Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Another important consideration, I think, is that useful/acceptable information load might vary person to person (I assume this hasn't been studied in depth), nevermind personal preferences absolutely will... So why not make a lot of these things configurable?
Good point. I believe the HUD has an on/off toggle in the Ioniq. Personally, I have a pretty high tolerance for information load; playing video games (PC mostly) whenever my kids let me has gotten me used to lots of crap on the screen at once :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Alright folks, I've got an issue and I'd like to understand where your brains are at, because so far your brains leave me confused.

Do aesthetic's matter AT ALL to you??????

I can't count the posts of people comparing this car to the kia and VW etc... I just don't get it. The other ev's out right now look absolutely gross compared to the Hyundai. They literally aren't even comparable to me. But I keep reading posts of people comparing them and getting down on Hyundai about potentially costing more than a VW.

This has been extremely disappointing to see to me, and I can't keep it in any longer. Are cars nothing but an appliance to you!? Do you not love to drive?!?! Do you not smile when you perfectly time a pass or hit a corner at speed? Do nice clean interiors not move your needle! DO YOU NOT JUST LOVE THE OPEN ROAD!?!?!!?!?

I find extreme enjoyment from driving, and I care very much about the looks and styles of my cars. I know they aren't for everyone and this is all subjective based off of peoples personal tastes. But I just don't see how these cars are similar enough to compare them and be shopping both! They only have a battery in common to me. Maybe I'm way off like i have been on other thoughts tho, so please explain!

If its too pricey, get another hybrid or regular ice that will pass the time until you can afford one! Don't get some ugly ass thing and punish yourself for years!!

Okay rant over, sorry guys if I offended anyones tastes, I just needed to ask this

·
Registered
73 Posts

I can't count the posts of people comparing this car to the kia and VW etc... I just don't get it. The other ev's out right now look absolutely gross compared to the Hyundai. They literally aren't even comparable to me. But I keep reading posts of people comparing them and getting down on Hyundai about potentially costing more than a VW.

This has been extremely disappointing to see to me, and I can't keep it in any longer. Are cars nothing but an appliance to you!? Do you not love to drive?!?! Do you not smile when you perfectly time a pass or hit a corner at speed? Do nice clean interiors not move your needle! DO YOU NOT JUST LOVE THE OPEN ROAD!?!?!!?!?
Yes, and yes!

Aesthetic appeal and driving appeal absolutely matter to me. It's one of the reasons I will never buy an "appliance" like a Toyota. I think aesthetics are especially important in the EV space, since all of the cars are mechanically so similar - basically just battery packs with wheels. CUVs are also everywhere these days and the vast majority look the same (like the ID4/RAV 4/CR-V etc.). Automobiles can be drivable works of art - just look at the insane valuations of Ferrari 250 GTs.

Therefore, I'm glad Hyundai has tried to do something different with it's styling and I personally think the results are great. Some have said that it evokes 80s rally cars like the Lancia Delta Integrale, which I would somewhat agree with with.

I'm also fine with the 255 section tires, since they should improve handling and corner grip. I'm willing to take a trade-off in terms of range and efficiency here.

As a car guy coming from the land of ICE, the EV landscape is mostly bleak and boring. At least with ICE you have tons of different engine, transmission, and styling options to suit your needs. I'm glad Hyundai is trying to stir the pot and do something interesting. For those that want/need an appliance, stuff like the ID4 will always be there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yes, and yes!

Aesthetic appeal and driving appeal absolutely matter to me. It's one of the reasons I will never buy an "appliance" like a Toyota. I think aesthetics are especially important in the EV space, since all of the cars are mechanically so similar - basically just battery packs with wheels. CUVs are also everywhere these days and the vast majority look the same (like the ID4/RAV 4/CR-V etc.).

Therefore, I'm glad Hyundai has tried to do something different with it's styling and I personally think the results are great. Some have said that it evokes 80s rally cars like the Lancia Delta Integrale, which I would somewhat agree with with.

I'm also fine with the 255 section tires, since they should improve handling and corner grip. I'm willing to take a trade-off in terms of range and efficiency here.

As a car guy coming from the land of ICE, the EV landscape is mostly bleak and boring. At least with ICE you have tons of different engine, transmission, and styling options to suit your needs. I'm glad Hyundai is trying to stir the pot and do something interesting. For those that want/need an appliance, stuff like the ID4 will always be there.
100% the retro style is what sold me, its 90% of why I’m buying this car!

the Honda they released inEurope last year was even better. Specs are ehh but the car is beautiful!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
100% the retro style is what sold me, its 90% of why I’m buying this car!

the Honda they released inEurope last year was even better. Specs are ehh but the car is beautiful!!
Yeah that Honda looks great. I'm glad some manufacturers are realizing that, for some of us, styling is important and we want our cars to evoke something.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't count the posts of people comparing this car to the kia and VW etc... I just don't get it.
Most of the comparisons are of other EVs. You are right there isn’t anything like this out there. But the reality is we all want it but need to be able to afford it. The only thing to compare to is the cost of other EVs.

The second factor is that even though the car is gorgeous, it’s also from a manufacturer trying hard to shake off an image of cheaply built cars. For people new to Hyundai it can be a bit worrisome.

It’s not helped much (in the U.S. at least) by a significant lack of information from Hyundai. Here, pick a car. We aren’t sure what all we're going to allow it to do or of all it’s features, but reserve it anyway. It will cost some money but we really can’t tell you how much yet.

I’ve never been through a car buying process like this. It’s exciting and a bit scary at the same time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Most of the comparisons are of other EVs. You are right there isn’t anything like this out there. But the reality is we all want it but need to be able to afford it. The only thing to compare to is the cost of other EVs.

The second factor is that even though the car is gorgeous, it’s also from a manufacturer trying hard to shake off an image of cheaply built cars. For people new to Hyundai it can be a bit worrisome.

It’s not helped much (in the U.S. at least) by a significant lack of information from Hyundai. Here, pick a car. We aren’t sure what all we're going to allow it to do or of all it’s features, but reserve it anyway. It will cost some money but we really can’t tell you how much yet.

I’ve never been through a car buying process like this. It’s exciting and a bit scary at the same time.
All very good points. I'm jumping into Hyundai VERY optimistically. 5 years ago I would have slapped someone trying to get me to buy one.

I hope they release some more info soon. I was supposed to hit up my local dealer yesterday and meet with their sales manager, but got a call from a neighbor needing help bringing in some hay so got sidetracked. I am trying to get there today or tomorrow but he hasn't responded on if he's in today.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The best I can tell from the legal in the US, this is NOT a car buying process. That has to be done with a dealer. This is just loaning Hyuandi a small amount of money and giving them and idea of what specs the buyers want. I wish it was a true reservation experience like the ID4 had, ie price, options, etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Alright folks, I've got an issue and I'd like to understand where your brains are at, because so far your brains leave me confused.

I find extreme enjoyment from driving, and I care very much about the looks and styles of my cars. I know they aren't for everyone and this is all subjective based off of peoples personal tastes. But I just don't see how these cars are similar enough to compare them and be shopping both! They only have a battery in common to me. Maybe I'm way off like i have been on other thoughts tho, so please explain!

If its too pricey, get another hybrid or regular ice that will pass the time until you can afford one! Don't get some ugly ass thing and punish yourself for years!!

Okay rant over, sorry guys if I offended anyones tastes, I just needed to ask this
What gets me is how so many commenters (Battery Life, for instance) keep going on about how "huge" the thing is, but they don't use the same language for the ID.4 (which is slightly smaller) or the Model Y (which is somewhat larger), all three being in the same type and size classes. Aesthetically, only two things bother me about the I5... The white bezels of the displays even with black interior trim, and the lack of red paint (I'm sure people are tired of my mentioning that, lol).

Regarding purchase decisions: I'm waiting assuming I can find an apartment I can charge at, and no competitors I like better materialize. (Also, I'm a bit concerned by battery life's range test, though it's very nearly a worst case test and he was driving like a maniac in terrible weather)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been collecting the data on a number of EVs. See table below. I currently drive a Bolt and really like its size. I will transport 4 adults for a night out without any issue.
Vehicle Dimensions ChartWidthLengthHeightWheel BaseWeight
Tesla Model 3
76.0 in.​
184.8 in.​
57.0 in.​
113.2 in.​
4072 lb.​
Tesla Model Y (AWD) Red 5 seat
77.9 in.​
187.0 in.​
64.0 in.​
113.8 in.​
4416 lb.​
Chevrolet Bolt Electric w 66 kWh Bat 2022
69.5 in.​
164.0 in.​
62.8 in.​
102.4 in.​
3589 lb.​
Hyundai Ioniq 5 US has 77.4 kWh Battery
74.4 in.​
182.5 in.​
63.2 in.​
118.1 in.​
4785 lb.​
Chevrolet EUV 2022
69.7 in.​
169.5 in.​
63.6 in.​
105.3 in.​
3679 lb.​
VW ID4 RWD 77kWh per 6/18/20
83.0 in.​
180.5 in.​
63.5 in.​
108.9 in.​
4290 lb.​
Mustang Mach-E
74.1 in.​
185.6 in.​
64.0 in.​
4920 lb.​

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I have been collecting the data on a number of EVs. See table below. I currently drive a Bolt and really like its size. I will transport 4 adults for a night out without any issue.
Tesla Model 3
76.0 in.​
184.8 in.​
57.0 in.​
113.2 in.​
4072 lb.​
77.9 in.​
187.0 in.​
64.0 in.​
113.8 in.​
4416 lb.​
69.5 in.​
164.0 in.​
62.8 in.​
102.4 in.​
3589 lb.​
74.4 in.​
182.5 in.​
63.2 in.​
118.1 in.​
4785 lb.​
Chevrolet EUV 2022
69.7 in.​
169.5 in.​
63.6 in.​
105.3 in.​
3679 lb.​
83.0 in.​
180.5 in.​
63.5 in.​
108.9 in.​
4290 lb.​
Mustang Mach-E
74.1 in.​
185.6 in.​
64.0 in.​
4920 lb.​
High value post! Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
What gets me is how so many commenters (Battery Life, for instance) keep going on about how "huge" the thing is, but they don't use the same language for the ID.4 (which is slightly smaller) or the Model Y (which is somewhat larger), all three being in the same type and size classes.
I agree. At first, I figured the IONIQ 5 might look big to European commenters, who are used to small cars. But more and more commenters said the same thing. Maybe they thought it looks like a hatchback because it doesn't have a rear fixed quarter window behind the rear doors at the C-pillar. The IONIQ 5 is just slightly larger than the RAV4 and the ID.4.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree. At first, I figured the IONIQ 5 might look big to European commenters, who are used to small cars. But more and more commenters said the same thing. Maybe they thought it looks like a hatchback because it doesn't have a rear fixed quarter window behind the rear doors at the C-pillar. The IONIQ 5 is just slightly larger than the RAV4 and the ID.4.
Granted, the terms are pretty muddled, in the US they're all "Compact Crossovers" whereas the rest of the world seems to refer to them as "Midsize Crossovers", and whether they're called C or D segment seems to be pretty arbitrary. But the important thing is that they're all fairly comparable

Tesla Model 3
76.0 in.​
184.8 in.​
57.0 in.​
113.2 in.​
4072 lb.​
77.9 in.​
187.0 in.​
64.0 in.​
113.8 in.​
4416 lb.​
69.5 in.​
164.0 in.​
62.8 in.​
102.4 in.​
3589 lb.​
74.4 in.​
182.5 in.​
63.2 in.​
118.1 in.​
4785 lb.​
Chevrolet EUV 2022
69.7 in.​
169.5 in.​
63.6 in.​
105.3 in.​
3679 lb.​
83.0 in.​
180.5 in.​
63.5 in.​
108.9 in.​
4290 lb.​
Mustang Mach-E
74.1 in.​
185.6 in.​
64.0 in.​
4920 lb.​
I think your width number for the ID.4 is off, I think it's something like 72 inches, not 83. It would have really funny dimensions if it was that wide :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Granted, the terms are pretty muddled, in the US they're all "Compact Crossovers" whereas the rest of the world seems to refer to them as "Midsize Crossovers", and whether they're called C or D segment seems to be pretty arbitrary. But the important thing is that they're all fairly comparable

I think your width number for the ID.4 is off, I think it's something like 72 inches, not 83. It would have really funny dimensions if it was that wide :p
You are correct. It is 72.9 wide per data in Car and Driver. Somehow I got a dimention of 2108mm and conveted to inches.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tesla Model 3
76.0 in.​
184.8 in.​
57.0 in.​
113.2 in.​
4072 lb.​
77.9 in.​
187.0 in.​
64.0 in.​
113.8 in.​
4416 lb.​
69.5 in.​
164.0 in.​
62.8 in.​
102.4 in.​
3589 lb.​
74.4 in.​
182.5 in.​
63.2 in.​
118.1 in.​
4785 lb.​
Chevrolet EUV 2022
69.7 in.​
169.5 in.​
63.6 in.​
105.3 in.​
3679 lb.​
83.0 in.​
180.5 in.​
63.5 in.​
108.9 in.​
4290 lb.​
Mustang Mach-E
74.1 in.​
185.6 in.​
64.0 in.​
4920 lb.​
ID.4 curb weight and battery capacity need correcting as well.

Pro RWD 4559 lbs
1st Ed. RWD 4665 lbs
Battery is 82 kWh gross size and 77 kWh net

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello! I wanted to start this thread to give us a place to discuss things in general, without mucking up other threads. This can be about our future cars, our current cars, or the competitors cars! Heck, maybe something cool is happening in space and you wanted to talk about that! Basically anything is open, but I guess I'd caution we try to stay away from politics and religion as that is trouble anywhere.

Mods, if this shouldn't be in this section, I apologize.

This is going to be my first electric of any type, and I'm very excited. I am most looking forward to the acceleration, lack of noise and the clean interior of this car. I'm located in the North East USA and will be looking at an AWD model for the snow season.

Anyways, feel free to contribute however you all would like, or just creep along from the distance and dont! (y)
i own a 2019 hybrid and its only one on this island in Palawan, Philippines. n/o problems so far! Would like to have Ioniq-5 paying $5/gal! I also use and promo a Oral Stem Cell which helps reverse most major medical illnesses. It's available to the public without a prescription. FDA approved here as a food supplement! Anyone interested my email is: [email protected]

41 - 60 of 81 Posts