Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if there’s already a thread on Aus prices. If so this should go on that.

There’s been a bit of speculation on costs. And we will probably waiting for a couple of months before we really know.

In the mean time, This just came out from CarAdvice suggesting Australian prices will start with entry level in low $60k & go up to Highlander in high $80k. Which pretty much matches the published prices of UK models.

But the head of Hyundai Australia is on record for saying Australia is not considered a desirable market for EVs, so we just have to wait & see.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'll be happy if the top spec comes in at mid 80's or less. I'd hope we will get some info next month if the cars are still coming in Q3.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, my problem is I can’t help but compare the trim to Tesla, and when you look at the NZ specs it is only the top trim that definitely beats them. Not sure I can see myself spending over $80k on one though.. think I’d rather a Model 3 SR+ and put the saved money towards solar.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Fair enough, the size of a 3 doesn't suit me at all so it's a 5 or a Y for me. The Y has less range than the 3 so I'd probably need the LR which will be 90k plus I believe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don’t get me wrong i've got a 7 and 9 year old and a small dog so i'd also like the extra space a lot, but unless i'm reading those NZ specs wrong the only way to get a memory function on the seats (which not having is an absolute dealbreaker for me when considering a $60k + car for a one car family) is to buy the absolute top spec for apparently $85-90k + ORC. Which is absurd.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah we will just have to wait and see what Hyundai Australia decides to do regarding variants here. The wait is killing me :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah we will just have to wait and see what Hyundai Australia decides to do regarding variants here. The wait is killing me :)
CarAdvice “understands the first local details will go public in July or August”.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Some evidence that Kona is to cost less in future. Hyundai Australia looks like it will introduce Kona EV model with smaller battery, so that it is cheaper & not in direct competition with the IONIQ 5. Speculates accordingly that IONIQ 5 price will start at low $60k mark (before on road costs).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would like to see the NZ LR Elite spec under the rebate, but if I’m being honest with myself, the number of cars they’re going to send us they’ll be able to sell them all for the foreseeable future regardless of the NSW rebates. I think I’ll end up having to go with the smaller Tesla as a result.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But the head of Hyundai Australia is on record for saying Australia is not considered a desirable market for EVs, so we just have to wait & see.
Amazing what can change in a few weeks & a couple of government incentives. Latest from CarAdvice:
Hyundai Australia’s intention is to introduce every one of Hyundai’s new EVs to the local market," said John Kett, Chief Operating Officer of Hyundai Motor Company Australia, in an official media statement.
"We are committed to expanding our EV portfolio across Australia, starting with the new Ioniq 5 SUV later this year and shortly followed by the Ioniq 6 sedan and Ioniq 7 large SUV. Our aim is to be a leading Australian EV provider."

·
Registered
41 Posts
Let’s wait and see how they intend to price things before they get ahead of themselves with their EV goals in Australia. Based on what we’re seeing from NZ it’s hard to get too excited.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm still hoping that as the I5 top spec in NZ is priced about the same as the Palisade top spec it might mean the top I5 here is high 70's :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm still hoping that as the I5 top spec in NZ is priced about the same as the Palisade top spec it might mean the top I5 here is high 70's :)
If Hyundai AU can do a 72kWh spec with memory driver seat (which means the top Limited spec based on NZ) for under the $78k stamp duty threshold I might keep my order, but at this stage it seems mighty fanciful. Certainly if I were a betting man I can see myself more likely to cancel and order a $62k Tesla at this stage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah same boat here man. That SR model 3 is looking appealing especially considering it has more range I believe?

·
Registered
41 Posts
That Norway test is the only even test we’ve seen so far, and the SR+ managed just under 450km where the 72kWh Ioniq 5 did just over 500km. So when you take into account the Tesla’s better charging network (for now) I’d consider them pretty even.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Certainly if I were a betting man I can see myself more likely to cancel and order a $62k Tesla at this stage.
I looked at Model 3 when I eventually bought my Kona EV, which is about same size vehicle. $62k M3 is very basic vehicle registered in ACT, where they are sales tax exempt. It’s more likely high 60s for something decent. And you need to take Tesla range claims with a bucket of salt. That said I liked the M3, but reports on reliability & build quality really turned me off in the end. Mind you, the IONIQ 5 might price itself out of the market as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
$62k M3 is very basic vehicle registered in ACT, where they are sales tax exempt. It’s more likely high 60s for something decent. And you need to take Tesla range claims with a bucket of salt
The specs differences between the SR+ and LR are mostly down to AWD, range and acceleration. There are minor things like more speakers, fog lights, heated steering wheel and footwell lights. Generally speaking though the specs of the Model 3 SR+ compare favourably to all but the highest NZ trim of the Ioniq 5.
I do realise 450km is not a realistic range for the SR+, but my point was more that this is the only test we have so far directly comparing the Ioniq 5 to other cars in the same conditions, so it was more to show that the SR+ still has 90% of the range of the 72kWh AWD Ioniq 5 (and that gap likely shrinks even more at highway speeds due to the Model 3's better drag coefficient).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The specs differences between the SR+ and LR are mostly down to AWD, range and acceleration. There are minor things like more speakers, fog lights, heated steering wheel and footwell lights. Generally speaking though the specs of the Model 3 SR+ compare favourably to all but the highest NZ trim of the Ioniq 5.
I do realise 450km is not a realistic range for the SR+, but my point was more that this is the only test we have so far directly comparing the Ioniq 5 to other cars in the same conditions, so it was more to show that the SR+ still has 90% of the range of the 72kWh AWD Ioniq 5 (and that gap likely shrinks even more at highway speeds due to the Model 3's better drag coefficient).
There’s usually a bunch of SR+s on the Tesla site ranging from low to high $60k. Agree the dfferences in price relate to relatively subtle features. I thinks it’s very nice vehicle, but too small for me (even my Kona is bigger).

1 - 20 of 114 Posts