Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
81 - 100 of 114 Posts

Registered
Fortunately I live in ACT so no stamp duty & 2 years free registration. 馃槉
Go on, rub it in. That's thousands of dollars less you're paying right there. And you've got your interest free loan for part of it.

I've since worked out stamp duty on EVs is 4.2% in Vic so that's a small saving. The EV tax is an annoyance, but at the end of the day doesn't change the running cost all that much and I'm still $2-3k better off than running an ICE car.

Registered
Plus a ongoing State tax of 2.5 cents/km in Victoria. I still find that incredible 馃槣
Fortunately I live in ACT so no stamp duty & 2 years free registration. 馃槉
Interesting, How is this tax determined? Do you self report how far you drove that month or year?

Registered
I find it strange that they can apparently tell exactly what colour options will be arriving but they can鈥檛 tell us the trim specs still. Seems to go against everywhere else in the world where trim specs were revealed before anything else.

Registered
I find it strange that they can apparently tell exactly what colour options will be arriving but they can鈥檛 tell us the trim specs still. Seems to go against everywhere else in the world where trim specs were revealed before anything else.
They can tell us the trim specs, but they want to wait for the press release first.

Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Interesting, How is this tax determined? Do you self report how far you drove that month or year?
Called the ViVe (Victoria Vendetta) tax. As a result Victoria has been labeled the most regressive EV government in the world. For some reason the Victorian government really hates EVs.

You鈥檙e supposed to self report, starting with a requirement on the start date of 1 July to photograph your odometer & send it to the government. You are then obliged to submit another photo of your odometer with your application to renew your registration each year. Non compliance can result in your car registration being cancelled.

As compensation, and after an initial backlash, the Government has offered a few freebies that will mainly benefit new EV purchasers but those who already own EVs don鈥檛 get much. And benefits expire after three, and possibly only one, year.

Some of the reaction here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Called the ViVe (Victoria Vendetta) tax. Victoria has been labeled the most regressive EV government in the world.

Registered
I had a call today from the dealer where I had placed my preorder. Key points:

• due to global demand the Australian allocation will be extremely limited (unsurprisingly)
  • Hyundai Australia has decided to handle orders directly so dealers have been instructed to pass on details to Hyundai Aus of anyone who has preordered
  • They will not be taking any further preorders, so if you haven't done so already you can't get into the queue

He couldn't tell me anything further about specs, prices or timelines, but said that Hyundai should contact me directly soon.

Registered
I got the same info about Hyundai Australia taking over the release of the Ioniq 5 from an Adelaide dealer. How did people go about pre-ordering? Was that back when dealers were taking orders?

Registered
How did people go about pre-ordering? Was that back when dealers were taking orders?
I saw someone somewhere (Twitter or Facebook probably) mention that they'd placed a pre-order with a dealer, so I called up the nearest dealer and asked if I could do the same. They accepted a $500 refundable deposit and I signed a contract with conditions that it was subject to price, specs and a test drive. That was back in March or April.

A month or so ago the dealer called to say that Hyundai Aus had taken it over, and also that from that point no one (dealers or Hyundai Aus) would take further pre-orders. They also refunded my deposit.

Registered
I've been advised dealers will still play some part. I guess we still need to pickup the cars somewhere, someone needs to service them and I'd hope we can trade in cars too.

Registered
I've been advised dealers will still play some part. I guess we still need to pickup the cars somewhere, someone needs to service them and I'd hope we can trade in cars too.
I was told there were 2 Victorian dealers to choose from (Essendon or Doncaster), and that the dealer would handle the trade-in. One of the dealers was the one I had pre-ordered with which is convenient.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Most of this is not new, but my latest contact with HMCA suggests if you鈥檙e on the reserved/preorder list:
  • You can put in a bid for 1 of 200 cars arriving end Sep/early Oct.
  • HMCA still developing the configuration tool for the bids but hope it will become available mid September
  • 160 kW cars priced $70-75K
  • 220 kW cars priced $75-80K
  • Pretty sure he said these are drive-away prices
Person I spoke with was using a spreadsheet & very careful to confirm my date of preorder (9 March) & what deposit I paid ($500). He also made note that I was trading in a Kona EV, & interestingly that I lived in Canberra where there was government support for EVs.

Registered
Most of this is not new, but my latest contact with HMCA suggests if you鈥檙e on the reserved/preorder list:
  • HMCA still developing the configuration tool for the bids but hope it will become available mid September
Person I spoke with was using a spreadsheet & very careful to confirm my date of preorder (9 March) & what deposit I paid ($500). He also made note that I was trading in a Kona EV, & interestingly that I lived in Canberra where there was government support for EVs.
Bids...

I hope that's not what it sounds like?

Registered
Sorry, that was my wording. He actually used the term 鈥渕atching鈥 car configurations with preorders.
Whew, had me worried they were turning it into an auction :)

I'd have opted out of this on principle I think.

Registered
I wonder if we get to find out what spec those cars have. I'd be willing to change what I set a little depending on availability.

Registered
I wonder if we get to find out what spec those cars have. I'd be willing to change what I set a little depending on availability.
My understanding is the trim level is the same for all. Only decisions to be made are rwd or AWD and interior and exterior colours

Registered
My understanding is the trim level is the same for all. Only decisions to be made are rwd or AWD and interior and exterior colours
Booo, I really wanted the glass roof, heat pump, tow package, and 19 inch wheels.

Hopefully those are all standard.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts