1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding seat position memory (screen vs door buttons) the manual says:

Storing Positions into Memory
1. Check the shift lever is in P [...]
2. Adjust the driver's seat position, side view mirror position and instrument panel illumination [...]
3. Press the SET button. The system will beep once [...]
4. Press one of the memory buttons within 4 seconds [...]
"Driver 1 (or 2) settings saved" will appear on the LCD display

OK...but I can't for the life of me see a SET button anywhere. There's a Save on the screen if I'm changing settings on the screen but where's this SET button? Can anyone throw any light on this? I have never been able to get the door buttons to do their thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The PDF of the manual (albeit probably the UK version) is a bit different. For the door buttons:r
View attachment 36841

And for the infotainment:
View attachment 36842
Many thanks – I will give that a go. It looks like the Australian edition has some confusing mixture of settings.

Regarding the infotainment item you mention, nowhere is it made clear what the relationship is between modes 1, 2 and 3 and the two (only) seat settings on the door.

I can’t help feeling that somewhere in Korean Hyundai land there is some techie who is reading this and having a belly laugh over the whole fiasco.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Project 45 and E-Niro 4+. (Previously, Polestar2, Tesla M3, Ampera, Ioniq)
186 Posts
The seat memory stuff is VERY confusing. P45:
You have the 3 modes in the seating menu, and the 2 options of memory settings for drivers seat on the drivers door.
The spec of the car says that the passenger seat has the memory function. It doesn't.
If you use the 'relax' button on my passenger seat, when it returns to normal position it gets 1/2 way there then gives up.

The main problem is that a key cannot be linked to a profile so that when i unlock the car with 'my' key it will set my seat, mirror, other settings to my profile. That's a real annoyance. (IMO)

·
Registered
28 Posts
The main problem is that a key cannot be linked to a profile so that when i unlock the car with 'my' key it will set my seat, mirror, other settings to my profile. That's a real annoyance. (IMO)
It would indeed be helpful to have the profile selected automatically; but when both I and my wife are in the car with our keys, how would the car know which profile to use?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I have been getting very frustrated by this also, everytime the wife has been driving i have to sort out the seating, regen level etc.

What i suspect has been happening is she just jumps in and moves everything and goes and the car doesn't know it should be her profile based on the key present.

For a car so loaded with tech it's embarrassing to think they got this so wrong.

My audi from 2006 managed to do it correctly where the comfort access system senses which key approached the driver side and unlocks, moved the seats and mirrors, change radio and heat settings to what that driver likes. as your getting the door open

It even manages to do that when both drivers are at the car with both sets of keys because its capable of sensing the position of keys, so the car knows who's on the driver side.

Hyundai in 2021 has failed to do what other manufacturers done more than a decade ago :cry:

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Ultimate AWD + Tech + Eco Galactic Grey on Order
153 Posts
Well I have been getting very frustrated by this also, everytime the wife has been driving i have to sort out the seating, regen level etc.

What i suspect has been happening is she just jumps in and moves everything and goes and the car doesn't know it should be her profile based on the key present.

For a car so loaded with tech it's embarrassing to think they got this so wrong.

My audi from 2006 managed to do it correctly where the comfort access system senses which key approached the driver side and unlocks, moved the seats and mirrors, change radio and heat settings to what that driver likes. as your getting the door open

It even manages to do that when both drivers are at the car with both sets of keys because its capable of sensing the position of keys, so the car knows who's on the driver side.

Hyundai in 2021 has failed to do what other manufacturers done more than a decade ago :cry:
That must have been some Audi!

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
That must have been some Audi!
4E Audi A8 or probably even the 4F Audi A6.
My 4H Audi S8 has the same exact feature. Very good, everything is setup for you.

For dual use the I5 lacks electrically adjustable steering column and electrically adjustable seat belt height.
My Audi has both. But that's not the kicker.

I once owned a VW Phaeton. Was a very impressive car back then, but one of the most impressive things was that the CENTRAL rear view mirror in the cabin ALSO was motor controlled, and when you saved and recalled the memory, it moved that into position. You couldn't tell it could do that, because you still move it into position by hand, but seeing it move with the memory setting for the first time was a jaw drop moment for me. One of the cars I genuinely miss, it was damn near perfect.

·
Registered
153 Posts
4E Audi A8 or probably even the 4F Audi A6.
My 4H Audi S8 has the same exact feature. Very good, everything is setup for you.

For dual use the I5 lacks electrically adjustable steering column and electrically adjustable seat belt height.
My Audi has both. But that's not the kicker.

I once owned a VW Phaeton. Was a very impressive car back then, but one of the most impressive things was that the CENTRAL rear view mirror in the cabin ALSO was motor controlled, and when you saved and recalled the memory, it moved that into position. You couldn't tell it could do that, because you still move it into position by hand, but seeing it move with the memory setting for the first time was a jaw drop moment for me. One of the cars I genuinely miss, it was damn near perfect.
That’s my point those cars were very expensive in their day, not sure Hyundai can compete with that.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
It's not only that all of the hardware is present in the I5 to do the smart key option.
The Audi A4 B9 for example has this option, came out in 2015. And you could buy a such car new with the option for far less money than the Ioniq 5.
You could also get a 4G Audi A6 back in 2012 (I am not sure if 4F had this option or not), again with less money than the Ioniq 5, but you'd have to take the most basic engine and not pile on a lot of other options.

Not having a motorized steering wheel column is a huge bummer though. The Model 3 has it. And the Model 3 has much nicer adjustment on the steering column.
The Ioniq 5 has very very little reach adjustment, and it's an actual problem for me, as this with the combination of the way the front works, it means I can not see any useful information on it whatsoever, as the top of the steering wheel completely covers the top of the screen. Thankfully the HUD saves the day.

I have a fairly non-standard build though with all my height being in my legs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Whole heartedly agree with you, having experienced the tech that came in the 4e Audi which had its roots back in 2003 to what we're experiencing in the i5 hammers the point home quite hard.

Now I love the ioniq 5 for many reasons but the laziness in some aspects of the car sours the experience a little. For me the two biggest annoyances are the lack of smart key getting used in a manner that it could be and the fact that our rhd cars haven't had the layout of the infotainment changed to bring the buttons over to the driverside of the screen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I agree, my wife can’t be bothered going into the software to change the name of the person driving—it takes several taps on the screen and is quite slow. The door buttons simply don’t work. She just manually changes her seating position—she finds that to be quick and painless.
It is totally inexcusable that Hyundai have not managed to sort this one out and associate seating positions with key used or key first sensed. Grrr!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree, my wife can’t be bothered going into the software to change the name of the person driving—it takes several taps on the screen and is quite slow. The door buttons simply don’t work. She just manually changes her seating position—she finds that to be quick and painless.
It is totally inexcusable that Hyundai have not managed to sort this one out and associate seating positions with key used or key first sensed. Grrr!
Well it wasn’t listed as option so it is what it is, could still buy an Audi Q4 etron for another 10/15k.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
The door buttons work fine, but they are set for each profile individually. So if you don't want to switch profile, then you need to set one for you and one for the wife.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
You have two seat memory positions via physical buttons on the driver door, these affect only the driver seat.
You also have three seat memory positions via the touchscreen, under the seat memory menu - these affect all seats in the car (front and rear).

Both driver profiles have their own sets of memory for the physical buttons and for the touchscreen positions.
So each driver can set their own 2 positions for the physical buttons and 3 positions for the touchscreen buttons.
You also have a guest profile, which is basically nothing else than a 3rd driver profile. So you can store a total of 6 seat positions for just the drivers seat and 9 positions for all the seats in the car.

When you switch driver profile, it also switches the front seat to (IIRC) whatever is stored in physical position 1. It does that every time you switch profile.

It does not switch driver profile based on the key that was used to unlock the car. It's actually pretty ridiculous, but I doubt they will ever change that.
In my experience, if the car is not a Tesla, then do not expect that any significant functionality will change in the car with software updates until the mid-life refresh comes. Always buy the car based on exactly what you are seeing when you test drive. It will stay that way the entire time in 99% of the cases.

P.S.
1. The physical positions can be set by holding down the corresponding button when the ignition is on (or engine started) and the car is in park. If it is not in park it will not let you do it.
2. The passenger seat has memory (as does all of the other electric adjustment in the car), it can be accessed from the seat memory screen, it just does not have it's own physical button.
3. It is not super difficult to set the profile, it depends how you open the car. If you approach the car and you have the motorized handles it starts booting the software already the moment you walk up to it. After that you just have to wait a little until the screen becomes responsive, then it's 2 taps.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
I need to investigate a little, but it is possible that I could make a small device that when installed in the car would trigger the seat memory physical button based on which key was used to open the car.
It just depends if the access module broadcasts which key is detected on CAN. If it does then the rest is very simple.

If I get annoyed enough I might actually do it. Switching the actual profile though, that one is significantly more difficult if not impossible via a 3rd party device.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You have two seat memory positions via physical buttons on the driver door, these affect only the driver seat.
You also have three seat memory positions via the touchscreen, under the seat memory menu - these affect all seats in the car (front and rear).

Both driver profiles have their own sets of memory for the physical buttons and for the touchscreen positions.
So each driver can set their own 2 positions for the physical buttons and 3 positions for the touchscreen buttons.
You also have a guest profile, which is basically nothing else than a 3rd driver profile. So you can store a total of 6 seat positions for just the drivers seat and 9 positions for all the seats in the car.

When you switch driver profile, it also switches the front seat to (IIRC) whatever is stored in physical position 1. It does that every time you switch profile.

It does not switch driver profile based on the key that was used to unlock the car. It's actually pretty ridiculous, but I doubt they will ever change that.
In my experience, if the car is not a Tesla, then do not expect that any significant functionality will change in the car with software updates until the mid-life refresh comes. Always buy the car based on exactly what you are seeing when you test drive. It will stay that way the entire time in 99% of the cases.

P.S.
1. The physical positions can be set by holding down the corresponding button when the ignition is on (or engine started) and the car is in park. If it is not in park it will not let you do it.
2. The passenger seat has memory (as does all of the other electric adjustment in the car), it can be accessed from the seat memory screen, it just does not have it's own physical button.
3. It is not super difficult to set the profile, it depends how you open the car. If you approach the car and you have the motorized handles it starts booting the software already the moment you walk up to it. After that you just have to wait a little until the screen becomes responsive, then it's 2 taps.
The fact that your reply is so long shows the failings of the implementation, we both know how poor it is in comparison to the Audi's we have.

Just take one aspect of this the buttons are for storing positions for the selected profile. now in the case of my wife who's short her seat is far forward i can barely get in, so I either have to sacrifice a memory setting from her profile to allow me to move the seat to a position where i can get in then change to my profile. or sit folded up like a pretzel while trying to get the profile changed to mine.

I wish there was a way to feed these shortcomings back to Hyundai because if they don't get to hear they aren't going to change anything, now or in the future.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts