Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my license plates from my dealer in Illinois. They look like standard plates, not the “XXXX EL” plates you see on most EVs. Did anybody have this experience? Or did you all receive EL plates?

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,691 Posts
In Ontario we get plates with green ink on white that start with the letter G, but you have to ask for them. I paid a small surcharge for it, like maybe $70, although I think they're the same price as a regular plate today. Totally worth it as I get to use HOV lanes even when it's just me in the car. Maybe Illinois is similar but your dealer forgot to explain it and give you the option?

Reactions: zack95

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the Tesla forums, everyone around Chicago is getting the ELs then having to switch if the want regular plates. My suspicion is that the extra ~$200 EV license plate expense each year is tracked that way, so I'm guessing you got lucky and dodged that.

There are zero road benefits to driving an EV in Illinois. No carpool lanes, no reduced tolls, etc. You just get the pleasure of paying your portion of the fuel tax when you renew your plates each year vs. at the pump. Used to be $35 for two years then they jacked it up to $249/year because... they want to discourage EVs?

I just got my license plates from my dealer in Illinois. They look like standard plates, not the “XXXX EL” plates you see on most EVs. Did anybody have this experience? Or did you all receive EL plates?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts