Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
RIP your range with all that lol
ASilverFlash you are correct but who cares ions are cheap haha. But seriously range is not a major concern for me unless it’s abysmal. If the IONIQ offered a 50kW battery I would have chosen that trim level to save another $3k. Nonetheless, this will be an interesting experiment. The A/T tires I’m thinking are minimally taller and actually 10mm thinner than the SEL version. The tread of course is the main drawback for range but with the rims I selected the wheels will be lighter than stock overall. The aerodynamic roof rack will be minimal but it would be the full spare tire that on top that will be the killer. Also the roof rack, spare tire, toe hitch altogether will add more weight of course. All in all I would take a wild guess and say that my range would decrease from 250mi to about 200mi but this is just a guess. If it’s really horrible I could plan to connect the spare to a tow hitch wheel rack adapter in the back or even throw the spare in the trunk for long trips. That would fix the aerodynamics at least. Anyway once I get the car set up I will report the range. But take it with a grain of salt because I tend to have a lead foot as well haha. With the added weight of my fat arse plus my son who is growing exponentially things will get interesting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats on getting the car and I'm psyched to see how this turns out, nay-sayers aside :)

I'd love to know just what the mods that give you more clearance do to your range, before the other mods (I guess primarily just the roof rack that is). Just the spacers and tires.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Please keep us updated!

Two notes:
1. You may see a 30+% reduction, depending on the aerodynamics of a rack/tire, the tires, the lift, and whatever else you do. Model 3 Roof Rack Options - Comparing Efficiencies. This of course would be for highway cruising. If you are crawling at 5mph then aerodynamics don't matter much!
2. The Limited and the SEL trim comes with leather(ette) seats

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD 20" - Atlas White
30 Posts
Knock the spare off the roof and put it on the back with something like this Tilting Spare Wheel Carrier – Mirack Products - Should help a bit more with drag.

I got one on a truck from Western Australia that I am waiting for eagerly. Shouldn't be an issue and then it's a full sized spare carrier around easily enough. Plus the Mirack setup gives you a 1.5T receiver still too. I'd be shocked if there is no one engineering something similar in the US.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Knock the spare off the roof and put it on the back with something like this Tilting Spare Wheel Carrier – Mirack Products - Should help a bit more with drag.

I got one on a truck from Western Australia that I am waiting for eagerly. Shouldn't be an issue and then it's a full sized spare carrier around easily enough. Plus the Mirack setup gives you a 1.5T receiver still too. I'd be shocked if there is no one engineering something similar in the US.
Thanks Cycloptivity. What you describe does indeed exist here and I considered it. I like the look of the wheel on top and also somewhat lazy to have to swing the wheel out of the way every time I open the hatch. I will install a hitch so there are definitely options here for a wheel mount in the back. Efficiency is not an issue for me because I only drive about 10-15 miles a day typically. Long trips on the highway are rare. I will test the energy consumption and report with both wheel on top and wheel in the hatch.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
OK so here is a image of the final rendering with the proposed mods. The wheels and tires and roof rack are overlayed on a picture of my actual car. This should give us a good idea of what it will look like. I include an updated list of all the parts I ordered including 1bout 1.75" lift kit spacers. The stock tires are 235/55R19 and the stock height is 6.1" ground clearance. The new tires which have a much more aggressive tread are 245/60R18 which are 0.4" greater diameter. Thus the new total ground clearance should be about 8". I also ended up selecting matte bronze wheels from Touren. Bronze is a little risky of a style choice but I think it looks good and is a nice departure from the more common black. I think it will look nice but of course that is subjective. I don't know what the exact weight of the stock tires and rims are but I suspect the new combo will be about 2-3lbs less per wheel. I will weigh them eventually to compare when everything arrives in a couple weeks.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

IONIQ 5 Overlander Project - Updated Parts List
Tires: Falken Wildpeak 245/60R18, 9.8" width, 35lbs (5):
Rims: Touren TF03 Matte Bronze 18x8”, 5x114, +40, 28lb: 3503-8865MBZ40
Lift Kit: TBA
Tow Hitch: Hyundai Ioniq 5 trailer hitch (stainless steel 2” receiver) by EcoHitch: x74IONs
Roof Rack Rails: Thule Top Track Roof Mount (42”) (2 Pack): TP42
Roof Rack Bar: Thule WingBar Evo 108 cm black (2 pack): 711120
Roof Rack Kit: Thule Roof Rack System Fit Kits (4 pack): KIT 3101
Roof Rack Feet: Thule Podium Foot Pack (4 pack): 460R
Roof Rack Basket: Thule Canyon XT Roof Basket black (1): 859XT
Trunk Liner: Hyundai Trunk Liner: GI122ADE00E
Trunk Liner: Hyundai Trunk liner extension: GI128ADE00E
Floor Mats: Hyundai Rubber Floor Mats Without Sliding Center Console: GI131ADE00

Stay tuned my IONIQ 5 brethren!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I was going to say the exact same thing. Why buy the EV crossover with the worst clearance and lift it when you can wait just a little longer and get one with far better clearance for likely a similar price? It also could even be worth waiting for something with a larger battery so that you can actually get to your off-road trails and back without issue. I see that you say that you don't travel long distances, but if it gets really cold where you are in in winter, with all these mods you could be looking at a 100 mile range.

If you do go for an I5, this 2" receiver is probably the better choice:
Thanks Tyler. While I do plan on traveling on light camping trips a few times a year on the east coast, I don't foresee there being a big problem. For me to get into trouble I would need to be going at enough speed for the aerodynamics to be an issue and then go deep into the mountains on a cold night to set up camp at a location that is more than 75 miles from a standard power 120v power outlet. I just don't see that happening here in Maryland where I think we have like one single mountain that is around 3500 feet and it is 15 miles away from a 7-11 gas station. Most of the time I am just scooting around the city or the semi rural suburbs. If I plan to do excursions deep in the remote rocky mountains of Wyoming, then the IONIQ 5 is just not the vehicle. Maybe the Rivian would be better. But for my purposes a 200 mile range or even 150 miles is more than enough. Plus I really like the look and price of the IONIQ 5. Its a decent value as well.

As an aside fun mental experiment, I calculated what it would take to charge the IONIQ 5 with a portable solar power station. There is probably a different thread for this but in brief; a 2000W max solar power station running at a realistic 1000W output for four days while camping would probably get you around 50 miles of additional range. These kits cost about $2-3k USD. Technically one could travel around the continent camping a week at a time and then moving another 100 miles to the next site and so on. Interesting to imagine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
folks. Already put new the wheels and A/T tires, roof rack and spare atop. Waiting on the tow hitch. It’s looking great and driving great so far. Last step to compete the look is a 1.75” lift. I tried to get kit from the German company Spaccers but had some issues communicating and they are not available yet and also unnecessarily expensive. There is a company in Minnesota who seem really cool called Universal Car Lifts. I spoke to Russ et al there and they are willing to start making custom lift kits for the IONIQ 5 at a reasonable price. Only thing is that they need to take measurements of the front upper strut mount and the rear spring. The parts are not available from Hyundai. I have no desire to drive from Maryland to Minnesota to present my vehicle for measurements. Anyone live relatively close to Minnesota care to swing by for some measurements??

Universal Car Lifts
30593 Pearl Dr Ste 2
St Joseph, MN 56374

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
242 Posts
Thanks Tyler. While I do plan on traveling on light camping trips a few times a year on the east coast, I don't foresee there being a big problem. For me to get into trouble I would need to be going at enough speed for the aerodynamics to be an issue and then go deep into the mountains on a cold night to set up camp at a location that is more than 75 miles from a standard power 120v power outlet. I just don't see that happening here in Maryland where I think we have like one single mountain that is around 3500 feet and it is 15 miles away from a 7-11 gas station. Most of the time I am just scooting around the city or the semi rural suburbs. If I plan to do excursions deep in the remote rocky mountains of Wyoming, then the IONIQ 5 is just not the vehicle. Maybe the Rivian would be better. But for my purposes a 200 mile range or even 150 miles is more than enough. Plus I really like the look and price of the IONIQ 5. Its a decent value as well.
I don't mean to knock your project, but I feel like I have to ask: why you need an off-road setup for urban or semi-rural suburban Maryland?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I don't mean to knock your project, but I feel like I have to ask: why you need an off-road setup for urban or semi-rural suburban Maryland?
Tyler. You pose a philosophical but nonetheless relevant question. However, without getting into a need vs want discussion, I will admit that the overlander transformation is not in fact essential. But it is turning out to be hella fun.

I wanted not quite an off-road vehicle but slightly more capable than stock configuration. The kids and I do some light camping now and then and we traverse sand and gravel. In town potholes are now no match for the extra cushion in the tires. The hit on range associated with the roof rack, knobby tires, and spare is barely noticeable around town and tolerable on the highway. I will report more detailed information once enough data is collected but preliminary findings are as follows. During a pure highway excursion loaded with 400lbs of gear and traveling 70 mph for 2 hours, the range was reduced from about 220 stock to about 190 miles with the mods. Around town, range with mods is closer to stock at about 218 miles with the current configuration (the best range I ever got was about 226 miles around town on the stock configuration). More precise data will follow as these are just preliminary estimates after a couple weeks of driving.

The overlanding transformation is turning out to be well worth the modest range reduction in comparison to the added fun factor. If you subtract the amount of cash recouped by selling the stock tires and wheels on ebay, the total cost all in will be less than $4k. Since I saved $6k by choosing a lower trim IONIQ 5 model, we still came out ahead. In the end, the answer to why make the off-road mods in the first place might be.. why not?

So far my only complaint is the added noise of the roof rack which really only comes into play after about 60 mph. There is a 2-3 db increase in noise with the roof rack installed (the tire actually buffers the sound somewhat). Alternatives include adding a second wind fairing or moving the tire to a rear hitch mount as previously discussed. I do like the look of the roof rack/tire on top; however, so I may stick with that for a little while.

I enclose a pic below captured during our first camping trip some 150 miles away. We stopped for a top off charge (for about an hour for lunch) and same thing on the way back. The overlander IONIQ 5 proved to be quite capable in the sand dunes with the beefy tires, although I did not push it too much especially since the vehicle still needs a bit more ground clearance. Not exactly an offroad beast but very respectable so far. I will post overlanding videos on youtube when the project is done in a few weeks. So far loving it!

Wheel Tire Sky Automotive carrying rack Vehicle

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD 77.4kW
146 Posts
Love your project!
Our 18in winters were amazing at soaking up the giant potholes that appear after every winter around here (Toronto). Now that we're back on stock 19s I'm thinking of replacing these with 18s as well. Since this car definitely isn't sporty sprung, might as well make it comfy and capable.
Did you get to drive with just the roof rails on? Am thinking of throwing up a couple, too, and was wondering how noisy they are by themselves.

·
Registered
AWD SE Grey
53 Posts
We’ll this is just super cool. Love to see the customized adventure! I also do a lot of backcountry camping (backpacking, river sports, surfing and xcountry ski)… so would love to have more clearance. I went from a Tacoma to an I5…. So there’s that. Thanks for posting all your adventure and hope you can get the lift kit ordered!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Love your project!
Our 18in winters were amazing at soaking up the giant potholes that appear after every winter around here (Toronto). Now that we're back on stock 19s I'm thinking of replacing these with 18s as well. Since this car definitely isn't sporty sprung, might as well make it comfy and capable.
Did you get to drive with just the roof rails on? Am thinking of throwing up a couple, too, and was wondering how noisy they are by themselves.
Nuclear. Thanks. Well as it turned out I had the roof wing bars on backwards!! If you look closely at the pic you can see them facing the wrong way 😂😂😂. Anyway flipping them around helped reduce the noise by 2 db with the rack on top as well. I did not test them without the rack but I guarentee it would be even quieter. With the rack on there is still some wind noise but its tolerable now. I'm thinking about taking one more step and getting the extra fairing from Thule. If it does not make a difference then I have the option of taking it back. Apparently there are tons of debates about mounting spares on the roof versus rear hitch swing arm. I think both options have merit but I tend to slightly favor the roof option mostly because I am lazy to unhook and swing the rear mount every time I need access to the trunk and also you would lose the rear camera. The spare weighs 60lbs and I have had to take it down and put it back up a half dozen times. Its not too bad though. My estimate is that the roof rack, tires and spare together take away about 27 mile range during highway driving (232 avg stock vs 205 avg current). But it's actually close enough to stock that other factors come into play as well like tire pressure, eco mode, AC/heater, cargo and of course speed. Around town the loss of range is negligible for me. Pure highway driving at 70mph there is about 10-15% loss in range. So far apart from a bit of added noise the roof rack seems like it was a reasonable choice. Hopefully the extra fairing will make it even better.

*** update. I switched the roof rackclamp system to a naked rook bolt on rail system for more of a factory look. Looks even better but you have to have the nerve to put holes in your roof!! See pic below.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
We’ll this is just super cool. Love to see the customized adventure! I also do a lot of backcountry camping (backpacking, river sports, surfing and xcountry ski)… so would love to have more clearance. I went from a Tacoma to an I5…. So there’s that. Thanks for posting all your adventure and hope you can get the lift kit ordered!
Thanks zooom. Well the lift kit is turning out to be some work. Since nobody has done this yet on an IONIQ 5 and since the spring and strut mount parts are not even available yet we are going to resort to plan C. We are basically going to have to take the parts off my car and measure everything with calipers to create accurate schematics. Once we have the data, then there are several fabricators in the area that can create custom lift spacers. The spacers themselves are not actually that complicated but do need accurate dimensions. Will keep you posted. The car is great but now really screams for a little bit more lift. Just 1.5- 2" lift would be plenty I think for this rig.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Hey folks. I found an excellent local fabrication team that will do the lift kit work. They raised up my IONIQ 5 and measured all the angles and believe that a 1-2 inch lift should be very doable with a set of spacers. The plan is to make upper strut mount spacers in the front to put on the top and in the back a simple spacer to go under the spring. Once the initial engineering and design work is completed they can offer the spacers for retail for about $500 for a full set. Anybody else interested?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hey folks. I found an excellent local fabrication team that will do the lift kit work by the name of Wits End Fabrication (1907 Lansdowne Rd, Halethorpe, MD 21227). They raised up my IONIQ 5 and measured all the angles and believe that a 1-2 inch lift should be very doable with a set of spacers. The plan is to make upper strut mount spacers in the front to put on the top and in the back a simple spacer to go under the spring. Once the initial engineering and design work is completed they can offer the spacers for retail for about $500 for a full set. However, it will cost about $2,000 to do the initial development work. Are there enough folks out there who would commit to buying the spacers to help defray the cost of development. Either I need to pay the entire $2,000 myself or if we can get 5-10 people to commit to buying spacers then the company would eat the development costs. Anybody interested?
I'm not sure there any takers yet on the lift kit but I may have finally found a local fabrication and design garage that will engineer the kit for free. They will likely charge about $400 for the kits and expect to charge about $400 labor. Hoping this week. so far so good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I ended of swapping out the Thule roof rack brackets and went with their bolt on bare roof rail system instead. It looks way cleaner and more "stock". They work great and are well sealed with special rubber grommets and silicone. Nonetheless, it was pretty scary drilling 12 holes into the roof of my brand new car! 😬 In retrospect it was pretty easy but definitely scary!!!
Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting Vehicle door

Liquid Drinking water Bottled water Hood Water bottle

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI, I like your idea although I have some doubts about the practicality of overlanding in an EV with 250mi range.
I just wanted to try and steer you away from the roof rack and spare tire on roof. I carried a 31” spare on the roof my my ‘87 Chevy Astro. I had lifted the Astro 6” and installed 31” swamper SSR radials. It was a great overlander, but the spare on the roof absolutely destroyed fuel economy. Less than 10mpg, and I could literally hear and feel the drag on the highway.

I would store the FS spare in the boot or on a hitch, as an absolute requirement. Cheers, I look forward to following your progress, however you decide!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
HI, I like your idea although I have some doubts about the practicality of overlanding in an EV with 250mi range.
I just wanted to try and steer you away from the roof rack and spare tire on roof. I carried a 31” spare on the roof my my ‘87 Chevy Astro. I had lifted the Astro 6” and installed 31” swamper SSR radials. It was a great overlander, but the spare on the roof absolutely destroyed fuel economy. Less than 10mpg, and I could literally hear and feel the drag on the highway.

I would store the FS spare in the boot or on a hitch, as an absolute requirement. Cheers, I look forward to following your progress, however you decide!
Thanks Vegas. Cycloptivity said something similar above. Preliminarily, the roof rack and tire do not seem to be a killer for range but definitely noticeable. After a couple trips on the highway traveling over 70 mph the estimated range seems to have dropped from about 230 miles to about 190 miles with roof rack, knobby tires and spare (most of the range reduction clearly from the roof rack basket and tire mount). I think that overall, the modest loss of range is due in part because of the aerodynamic roof rack system and the additional fairing I installed. Around town the loss of range with the roof rack installed is negligible. However, since I already have the tow bar ordered, I may indeed consider a rear hatch mount at some point. For now though the difference in range does not affect my habits. I posted earlier that the only slight annoyance from the roof rack is the added noise from turbulence. However, with the additional fairing installed, the noise is really only noticeable above 70mph.

Once I have the lift kit and tow bar installed I will report more precise range estimates at different speeds and configurations. Either way, there is just no way this EV is going to be practical for long excursions with only remote access. Rural Montana or the Sahara desert just are not an option for me whether I get 250 or 200 mile range. Even the Rivian at best comes in just under 300 miles so its really an EV thing for a while. The IONIQ 5 is blessed with a stock range that is substantial so even with a roof rack installed it still outperforms the Audi etron it would appear. I can make a trip from Baltimore to New York without stopping to charge. But why do that. I have to stop to hit the head at least once anyway right? For me, the range estimates are mostly academic since I drive only about 20 miles a day. Camping trips and light overlanding destinations are generally less than 150 miles away and there are plenty of free charge points along the way. This is a fun project indeed. A full update and review coming soon. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Tow hitch from Ecohitch installed today. Went very smoothly. No need to take rear bumper off. Things are progressing nicely do far. The IONIQ 5 is really accepting an off road transformation seamlessly.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

21 - 40 of 77 Posts