Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took delivery of a RWD SEL a few days ago and although I was fairly familiar with the i5 cluster displays before my purchase, in practice, my wife and I greatly miss a more traditional cluster view which could be added as another choice to the current views and would display a large circular analog speedometer and large circular battery SOC display. Throw in odometer, trip, compass and outside temp indicators and that would make for a nice transition screen choice for those of us older drivers migrating from ICE vehicles or for anyone desiring a minimalist user interface. (I would probably use this cluster view 90% of the time.) One would think that this would be a simple software update and could add to the retro appeal of the i5.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Took delivery of a RWD SEL a few days ago and although I was fairly familiar with the i5 cluster displays before my purchase, in practice, my wife and I greatly miss a more traditional cluster option such as a large circular analog speedometer and large circular battery SOC display. Throw in odometer, trip, compass and outside temp indicators and that would make for a nice transition screen for those of us older drivers migrating from ICE vehicles or for anyone desiring a minimalist user interface. One would think that this would be a simple software update!
"We know what is best for you!" - Hyundai UI/UX team

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD
966 Posts
Took delivery of a RWD SEL a few days ago and although I was fairly familiar with the i5 cluster displays before my purchase, in practice, my wife and I greatly miss a more traditional cluster view which could be added as another choice to the current views and would display a large circular analog speedometer and large circular battery SOC display. Throw in odometer, trip, compass and outside temp indicators and that would make for a nice transition screen choice for those of us older drivers migrating from ICE vehicles or for anyone desiring a minimalist user interface. (I would probably use this cluster view 90% of the time.) One would think that this would be a simple software update and could add to the retro appeal of the i5.
I understand some people have difficulties with positioning of display (especially speedometer). While I don’t have any particular problem with the Hyundai mandated display, I agree it would be nice to be able to modify/personalise it to suit individual driving positions.

Although it may prove challenging to Hyundai service technicians who seem to have problems even with the static display.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's a simple fix, that can be changed easily via some programming code. There's literally no reason for Hyundai NOT to.
Since it's a JAFLOC*, may I suggest you design, implement and test this simple fix and send it to Hyundai. I mean how much work can it really be? It'd cost Hyundai literally nothing, so it's a really quick job. /s

* JAFLOC = Just A Few Lines Of Code. A term coined in the 1960s to justify product changes. Often used in conjunction with the words "no hardware changes required".

·
Registered
2022, Teal Limited AWD
175 Posts
Software does cost Design is not astronomical but testing and implementation is were the cost is. Yes a lot of cars have very configurable displays. I was just watching a video on the upcoming mustang. One of the dash configurations is a display replicating the 87-93 fox body (which I own)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Positioning speedo in the corner being blocked by steering wheel was quite stupid.
I can't believe no one noticed it during testing.
I guess for engineers it was more important to see a compass or tire pressure than actual speed while driving!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd kill to have my current cluster (Ioniq 38) in my future Ioniq 6 rather than the one that will come with it. The speed is hidden by the steering wheel and the space in the middle is under used.

·
Registered
2023 Ioniq 5 SEL AWD
1 Posts
Since it's a JAFLOC*, may I suggest you design, implement and test this simple fix and send it to Hyundai. I mean how much work can it really be? It'd cost Hyundai literally nothing, so it's a really quick job. /s

* JAFLOC = Just A Few Lines Of Code. A term coined in the 1960s to justify product changes. Often used in conjunction with the words "no hardware changes required".
We referred to the same thing as a SMOP - Small Matter of Programming.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We referred to the same thing as a SMOP - Small Matter of Programming.
Jokes aside, you know if Hyundai built an API to allow you to design the UI, people would design it for free. Of course making such an API would be a huge effort. If I were an executive I'd argue it would be like free marketing with people one upping each other with the cool stuff they were designing and putting on their cars.....

I also hate the Ioniq 5 / EV6 UI...but I'm also fairly certain there is zero chance they will "fix" it. You'll have to buy a new Ioniq 5 (2024?) with the Nvidia based infotainment system or whatever to get a new UI. Which may be even worse!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts