Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Curious how the spaces/lift goes for you, hoping to take delivery of my Limited AWD in the next couple of weeks. Currently have a FWD CX-5 which is completely stock and have taken it through some pretty rough trails (to the racetrack in Death Valley, river road in big bend). I've been very happy with its 8.5in ground clearance, will definitely miss that.

The approach angles on the ioniq 5 seem pretty decent if you can get some ground clearance... the long wheel base doesn't help though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Curious how the spaces/lift goes for you, hoping to take delivery of my Limited AWD in the next couple of weeks. Currently have a FWD CX-5 which is completely stock and have taken it through some pretty rough trails (to the racetrack in Death Valley, river road in big bend). I've been very happy with its 8.5in ground clearance, will definitely miss that.

The approach angles on the ioniq 5 seem pretty decent if you can get some ground clearance... the long wheel base doesn't help though.
I will definitely post updates on the lift. The fabricator guy I am working with now seems legit. He is done with the rear spacers and is powder coating now. He is waiting on some technical drawings from Hyundai to do the front spacers. Hopefully should be done this week or next.

Yeah the wheelbase is certainly very long but since the wheels are pushed very close to the bumpers indeed the approach and departure angles seem pretty good.

I'm not surprised your CX-5 FWD did well off-road. I had an old VW Jetta FWD that did not even have much ground clearance but did have some excellent traction. It had really meaty tires and would just plow through snow. Once in Connecticut I remember being in 8 inches of snow passing Jeeps stuck on the side of the road and we plowed ahead. I think that careful throttle management helped but a good set of tires is what really did it. Anywho, I'm sure that once the AWD IONIQ 5 is lifted just a couple more inches, and with meaty tires already installed it will be a beast in snow and light terrain. The IONIQ 5 may never be a rock crawler but it is already putting my FWD Audi to shame. You will absolutely love this car. I would not be able to sleep at night knowing that a brand new IONIQ 5 was on the way. With the heads up display and leather seating you are getting I am jealous!

PS I searched for chargers near Big Bend and it looks like the nearest fast charger is about 100 miles away in Fort Stockton. A round trip would cut things close! At least there are some 10Kw chargers near the park in case you wanted to camp the night or hike all day or something. It is going to be interesting to try to navigate rural areas with the EV. Perhaps my project for next year will be a documenting an overlanding trip with a solar charger array.

Ecoregion World Map Nature Slope

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is an awesome project! I'm really curious to see how the lift affects range and driving experience with the weight of the EV. Hoping mine will come in by the late summer or fall. I'm super disappointed that the Solterra/BZ4X has such terrible charging speed and the Ioniq just looks so awesome, so I'm glad someone else is making what Subaru should have made. I'll definitely be adding a roof rack for skis and a hitch for bikes, and I think 1.5-2" of lift shouldn't make too big of a difference in the range. I think your reasoning is spot on - so many people have off road rigs that are way overbuilt and vastly inefficient for 90+ percent of their driving. Just a couple weeks ago I watched a guy in a 2wd Model 3 crush some pretty technical terrain without much issue. Can't wait to see the finished product. Rock on!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
This is an awesome project! I'm really curious to see how the lift affects range and driving experience with the weight of the EV. Hoping mine will come in by the late summer or fall. I'm super disappointed that the Solterra/BZ4X has such terrible charging speed and the Ioniq just looks so awesome, so I'm glad someone else is making what Subaru should have made. I'll definitely be adding a roof rack for skis and a hitch for bikes, and I think 1.5-2" of lift shouldn't make too big of a difference in the range. I think your reasoning is spot on - so many people have off road rigs that are way overbuilt and vastly inefficient for 90+ percent of their driving. Just a couple weeks ago I watched a guy in a 2wd Model 3 crush some pretty technical terrain without much issue. Can't wait to see the finished product. Rock on!
Thanks Dictator. Indeed in talking with some engineer folks we suspect that the 2" added ground clearance effect on range will be negligible, maybe a 1-2% loss at worst. By far the roof rack and tire at high speeds are the biggest factors but looking to be around a 10% range hit which is tolerable. Off course slowly crawling over terrain you wont be driving 75 mph so the loss of range will be even less noticeable. What I am realizing is that when I am traveling 75mph that means that I am on a major interstate highway which by definition means that there are fast chargers everywhere. When in rural areas I travel under 60mph and range is much more efficient at that speed. This is especially true with the giant tire on my roof. I can't wait to get the IONIQ 5 overlander lifted and back on the beach for more testing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Count me in on wanting to know about the lift kit!
We are replacing our subarus with the Ioniq and a 2" lift would be fantastic since we live on a bumpy dirt road.
Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks Dictator. Indeed in talking with some engineer folks we suspect that the 2" added ground clearance effect on range will be negligible, maybe a 1-2% loss at worst. By far the roof rack and tire at high speeds are the biggest factors but looking to be around a 10% range hit which is tolerable. Off course slowly crawling over terrain you wont be driving 75 mph so the loss of range will be even less noticeable. What I am realizing is that when I am traveling 75mph that means that I am on a major interstate highway which by definition means that there are fast chargers everywhere. When in rural areas I travel under 60mph and range is much more efficient at that speed. This is especially true with the giant tire on my roof. I can't wait to get the IONIQ 5 overlander lifted and back on the beach for more testing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
We are close. I have the front spacers in and they work great. Still tweaking the rears as I had to try a few different configurations. After testing several machined and 3D printed parts I am now waiting for the final piece. Everything should be all done in about 5 days at which time I can give a full report.

just a few teasers:

1. nailed the spacer height needed for the desired lift. The geometry seems to fit the car
2. Loss of handling and range with the lift is negligible (just drove 500 miles up the east coast to Martha’s Vineyard)
3. Range loss from roof rack is more noticeable than anything from the spacers or tires. The roof rack is a little noisy at full speed. At 70mph I estimate that the roof rack with tire accounts for about 30 mile range hit.

I put the tire in the trunk and removed the roof rack for the long trip up north just to see what it does. To be honest I really don’t mind the 10% loss in range with but the wind noise makes it harder to appreciate tunes on long trips. I may try the rear tire mount option to compare.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If those spacers work well, it will be nearly like having an electric Crosstrek!

We are close. I have the front spacers in and they work great. Still tweaking the rears as I had to try a few different configurations. After testing several machined and 3D printed parts I am now waiting for the final piece. Everything should be all done in about 5 days at which time I can give a full report.

just a few teasers:

1. nailed the spacer height needed for the desired lift. The geometry seems to fit the car
2. Loss of handling and range with the lift is negligible (just drove 500 miles up the east coast to Martha’s Vineyard)
3. Range loss from roof rack is more noticeable than anything from the spacers or tires. The roof rack is a little noisy at full speed. At 70mph I estimate that the roof rack with tire accounts for about 30 mile range hit.

I put the tire in the trunk and removed the roof rack for the long trip up north just to see what it does. To be honest I really don’t mind the 10% loss in range with but the wind noise makes it harder to appreciate tunes on long trips. I may try the rear tire mount option to compare.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I think that is a fair comment given the fact that the crosstrek is an AWD family hatchback with a ground clearance of 8.9". This overlanding IONIQ 5 project is measuring about 8.5" ground clearance.

You could also toss the upcoming Subaru Solterra in the mix although there are some differences. It is a full EV that comes stock with 8.3" ground clearance without modifications. However, the Solterra appears to have less range than the IONIQ 5 (even modified as as overlander) and it won't charge as fast. So there are pros and cons. At least this project shows that the IONIQ 5 is a potential strong contender in the EV overlanding rally race I see emerging!

I show a pic of the IONIQ 5 new upgraded ground clearance. More pics to follow in a few days..

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
How difficult is the actual installation of the riser kit?
I would say medium level of difficulty. There are no special tools needed, just a metric ratchet set with 19mm socket and two (2) jacks. The only tricky part is wiggling the suspension arm in the rear back into place to slide the bolts back in place. The first time I tried it took about an hour, then I figured out a little trick and it only took 15 minutes. I will submit a video in a few weeks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
The Eagle has landed. Lift is complete. Thanks all for following and your patience. I will post two pics and some basic info here but will create a more detailed video this week or next both on the overall project and the lift install.

I tried several variations for the rear lift. To be honest, I wanted to use a local fabrication shop but just could not get anyone to sign on for a decent price. I also initially wanted to avoid using the Spaccer company out of Germany because they are a little expensive and did not have the parts ready anyway at the time. Also, the Spaccer company uses a proprietary stacking set of rings. While this is a clever solution, I would have needed at least four of these on each side in the front and I was hesitant to stack so many, not to mention the cost. Unfortunately, the alternative I tried in the rear did not work. The lift cups were not quite fitting right on the top of the rear spring and it ended up making a knocking sound.

Long story short, the solution I came to was to use a custom designed lift spacer for the front and two rings from Spaccer.com on the bottom of the springs in the rear. This solution works great! Car rides well and has a nice clearance now. Alternatively, you could go ahead and order four sets of rings for the front directly from Spaccers.com but this would be a significantly more expensive solution. I also like how the custom front spacer I went with bolts on very securely. So this is what I got;

FRONT: one (1) set of 2" custom lift spacers from universalcarlifts.com

REAR: two (2) Spaccer sets (0.94") and one (1) rubber Spaccer (0.12"), Total = 1.06" from Spaccers.com

Note that the geometry of the IONIQ 5 suspension means that the front lift is roughly 1:1 and that the rear is roughly 2:1 meaning the above spacer parts will lift BOTH the front and rear of the car about 2.25". The front spacers from universal car lift team out of Minnesota bolts directly to the upper strut mount and chassis and the rear spacer rings from Spaccer.com out of Germany simply slides into place between the lower rubber isolator cushion and the rear spring. Instruction video to follow.

See below pics. I include a pic of the car clearing a concrete parking block. I hate those things. Over the years I have ripped the front bumper off a Volvo, a VW Jetta, and twice off my Audi A3. Concrete parking blocks may now go suck it. I suppose I could just learn to drive better but we may now officially look those concrete parking blocks in the eye and flip the bird.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

FYI for those who are very range conscious here is a brief chart of the differences. More detail to follow in the YouTube videos but here are some averages. Note that my stock AWD IONIQ 5 got less than what Hyundai claims is possible under ideal conditions. This is as expected because I have a lead foot, blast the AC and stereo and quite frankly otherwise drive like a normal human. I did have the car set to Eco mode.

Range CityRange Highway (70 mph)
Hyundai Claimed285 (3.7 mi/kWh)226 (2.9 mi/kWh)
Stock Tested279 (3.6 mi/kWh)217 (2.8 mi/kWh)
Lifted + Offroad Tires + Tow Hitch271 (3.5 mi/kWh)202 (2.6 mi/kWh)
Lifted + Offroad Tires + Tow Hitch
+ Roof basket
263 (3.4 mi/kWh)186 (2.4 mi/kWh)

More to follow..

·
Registered
'22 Ioniq 5 Ultimate AWD - Atlas White
23 Posts
The Eagle has landed. Lift is complete. Thanks all for following and your patience. I will post two pics and some basic info here but will create a more detailed video this week or next both on the overall project and the lift install.
[snip]

More to follow..
Thank you and well done for taking on all the heavy lifting (sorry) on this! One question, though: what was the cost of front and back spacers, please?

·
Registered
46 Posts

I tried several variations for the rear lift. To be honest, I wanted to use a local fabrication shop but just could not get anyone to sign on for a decent price. I also initially wanted to avoid using the Spaccer company out of Germany because they are a little expensive and did not have the parts ready anyway at the time. Also, the Spaccer company uses a proprietary stacking set of rings. While this is a clever solution, I would have needed at least four of these on each side in the front and I was hesitant to stack so many, not to mention the cost. Unfortunately, the alternative I tried in the rear did not work. The lift cups were not quite fitting right on the top of the rear spring and it ended up making a knocking sound.

Long story short, the solution I came to was to use a custom designed lift spacer for the front and two rings from Spaccer.com on the bottom of the springs in the rear. This solution works great! Car rides well and has a nice clearance now. Alternatively, you could go ahead and order four sets of rings for the front directly from Spaccers.com but this would be a significantly more expensive solution. I also like how the custom front spacer I went with bolts on very securely. So this is what I got;

FRONT: one (1) set of 2" custom lift spacers from universalcarlifts.com

REAR: two (2) Spaccer sets (0.94") and one (1) rubber Spaccer (0.12"), Total = 1.06" from Spaccers.com

Note that the geometry of the IONIQ 5 suspension means that the front lift is roughly 1:1 and that the rear is roughly 2:1 meaning the above spacer parts will lift BOTH the front and rear of the car about 2.25". The front spacers from universal car lift team out of Minnesota bolts directly to the upper strut mount and chassis and the rear spacer rings from Spaccer.com out of Germany simply slides into place between the lower rubber isolator cushion and the rear spring. Instruction video to follow.

See below pics. I include a pic of the car clearing a concrete parking block. I hate those things. Over the years I have ripped the front bumper off a Volvo, a VW Jetta, and twice off my Audi A3. Concrete parking blocks may now go suck it. I suppose I could just learn to drive better but we may now officially look those concrete parking blocks in the eye and flip the bird.

View attachment 43917

View attachment 43918

FYI for those who are very range conscious here is a brief chart of the differences. More detail to follow in the YouTube videos but here are some averages. Note that my stock AWD IONIQ 5 got less than what Hyundai claims is possible under ideal conditions. This is as expected because I have a lead foot, blast the AC and stereo and quite frankly otherwise drive like a normal human. I did have car set to Eco mode.

Range CityRange Highway (70 mph)
Hyundai Claimed285 (3.7 mi/kWh)226 (2.9 mi/kWh)
Stock Tested279 (3.6 mi/kWh)217 (2.8 mi/kWh)
Lifted + Offroad Tires + Tow Hitch271 (3.5 mi/kWh)209 (2.7 mi/kWh)
Lifted + Offroad Tires + Tow Hitch
+ Roof basket
263 (3.4 mi/kWh)194 (2.5 mi/kWh)

More to follow..

That's fantastic! Can't wait to see your video and pics. Thanks for being the Guinea pig on this!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thank you and well done for taking on all the heavy lifting (sorry) on this! One question, though: what was the cost of front and back spacers, please?
No worries. Here are the prices.
Universalcarlift 2" front spacers = $200 USD plus shipping and tax
Spaccer.com 1.1" for two rear spacers and one rubber ring = $420 USD plus shipping and tax

All in its about $750 USD as tested which is not horrible especially if you can install yourself. You can see why I tried to avoid Spaccer.com for the front. That would have cost about $1200 USD in total. I just could not get the universal car lift rear spacer cups to work right. We tried a couple iterations and I even 3D printed a Nylon 12 carbon reinforced rear spacer of my own design (pic included below). I was getting close to a solution but just gave up and went with Spaccer.com for the rears which work great.

There is about 2-3hrs labor cost to also consider unless you want to do it yourself like I did. Install was not totally simple the first time I did it but manageable for most people who have moderate skills. I will send videos in a week or two.

Failed (but almost worked) Design for Rear Cups
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
46 Posts
No worries. Here are the prices.
Universalcarlift 2" front spacers = $200 USD plus shipping and tax
Spaccer.com 1.1" for two rear spacers and one rubber ring = $420 USD plus shipping and tax

All in its about $750 USD as tested which is not horrible especially if you can install yourself. You can see why I tried to avoid Spaccer.com for the front. That would have cost about $1200 USD in total. I just could not get the universal car lift rear spacer cups to work right. We tried a couple iterations and I even 3D printed a Nylon 12 carbon reinforced rear spacer of my own design (pic included below). I was getting close to a solution but just gave up and went with Spaccer.com for the rears which work great.

There is about 2-3hrs labor cost to also consider unless you want to do it yourself like I did. Install was not totally simple the first time I did it but manageable for most people who have moderate skills. I will send videos in a week or two.

Failed (but almost worked) Design for Rear Cups
View attachment 43979
I wish you lived nearby so I could take you out to dinner for this!
Did I read your chart correctly that there was only a couple miles difference in range after you put this on?
Looking forward to your videos and instructions!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
I wish you lived nearby so I could take you out to dinner for this!
Did I read your chart correctly that there was only a couple miles difference in range after you put this on?
Looking forward to your videos and instructions!
Thanks rpeesel. The next time I am in Vancouver or Montreal or wherever you hail from I will take you up on the free dinner offer!
Yes you read the chart correctly but I would not say that its just a couple miles difference in range overall. Indeed, the lift itself is probably negligible as expected but the bigger tires, added weight of the spare and tow hitch, and certainly the roof rack you are looking at 30-35 mile loss in range in total. This is an average I would say based on my own personal driving habits and with Eco mode selected (Eco=2WD).
On the one hand you can argue that 30 mile range loss is not a big deal especially since a 200 mile highway range still probably beats the Subaru EV. On the other hand when you consider that its best to maybe keep the car between 10-90% charge really you are talking about a working range of only about 160 highway miles. In that case an extra 20-30 miles might be important for some people.
In summary, the lift itself is hardly noticeable and the tires don't amount to that much more either. I suppose the roof rack is to blame for about 15 mile range loss on its own. But by far and away the single biggest factor determining range is driving style. If you carefully accelerate and crawl around at 45mph in Eco mode you might get 300 mile range. On the other hand driving 75 mph, in AWD mode, darting in and out of traffic, applying the brakes heavily with a giant tire on the roof, a 100lb tow bar, two kids in the back packed with suitcases, and with pouring rain in the cold weather, you might be lucky to get 140 miles. I did that a few weeks ago but still made it to my destination with only one extra stop for a quick charge. The IONIQ 5 fast charges in 18 minutes. Just enough time to grab a coffee basically. So there is that...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks rpeesel. The next time I am in Vancouver or Montreal or wherever you hail from I will take you up on the free dinner offer!
Yes you read the chart correctly but I would not say that its just a couple miles difference in range overall. Indeed, the lift itself is probably negligible as expected but the bigger tires, added weight of the spare and tow hitch, and certainly the roof rack you are looking at 30-35 mile loss in range in total. This is an average I would say based on my own personal driving habits and with Eco mode selected (Eco=2WD).
On the one hand you can argue that 30 mile range loss is not a big deal especially since a 200 mile highway range still probably beats the Subaru EV. On the other hand when you consider that its best to maybe keep the car between 10-90% charge really you are talking about a working range of only about 160 highway miles. In that case an extra 20-30 miles might be important for some people.
In summary, the lift itself is hardly noticeable and the tires don't amount to that much more either. I suppose the roof rack is to blame for about 15 mile range loss on its own. But by far and away the single biggest factor determining range is driving style. If you carefully accelerate and crawl around at 45mph in Eco mode you might get 300 mile range. On the other hand driving 75 mph, in AWD mode, darting in and out of traffic, applying the brakes heavily with a giant tire on the roof, a 100lb tow bar, two kids in the back packed with suitcases, and with pouring rain in the cold weather, you might be lucky to get 140 miles. I did that a few weeks ago but still made it to my destination with only one extra stop for a quick charge. The IONIQ 5 fast charges in 18 minutes. Just enough time to grab a coffee basically. So there is that...
Denver, Colorado, not Canada.
As to driving style, we used to own one of the first Honda Civid Hybrids and I was regularly driving in a manner that got me 50 mpg. I am really looking forward to seeing what I can do in the Ioniq! I am sure it will annoy my wife, but I see it as a challenge.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Denver, Colorado, not Canada.
As to driving style, we used to own one of the first Honda Civid Hybrids and I was regularly driving in a manner that got me 50 mpg. I am really looking forward to seeing what I can do in the Ioniq! I am sure it will annoy my wife, but I see it as a challenge.
Haha. Modifying your I5 will be a ton of fun I can promise. As for annoying ones wife I can say that is not in fact much of a challenge. It can easily be done!

41 - 60 of 77 Posts