 Posts