Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi y'all. Been looking to buy my first EV and really want an AWD crossover to do some light travel, camping and overlanding. I like the Tesla model Y but apart from a slightly longer range (300mi vs 250mi) and slightly higher towing capacity (3000lbs vs 2000lbs) the IONIQ 5 is a much better deal. In fact, with the US tax rebate of $7500, which the Tesla no longer qualifies for, the IONIQ 5 is about $17,000 less expensive than the Tesla. However, I have seen others convert the Tesla to a more capable crossover but not yet seen this done with the IONIQ 5. I would like to expand the stock configuration, add a lift kit and tires with more traction to allow the EV to be a little more capable, not a 4x4 by any stretch, just slightly better with more clearance for gravel, light sand and uneven terrain. I want a full size spare for sure and some beefier A/T tires which I like the look of. The plan is to put the spare tire on a roof basket. I don't travel long distances so I'm not worried about loss of range too much, although if it is very poor we could always put the spare on a tow hitch bracket or even in the trunk at times. With the slightly larger tires and lift spacers, I anticipate the ground clearance of the IONIQ 5 will increase from 6 inches to about 8 inches which is a little more respectable. Anyway, I enclose a quick rendering of what it might look like completed. Try not to laugh as I have minimal photoshop skills! But you get the point. I also enclose a list of parts I thought that might work.

Please let me know if you have any experience with any of this. Has anyone tried larger tires let alone a lift kit? Thanks for any suggestions.

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Car

Proposed IONIQ 5 Off road Parts
*** Update. See updated parts list below.

Thanks again - JT

UPDATE. Here is the completed VIDEO LINK

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD 20" - Lucid Blue
312 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
  1. You're rendering is fine. The car looks pretty cool. Although the tires shown don't look like 265/65's.
  2. I think Hi5'ers have had mixed results, or maybe only poor results, with 17" wheels fitting over the brakes and the lower ball joint. You can search the forum.
  3. Your chosen tires are 30mm bigger in diameter than stock, and wider. Wheel arch clearance may be an issue. I guess the +4% diameter will go unnoticed by the ECU, but I'm not sure.
  4. The Hi5 suspension is arguably a bit soft for the road. I suspect even mild off-roading will be met with almost constant bottoming out.
Sounds like a fun project...

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
242 Posts
Or wait for the Subaru Solterra which will come with 8.3" of ground clearance and X-mode for low speed maneuvering on rough roads. It appears to be basically designed for what you want to do.
I was going to say the exact same thing. Why buy the EV crossover with the worst clearance and lift it when you can wait just a little longer and get one with far better clearance for likely a similar price? It also could even be worth waiting for something with a larger battery so that you can actually get to your off-road trails and back without issue. I see that you say that you don't travel long distances, but if it gets really cold where you are in in winter, with all these mods you could be looking at a 100 mile range.

If you do go for an I5, this 2" receiver is probably the better choice:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
  1. You're rendering is fine. The car looks pretty cool. Although the tires shown don't look like 265/65's.
  2. I think Hi5'ers have had mixed results, or maybe only poor results, with 17" wheels fitting over the brakes and the lower ball joint. You can search the forum.
  3. Your chosen tires are 30mm bigger in diameter than stock, and wider. Wheel arch clearance may be an issue. I guess the +4% diameter will go unnoticed by the ECU, but I'm not sure.
  4. The Hi5 suspension is arguably a bit soft for the road. I suspect even mild off-roading will be met with almost constant bottoming out.
Sounds like a fun project...
Thanks for the comment. Indeed I could also use 255/60/17 tires which are the same diameter as the stock tires although I thought that if I can squeeze an extra 1.5" diameter for the added .75" height. Maybe the same diameter tires and 1.5" spacer is good enough and we can call it a day. Although if I'm going to do this might well do this! Also no true "off-roading" planned, I would be happy just not to bottom out on potholes in the city and some light gravel. Right now I have the opposite situation, an audi A3 lowered to about 4 inches.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Or wait for the Subaru Solterra which will come with 8.3" of ground clearance and X-mode for low speed maneuvering on rough roads. It appears to be basically designed for what you want to do.
Thanks Nazanne and RSG. Yes indeed, a truck would work better and require less workarounds but would it be as crazy and novel to modify, perhaps no. I considered the VW ID4, can't get them and marked up pricing. Mustang Mach-e, can't tow and also quite low clearance and also not easily obtainable here. Audi Q4 etron, not crazy about the styling also not available yet and expensive. The Rivian, really awesome but $30,000 more. Ford F150 EV, not available yet and already on backorder plus I don't need an open bed. Kia EV6 looks great but less available around here and some bigger price mark ups. Solterra pretty close to what I am looking for but not available yet, not a huge fan of styling and also risk being labeled a soccer mom. But if the Solterra was available and priced right it would be a serious contender. Plus a 1.5 inch spacer gets me to the height of the Solterra and I think the IONIQ looks a bit more styish anyway.

So that leaves the Tesla Model Y. I will post a link below of someone who did a great job turning their model Y into a true crossover. It looks a lot of fun. A company Mountain Pass Performance provided the lift kit and an additional under carriage protective plate. Tesla has the best charging networks here, 1000lbs extra towing capacity and slightly more storage space. But there is a $15,000 difference in price including rebate that comes with the IONIQ 5. I test drove the Telsa yesterday and it drives beautifully and is a rocket ship in terms of acceleration almost to the point of being unnecessary IMO. I am supposed to test drive an IONIQ 5 this week.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
242 Posts
Thanks Nazanne and RSG. Yes indeed, a truck would work better and require less workarounds but would it be as crazy and novel to modify, perhaps no. I considered the VW ID4, can't get them and marked up pricing. Mustang Mach-e, can't tow and also quite low clearance and also not easily obtainable here. Audi Q4 etron, not crazy about the styling also not available yet and expensive. The Rivian, really awesome but $30,000 more. Ford F150 EV, not available yet and already on backorder plus I don't need an open bed. Kia EV6 looks great but less available around here and some bigger price mark ups. Solterra pretty close to what I am looking for but not available yet, not a huge fan of styling and also risk being labeled a soccer mom. But if the Solterra was available and priced right it would be a serious contender. Plus a 1.5 inch spacer gets me to the height of the Solterra and I think the IONIQ looks a bit more styish anyway.

So that leaves the Tesla Model Y. I will post a link below of someone who did a great job turning their model Y into a true crossover. It looks a lot of fun. A company Mountain Pass Performance provided the lift kit and an additional under carriage protective plate. Tesla has the best charging networks here, 1000lbs extra towing capacity and slightly more storage space. But there is a $15,000 difference in price including rebate that comes with the IONIQ 5. I test drove the Telsa yesterday and it drives beautifully and is a rocket ship in terms of acceleration almost to the point of being unnecessary IMO. I am supposed to test drive an IONIQ 5 this week.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I would encourage you to put down deposits on any and all contenders as long as they're refundable. With current supply chain craziness and varying approaches to reservations, you have no idea what will be delivered first. I put a reservation down on the I5 in the US in June and then it occurred to me that a backup reservation in Canada in October wouldn't hurt. Got my car on the Canada order in January, never heard **** about the US reservation before I canceled it in Feb.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would encourage you to put down deposits on any and all contenders as long as they're refundable. With current supply chain craziness and varying approaches to reservations, you have no idea what will be delivered first. I put a reservation down on the I5 in the US in June and then it occurred to me that a backup reservation in Canada in October wouldn't hurt. Got my car on the Canada order in January, never heard **** about the US reservation before I canceled it in Feb.
Indeed. I put a $250 deposit on the Tesla model Y yesterday but excited to give the IONIQ 5 test drive a serious go and would gladly cancel my reservation if all the boxes are ticked.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The frustration of them re-using the Ioniq name is that searching for accessories for our car you're more likely to get results for the original Ioniq. You want this one instead.

I wouldn't mind just a little more clearance so I'm interested to see how this turns out.
Thanks
I was going to say the exact same thing. Why buy the EV crossover with the worst clearance and lift it when you can wait just a little longer and get one with far better clearance for likely a similar price? It also could even be worth waiting for something with a larger battery so that you can actually get to your off-road trails and back without issue. I see that you say that you don't travel long distances, but if it gets really cold where you are in in winter, with all these mods you could be looking at a 100 mile range.

If you do go for an I5, this 2" receiver is probably the better choice:
Thanks Tyler. I will update the original list above.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The frustration of them re-using the Ioniq name is that searching for accessories for our car you're more likely to get results for the original Ioniq. You want this one instead.

I wouldn't mind just a little more clearance so I'm interested to see how this turns out.
Thanks Tim. Yes that's the one I was thinking. Should provide 1.89" additional clearance on top of .75" from the tires I suggested. The wheels should provide another 0.5 inch negative offset as well (+54mm stock vs +35mm black rhino rims) plus 0.4" wider tires.

*** UPDATE: I could not get the spacers from this group as they are not ready. Also quite expensive so looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hope you do this!! And then let us know how it went!! I also do a lot of driving on rocky roads, not 4WD required but I feel like the ioniq would be sweet if only it had more clearance. We replaced a subaru outback and our little around-town car with the Ioniq 5 AWD and love it for all the snowy drives up and down the ski hill and all of our other driving, but for getting into and out of our favorite trailheads right now we still use our ICE truck. Exact same thought process as you about the availability of EV cars and trucks etc made us buy the Ioniq 5 and we love it except for the clearance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope you do this!! And then let us know how it went!! I also do a lot of driving on rocky roads, not 4WD required but I feel like the ioniq would be sweet if only it had more clearance. We replaced a subaru outback and our little around-town car with the Ioniq 5 AWD and love it for all the snowy drives up and down the ski hill and all of our other driving, but for getting into and out of our favorite trailheads right now we still use our ICE truck. Exact same thought process as you about the availability of EV cars and trucks etc made us buy the Ioniq 5 and we love it except for the clearance.
Thanks Jordan. I am supposed to test drive the IONIQ 5 any day now. Still have not ridden in one yet! Assuming it ticks all the boxes and they can find an SE in grey then we are off to the races. FYI, I checked the pricing on the Spaccer lift parts and a 1.89" lift kit costs about $1000 plus likely another $500 to install. Ouch! For comparison the Model Y lift kit from MPP only costs about $500 but it is what it is. Maybe there will be another less expensive company that offers a similar kit soon.

MPP also sells an extra metal cover for the front of the under carriage to protect the battery as the existing Model Y just has a plastic cover. Do you think the IONIQ 5 needs the added protection as well or might that be an overkill just for family skiing trips and handling local speed humps?

·
Registered
20 Posts
MPP also sells an extra metal cover for the front of the under carriage to protect the battery as the existing Model Y just has a plastic cover. Do you think the IONIQ 5 needs the added protection as well or might that be an overkill just for family skiing trips and handling local speed humps?
I think this sounds great for rocky road driving but yeah I'd say overkill for skiing and normal speed humps. Our road has some gentle speed humps and so far no problems scraping bottom. Not sure about the really aggro speed bumps though!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took a test drive today and pulled the trigger! Very smooth, very sexy. It will be a fun project to do some light overlanding mods. Here was the rationale so that I don't get buyers remorse..

Tesla was exactly $10,000 more expensive (not including $7,500 potential rebate on the IONIQ). There are definitely tangible benefits to the Tesla model Y but I think overall the Hyundai is a better value and certainly more unique. The dealer did not have the trim level I initially wanted but I had an epiphany. The two features that I would miss out on that I actually care about for the SE versus Limited edition is the leather seats and premium sound system. The standard IONIQ 5 sound system is not too bad but not quite on par with the Bang and Olfsen system in my Audi which has a sub woofer. However, some very excellent companies now install custom high end leather seating in addition to many audio upgrade options. The leather seats created by these companies can often be higher grade then the leatherette that comes with the IONIQ Limited. Installation of professional leather seating and a subwoofer would cost about $3,000 which is less than half of the difference in price between the two IONIQ trim levels.

Anyone have any experience with custom leather seat installation? Here is one example;

Also here is a pic of my new ride. Excited to join the IONIQ club and will post pics of the overlanding upgrades as I do them. It will take a few weeks I'm sure.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here is an updated rendering with the SE color scheme I purchased today along with more realistic tires and wheels. Below is the current, slightly more conservative plan. With 1.75" spacers and slightly larger tires (0.2 added height) that would bring the total clearance up to 8" which is acceptable. The rims and tire setup below would also widen the stance by 3/4 inch. The Toyo tires might be too noisy so I'm thinking a slightly less aggressive tread. I know these are subtle changes but I am chickening out a little bit to go too crazy. haha

Lift Spacers: TBA
Rims: Black Rhino Barstow 18”x8”, 5x114.3, +30 (5)
Tires: BFGoodrich Trail-Terrain T/A 245/60/R18 (5)
Roof Basket: Thule Canyon XT black (1)
Roof Racks: Thule Wingbar Edge 104 and 113cm (1 of each)
Roof Clamps: Thule EVO Fit Kit metal clamps black (4 pack)
Tow Hitch: EcoHitch, 2” stainless steel receiver

** UPDATE. See most curent updated parts list below.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

1 - 20 of 77 Posts