Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
That is super sweet. I would have preferred a more "off roady" wheels, but it looks great. Good job.
Thanks Seb. One could certainly go with grippier tires and even another step or two up on size. 255/60/R18 would fit for sure now especially with the lift installed. I’d love see someone try 260/s even. I would worry that something like a 260/70/R18 would start affecting the computer and speedometer and possibly put more strain on the motors. But even that is only 10% greater diameter than stock so who knows.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Nice. I was looking forward to seeing the HI5 lifted. Looks good. How difficult was the job? Any special tools needed?
No special tools needed for the lift. Just some metric sockets and two (2) floor jacks. I would say it is a job of moderate difficulty, with the only challenging part being reinsertion of the control arm bolts. This took some fiddling with the jacks and some tapping with a hammer to nudge in place. The first time I did it it took two hours then the second one an hour and finally the third time I did it just 30 minutes. I can make a video if time permits.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No special tools needed for the lift. Just some metric sockets and two (2) floor jacks. I would say it is a job of moderate difficulty, with the only challenging part being reinsertion of the control arm bolts. This took some fiddling with the jacks and some tapping with a hammer to nudge in place. The first time I did it it took two hours then the second one an hour and finally the third time I did it just 30 minutes. I can make a video if time permits.
That would be great...or at least a few pics with the things you learned. I live in the mountains and would love the extra ground clearance!
Thanks for all the work you've done.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
That would be great...or at least a few pics with the things you learned. I live in the mountains and would love the extra ground clearance!
Thanks for all the work you've done.
No prob. Give me a few weeks. FYI one thing I did not discuss in the video is to remind folks that this car was in no way transformed into a rock crawler. In fact, there were definitely a few times when the vehicle almost got stuck in the deep sand and I needed to back it out a bit and try again. For the mountains, I would probably go with something even fatter and taller say 265/65/R18 eg

·
Registered
46 Posts
No prob. Give me a few weeks. FYI one thing I did not discuss in the video is to remind folks that this car was in no way transformed into a rock crawler. In fact, there were definitely a few times when the vehicle almost got stuck in the deep sand and I needed to back it out a bit and try again. For the mountains, I would probably go with something even fatter and taller say 265/65/R18 eg

Thanks, but we are NOT looking for a rock crawler. Just looking for something like an electric Subaru Crosstrek. We have a rough road and can get a good bit of snow. The extra two inches would be quite useful.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks Seb. One could certainly go with grippier tires and even another step or two up on size. 255/60/R18 would fit for sure now especially with the lift installed. I’d love see someone try 260/s even. I would worry that something like a 260/70/R18 would start affecting the computer and speedometer and possibly put more strain on the motors. But even that is only 10% greater diameter than stock so who knows.
I was actually referring to the rims specifically. They are just not my cup of tea, but I think the car looks great overall and kudos to you for the pioneering spirit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
I was actually referring to the rims specifically. They are just not my cup of tea, but I think the car looks great overall and kudos to you for the pioneering spirit.
Ah yes. I went back and forth on the rims. Initially I selected a more traditional all black, military riveted style rim from Rhino but they were not available. So I went with something a little more unique. But the other would have looked pretty sweet too I bet. You can see example on my first post pic.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ah yes. I went back and forth in the rims. Initially I selected a more traditional all black, military riveted style rim from rhino but they were not available. So I went with something a little more unique. But the other would have looked pretty sweet too I bet. You can see example on my first post pic.
Yup, those are the exact kind of wheels I would have preferred :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Looks about right to me. The only thing I would say is that the set up I chose (and you have reserved) lifts the front of the car about 2.25” and the rear about 1.5”. This levels the car but there is about an inch difference in the wheel well so e above the tire. If you want to keep the same rake as stock you might want 1.5inch spacer in the front (instead of 2”) and about 1” in the rear.

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks about right to me. The only thing I would say is that the set up I chose (and you have reserved) lifts the front of the car about 2.25” and the rear about 1.5”. This levels the car but there is about an inch difference in the wheel well so e above the tire. If you want to keep the same rake as stock you might want 1.5inch spacer in the front (instead of 2”) and about 1” in the rear.

good luck
No, your setup is perfect for me!

Thank you @Jedi Raven

·
Registered
28 Posts
Care to share anything else? Has been a few months. Curious on specs for the shock and spring lift/spacers, may just fab my own (not a novice, hobbyist fabricator). A quick look at the rear they look like 2.5-2.75" springs, but haven't found rate details yet.
Want to give a minimal lift (1"-1.25" to avoid a few more tall curbs around here (wife ate a planter curb already...). And we typically have loads of stuff in the rear (sports gear, groceries, etc.) so likely want a little stiffer spring rate (possibly some simple airlift type inserts?). Any details you have would be great, just havent had time to throw it on the stands and pull it apart myself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I think that replacing the spring with something slightly stiffer and perhaps 2” more height in the front and 1.5” in the rear would be a good way to go. I used a 2” upper strut mount spacer in the front and a 1.2 inch spacer rings in the back. The spring rate is the same as factory which admittedly is slightly soft but I can live with it. It’s comfortable at that rate at least.

the only thing I would add, and this ia being a little finicky is that I notice a little bit of a knocking sound in the back sometimes especially in situations when the rearload is lightened (like going slowly downhill and apply the brakes). No one else notices it except for me because I know what to listen for.

I think the knocking sound in the rear might be due to the rear spring either not fully seating or occasionally tapping against the shock tower/frame. I would bet that if I installed some sort of 1” spacer/extender where the control arm bolts onto the frame that this would correct the spring angle, it would seat perfectly, and the knocking sound would disappear. This is just an educated guess however. I am not an expert in suspensions by any stretch.

keep us posted on what you do. I can say for certain that the increased height is a pure joy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ASilverFlash you are correct but who cares ions are cheap haha. But seriously range is not a major concern for me unless it’s abysmal. If the IONIQ offered a 50kW battery I would have chosen that trim level to save another $3k. Nonetheless, this will be an interesting experiment. The A/T tires I’m thinking are minimally taller and actually 10mm thinner than the SEL version. The tread of course is the main drawback for range but with the rims I selected the wheels will be lighter than stock overall. The aerodynamic roof rack will be minimal but it would be the full spare tire that on top that will be the killer. Also the roof rack, spare tire, toe hitch altogether will add more weight of course. All in all I would take a wild guess and say that my range would decrease from 250mi to about 200mi but this is just a guess. If it’s really horrible I could plan to connect the spare to a tow hitch wheel rack adapter in the back or even throw the spare in the trunk for long trips. That would fix the aerodynamics at least. Anyway once I get the car set up I will report the range. But take it with a grain of salt because I tend to have a lead foot as well haha. With the added weight of my fat arse plus my son who is growing exponentially things will get interesting.
Where did you purchase the rear seat back covers? GI128ADE00E

My dealer cannot locate in his system and searching online only lists EU sites that do not deliver to the US

61 - 77 of 77 Posts