Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I wanted to start this thread to give us a place to discuss things in general, without mucking up other threads. This can be about our future cars, our current cars, or the competitors cars! Heck, maybe something cool is happening in space and you wanted to talk about that! Basically anything is open, but I guess I'd caution we try to stay away from politics and religion as that is trouble anywhere.

Mods, if this shouldn't be in this section, I apologize.

This is going to be my first electric of any type, and I'm very excited. I am most looking forward to the acceleration, lack of noise and the clean interior of this car. I'm located in the North East USA and will be looking at an AWD model for the snow season.

Anyways, feel free to contribute however you all would like, or just creep along from the distance and dont! (y)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great idea! This will also be my first EV. The instant torque is addicting and I likewise need AWD for the snowy season in Colorado, so I'm looking forward to the dual motor build.

Also looking forward to less hassle in terms of maintenance and going to gas stations. I'm coming from an 8 year old Audi which started to develop serious mechanical issues at 80k miles; needless to say I'm not buying another one.

Probably going to get an ND2 Miata for my weekend car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea! This will also be my first EV. The instant torque is addicting and I likewise need AWD for the snowy season in Colorado, so I'm looking forward to the dual motor build.

Also looking forward to less hassle in terms of maintenance and going to gas stations. I'm coming from an 8 year old Audi which started to develop serious mechanical issues at 80k miles; needless to say I'm not buying another one.

Probably going to get an ND2 Miata for my weekend car.
I was just going to ask. What is the maintenance on these things? Just wear parts like brakes? I have been changing all my outdoor tools over to electric and its been such a joy not dealing with oil, bad gas and carbs. That plus the torque is what makes electric appealing to me.

I've looked at miatas, I need a garage though before I start buying too many toys! There are plans for one, but with the price increases we've put it on hold. Unlikely it will drop soon, but I'm hoping in a year or two.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was just going to ask. What is the maintenance on these things? Just wear parts like brakes? I have been changing all my outdoor tools over to electric and its been such a joy not dealing with oil, bad gas and carbs. That plus the torque is what makes electric appealing to me.

I've looked at miatas, I need a garage though before I start buying too many toys! There are plans for one, but with the price increases we've put it on hold. Unlikely it will drop soon, but I'm hoping in a year or two.
Yeah I think its really just brakes and tires. Even brakes are done less frequently due to the regen braking/one pedal driving. Definitely agree about electric tools; most of ours are as well, with the exception of a big gas snowblower which we need for our huge driveway.

Prices for lumber are crazy right now so I totally understand putting off the garage. Hopefully they'll stabilize soon once more supply hits the market.

Have you test driven any other EVs? I've tried the Model Y and the Mustang Mach E. Model Y was pretty cool in terms of performance and minimalist design, but I don't like the one screen interface (no gauge cluster or HUD) and generally how Tesla has handled things like the removal of radar from its cars. Mustang Mach E actually drove better than the Tesla in some respects, like the suspension was better over rough pavement, but the interior feels relatively cheap and the long hood and smallish windscreen hamper forward visibility. I just didn't feel like the Mach E was worth the $57k sticker, though not a bad first attempt from Ford.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah I think its really just brakes and tires. Even brakes are done less frequently due to the regen braking/one pedal driving. Definitely agree about electric tools; most of ours are as well, with the exception of a big gas snowblower which we need for our huge driveway.

Prices for lumber are crazy right now so I totally understand putting off the garage. Hopefully they'll stabilize soon once more supply hits the market.

Have you test driven any other EVs? I've tried the Model Y and the Mustang Mach E. Model Y was pretty cool in terms of performance and minimalist design, but I don't like the one screen interface (no gauge cluster or HUD) and generally how Tesla has handled things like the removal of radar from its cars. Mustang Mach E actually drove better than the Tesla in some respects, like the suspension was better over rough pavement, but the interior feels relatively cheap and the long hood and smallish windscreen hamper forward visibility. I just didn't feel like the Mach E was worth the $57k sticker, though not a bad first attempt from Ford.
my thoughts are exactly the same as yours. i drove the mach e recently and i really liked the comfort and feel, and it was definitely a good car. the hood does reduce visibility compared to my model 3 and prius, but overall a good car. also aiming to keep the ioniq 5 for around 10 years, so i wanted something with fast charging and 800v architecture, as the industry is already going towards that. the mustang mach e just charges too slow.

Reactions: woods and rogu3

·
Registered
99 Posts
The I5 is at the top of my list (Provided I'm living somewhere where I can charge in a few months). If it happens and I go with it, it'll be my first EV as well (I think that'll be the majority of buyers). The 800V charging makes it super competitive compared to all the other non-teslas, it's comparatively tall cabin and more interesting exterior styling give it an edge on the EV6 (which has better interior styling IMO). I'm not sure I'll be able to get over Hyundai's frustratingly poor color selection but we'll see. I'd ideally get the LR AWD config, but that depends on prices and exactly how the configurator ends up shaking out (and real world range)

·
Super Moderator
1,781 Posts
Hello! I wanted to start this thread to give us a place to discuss things in general, without mucking up other threads. This can be about our future cars, our current cars, or the competitors cars! Heck, maybe something cool is happening in space and you wanted to talk about that! Basically anything is open, but I guess I'd caution we try to stay away from politics and religion as that is trouble anywhere.

Mods, if this shouldn't be in this section, I apologize.
Anyways, feel free to contribute however you all would like, or just creep along from the distance and dont! (y)
Could you suggest a better name for this thread? I am sure part of our participants will not recognize what is meant here.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only ev I've ever driven is a golf cart!!! I think the teslas are all super ugly as well as the ford. Tesla also likes you to pay top dollar to be a guinea pig and I don't like that. I have owned Fords and not been impressed with them and hate their infotainment. The real deal killer was naming it a mustang but making it look like a minivan. I just refuse to play those games with companies. This Hyundai will be my first one, not even planning on test driving it honestly.

The I5 is at the top of my list (Provided I'm living somewhere where I can charge in a few months). If it happens and I go with it, it'll be my first EV as well (I think that'll be the majority of buyers). The 800V charging makes it super competitive compared to all the other non-teslas, it's comparatively tall cabin and more interesting exterior styling give it an edge on the EV6 (which has better interior styling IMO). I'm not sure I'll be able to get over Hyundai's frustratingly poor color selection but we'll see. I'd ideally get the LR AWD config, but that depends on prices and exactly how the configurator ends up shaking out (and real world range)
I'm with you here, as far as the looks. I honestly wouldn't be seen driving the Kia one (I own a kia, not brand snob) as I think it looks weird and ugly. What appeals to me about the Hyundai, is that IMO it does a great job of mixing the retro elements with newer ones, and keeps it super simple and clean, I agree that it is disappointing what they are offering for colors, and the naming of them is completely asinine as well. I strongly dislike the "modern car", and all of its style, forced tech and horribly laid out interiors. Why does every new car have a big f'ing screen in the middle of the windshield!?! Who decided we didn't want them below the windshield like the last 80 years! I really hate that new trend more than any other. Give me an old school vibe with a rocket for an engine and I will buy you car. This is what I think Hyundai is doing with it's approach. I also like the new Nissan 400z they are coming out with, and its older look and "outdated" style that makes me like it so much!

Could you suggest a better name for this thread? I am sure part of our participants will not recognize what is meant here.
I was wondering about that when I made it, wasn't sure about the international understanding for "B.S."

If you have a suggestion or anyone else I'd be happy to change it, or if you as a mod have that power, feel free to update it with a new title.

·
Super Moderator
1,781 Posts
You can see where all posters are from (except me); I believe for the rest of the world, the current title is not clear or not attractive.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can see where all posters are from (except me); I believe for the rest of the world, the current title is not clear or not attractive.
Right, it is a common thread for different areas on a toyota forum I'm active on, but it is a US/Canada based site where people understand.

I don't see an option to change the title on my own, if you can, lets do it. Maybe something like "Ioniq 5 random discussion thread" or "open discussion" I'm not sure what lingo is understood over in Europe honestly as all the different languages and cultures have their own lingo. There must be some sort of universal option though. Again, I don't know how to change the title, but feel free to alter it to something you think everyone would understand. I want as many people to participate as possible to make it a more fun and engaging thread.

·
Super Moderator
1,781 Posts
OK, I tried Random Discussion; what does it look like now? I think it is much better. If you prefer another one, let me know, for me it is very simple to change it.

Reactions: TRT and rogu3

·
Registered
72 Posts
Another benefit of EVs: no power loss at altitude. I live at 6000 ft/1800 m of elevation, which means that naturally aspirated engines lose about 20% of their power. Turbochargers somewhat make up for this, but they still suffer in terms of spool/lag time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to stir the pot, hows everyone feel about hydrogen? I'm all for it, and it seems like some of the asian manufacturers seem to be working on it. Sounds like theres a decent amount more for it to be mainstream obviously, but might be good for long haul trucking. I wonder if it could find its way into ships..which are the real polluters.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just to stir the pot, hows everyone feel about hydrogen? I'm all for it, and it seems like some of the asian manufacturers seem to be working on it. Sounds like theres a decent amount more for it to be mainstream obviously, but might be good for long haul trucking. I wonder if it could find its way into ships..which are the real polluters.
Hydrogen is interesting. Not sure if it's cost effective to produce yet, but I can definitely see the application for large transport like ships or trains. For cars, I think the convenience of being able to easily charge anywhere (especially at home if you can) far outweighs any benefits from hydrogen, especially if we get lighter and more energy dense batteries.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Random question for the day: Does anyone else think the Hyundai badge on the nose looks out of place (and maybe even disrupts the airflow), and the hood could it benefit from some debadging? The matte paint (if selected) would have to be treated gently, but people have debadged Veloster Turbos and Mercedes and others with matte paint, so it can be done.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Only ev I've ever driven is a golf cart!!! I think the teslas are all super ugly as well as the ford. Tesla also likes you to pay top dollar to be a guinea pig and I don't like that. I have owned Fords and not been impressed with them and hate their infotainment. The real deal killer was naming it a mustang but making it look like a minivan. I just refuse to play those games with companies. This Hyundai will be my first one, not even planning on test driving it honestly.

I'm with you here, as far as the looks. I honestly wouldn't be seen driving the Kia one (I own a kia, not brand snob) as I think it looks weird and ugly. What appeals to me about the Hyundai, is that IMO it does a great job of mixing the retro elements with newer ones, and keeps it super simple and clean, I agree that it is disappointing what they are offering for colors, and the naming of them is completely asinine as well. I strongly dislike the "modern car", and all of its style, forced tech and horribly laid out interiors. Why does every new car have a big f'ing screen in the middle of the windshield!?! Who decided we didn't want them below the windshield like the last 80 years! I really hate that new trend more than any other. Give me an old school vibe with a rocket for an engine and I will buy you car. This is what I think Hyundai is doing with it's approach. I also like the new Nissan 400z they are coming out with, and its older look and "outdated" style that makes me like it so much!

I was wondering about that when I made it, wasn't sure about the international understanding for "B.S."

If you have a suggestion or anyone else I'd be happy to change it, or if you as a mod have that power, feel free to update it with a new title.
I take a middle route. I kind of hate minimalism (as an engineer and as a user of things, IMO minimalism almost always comes at the cost of usability, at least before adapting to an uneccessary learning curve). At the same time, there are advantage to modern interface technology (they can display way more information and enable much greater configuration than old school dials and switches). I think the key is balance. I think modern displays should be the primary information displays, and that they should be as close to the eye line as practicable (Thus VW/Hyundai's approach is superior to tesla's in that they do not divert driver attention as far from the road). Additionally, I think AR HUDs like VW and Hyundai are adopting are a very good idea in principle as they can deliver vital information without diverting driver attention (In theory. I haven't driven one of these things yet so I can't comment on the reality, and I'm sure different people will experience these things differently. But the feature can be turned off anyway). I think, however, that common basic functions should retain dedicated, preferably physical controls as they are quick and easy to use on muscle memory alone (and just feel better to use). (In this the EV6 probably comes closest to the mark, as it at least retains dedicated controls for heated seats/etc which the I5 does not).

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The 800V charging makes it super competitive compared to all the other non-teslas
While this future proofs the car, it doesn't help much in the present. I think it will be years before you can go cross country with such fast charging readily available. Chicken and egg issue, but great that there are first movers on the car side. Easier than infrastructure though.

Reactions: woods

·
Registered
2020 Kona Highlander electric
115 Posts
While this future proofs the car, it doesn't help much in the present. I think it will be years before you can go cross country with such fast charging readily available. Chicken and egg issue, but great that there are first movers on the car side. Easier than infrastructure though.
Depends on country & destinations of course. In Australia I can drive from Brisbane to Adelaide = over 2000km with DCFCs (150+ kW) every 200-300km, and many ACFCs (7kW) in between. But that’s using major highways. If I want to use minor roads it gets much more problematic.

I suspect similar story in Europe?

[edit: whoops, got the spacing of DCFCs wrong. Now corrected.]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Random question for the day: Does anyone else think the Hyundai badge on the nose looks out of place (and maybe even disrupts the airflow), and the hood could it benefit from some debadging? The matte paint (if selected) would have to be treated gently, but people have debadged Veloster Turbos and Mercedes and others with matte paint, so it can be done.
I think I would prefer no badges on the front and rear, but removing them might involve more than warming them with a hairdryer and using some dental floss to break the adhesive bond. I think the badges might be recessed slightly into a dip in the body. You can see that the rear badge sits in a slight well and I assume the front might be the same.
I have seen videos of some preproduction cars without the rear badge, so I keep hoping the US won’t get the rear one.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts