Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
221 - 240 of 247 Posts

· Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Preferred (mid trim) Long Range RWD, winter tires
506 Posts
makes you wonder how companies are introducing new EV models when they can't even build the current ones.
Just for fun thought to check out the availability scene in the USA, particularly California with strong EV mandates. Went to the website of Folsom Hyundai near Sacramento California, 12 new Ioniq 5s on the website for sale! 3 on lot, 9 in transit to dealership. Stockton Hyundai, 2 on lot, one in transit. Elkgrove Hyundai, 0 on lot and a whopping 29 in transit (that likely more than all I5s sold between AB, SK and MB). Hyundai of St. Bruno, 0 on lot and 0 in transit. Glendale Hyundai, 4 on lot and 6 in transit. Frank Hyundai, 0 on lot, 39, yes 39, in transit. The Feds got a lot of flack for the recent EV sales mandate but without it, the manufacturers won't care about Canada. Also, the selling price in the US is relatively high to the Canadian price. In US, dealers can charge what they want but here need to stick with max the MSRP.

· Registered
29 Posts
Provincial rebates do help a lot, regardless of what Doug Ford says. There’s a reason more EVs go to BC and Quebec and uptake is proportionally higher. Too bad the rest of the provinces don’t follow suit.

· Registered
12 Posts
Provincial rebates do help a lot, regardless of what Doug Ford says. There’s a reason more EVs go to BC and Quebec and uptake is proportionally higher. Too bad the rest of the provinces don’t follow suit.
So do the rebates help Hyundai? Not sure about that. There is a long line waiting to buy here, so I don't think the rebate would improve allocation. Isn't there a ZEV mandate in QC and BC that require a certain portion of their sales to be ZEV? The sales requirement is what would drive distribution.

· Registered
29 Posts
I'm not 100% sure how it works in terms of allocation, particularly since the Ioniq5 started with a national priority list. However, some models (the Mazda and Toyota RAV4 Prime) were initially allocated to BC and Quebec with no availability elsewhere. Further, the data shows higher overall EV uptake in those two provinces, so it's doing something.

There have also been people on this forum and others who claim allocation may be prioritized where there are incentives. However, I agree with you... this should be irrelevant to hyundai and their dealers. I don't see why this would modify their behaviour.

· Registered
506 Posts
So do the rebates help Hyundai? Not sure about that. There is a long line waiting to buy here, so I don't think the rebate would improve allocation. Isn't there a ZEV mandate in QC and BC that require a certain portion of their sales to be ZEV? The sales requirement is what would drive distribution.
I was told a bit over a year ago by my dealer in Manitoba that there wasn’t provincial quotas. It was first to order. That was when there was a production queue for orders to enter.

· Registered
506 Posts
I'm not 100% sure how it works in terms of allocation, particularly since the Ioniq5 started with a national priority list. However, some models (the Mazda and Toyota RAV4 Prime) were initially allocated to BC and Quebec with no availability elsewhere. Further, the data shows higher overall EV uptake in those two provinces, so it's doing something.

There have also been people on this forum and others who claim allocation may be prioritized where there are incentives. However, I agree with you... this should be irrelevant to hyundai and their dealers. I don't see why this would modify their behaviour.
Some info on EV sales requirements and rebated in Canada.

For BC, ZEV (doesn't include hybrids) sales need to be 10% of light-duty vehicle sales by 2025, 30% by 2030 and 100% by 2040.

I am not sure if new requirements in Quebec have come into effect. They were proposed to start in 2022 and to be 12.5% of new car sales to be EV by 2025, 65% of new car sales to be EV by 2030 and 100% of new car sales to be EV by 2035. Not clear from web sources if EV means only ZEV Electric Vehicle or includes hybrids. ZEV likely as the previous requirements provided more "credits" to manufacturers for ZEV than hybrids.

Proposed Federal requirements are "20 percent of new vehicles sold in Canada will be zero emission by 2026, at least 60 percent by 2030, and 100 percent by 2035. These targets will help increase supply so that more Canadians who want a ZEV can buy one."

In order decreasing amount of provincial EV rebate is QC ($8,000), PEI=NB=Yukon ($5,000), BC ($3,000), and NFLD ($2,500). On top of $5,000 Federal rebate.

· Registered
31 Posts
Put a deposit (pre order) Feb/22. Told orders would open soon, then, early summer. Crickets...I would call every 2 months, no news. Just had sales manager call, to offer to give back deposit. Apparently, there will be no orders made until '25! Forget about Hyundai, the corporation has totally messed up...
I too also only been contacted to offer a refund. Wondering if the dealer were asked to do that. Which province are you in? I preordered March 2022.

· Registered
506 Posts
Put a deposit (pre order) Feb/22. Told orders would open soon, then, early summer. Crickets...I would call every 2 months, no news. Just had sales manager call, to offer to give back deposit. Apparently, there will be no orders made until '25! Forget about Hyundai, the corporation has totally messed up...
I don't blame Hyundai Canada. They need to run a business at optimum economic efficiency. Profit margin is much better for Hyundai dealers in the USA and there are some stiff EV sales requirements in many states. Its competition with US customers that Canadians are dealing with. In a post above I note there are many cars on lots and in transit to California. In many states you just have to walk onto a lot and there are Ioniq 5s to purchase. The equivalent of the Canadian Ultimate AWD in the US sells for 55K USD before taxes and destination while in Canada it is 63K CDN. According to exchange rate the car in Canada should sell for 74K CDN. What supply issues are doing is having regions compete against each other. Now we are losing that competition with the US. Reason why the Feds have jumped in to mandate EV sales across the country to increase EV availabilities.

· Registered
29 Posts
Thanks. I am in Ontario as well! Agincourt Hyundai in Markham.
Ontario aswell, Mountain Hyundai in Hamilton, deposit put down Mar.7th 22 , reached out a few times with either no news or more frequently no response, is a shame I really loved the test drive in this but I will be collecting my deposit and have already put one down on 23 Outlander phev

· Registered
84 Posts
Some info on EV sales requirements and rebated in Canada.

For BC, ZEV (doesn't include hybrids) sales need to be 10% of light-duty vehicle sales by 2025, 30% by 2030 and 100% by 2040.

I am not sure if new requirements in Quebec have come into effect. They were proposed to start in 2022 and to be 12.5% of new car sales to be EV by 2025, 65% of new car sales to be EV by 2030 and 100% of new car sales to be EV by 2035. Not clear from web sources if EV means only ZEV Electric Vehicle or includes hybrids. ZEV likely as the previous requirements provided more "credits" to manufacturers for ZEV than hybrids.

Proposed Federal requirements are "20 percent of new vehicles sold in Canada will be zero emission by 2026, at least 60 percent by 2030, and 100 percent by 2035. These targets will help increase supply so that more Canadians who want a ZEV can buy one."

In order decreasing amount of provincial EV rebate is QC ($8,000), PEI=NB=Yukon ($5,000), BC ($3,000), and NFLD ($2,500). On top of $5,000 Federal rebate.
BC top rebate is $4,000 (if under $80k income).

· Registered
11 Posts
i ordered mine in May 2022 and AWD with ultimate package. GTA. What are my prospects of getting one in 2023 ? dealer is not very helpful.
As far as I know the last orders that dealerships were able to make was in February 2022. Anything after that is a 'preorder' and has not actually been ordered yet. Dealerships are waiting for Hyundai to open ordering for Ioniq 5 in Canada since March 2022. My dealership in Brandon, Manitoba told me that the orders he placed Nov 2021 - Feb 2022 are scheduled to arrive in July 2023. He also said that dealerships should know soon how many Ioniq 5 orders they will be allotted (I am #2 on the list at my dealership). My guess is that there will be a lot of orders ahead of your May 2022 preorder; however, being GTA your dealership might get a lot of allotment. Good luck!

· Registered
11 Posts
Ontario aswell, Mountain Hyundai in Hamilton, deposit put down Mar.7th 22 , reached out a few times with either no news or more frequently no response, is a shame I really loved the test drive in this but I will be collecting my deposit and have already put one down on 23 Outlander phev
You might want to hold off on that decision. If you put a deposit down in early March you should be near the top of the list when ordering does open up. Have you asked your dealership where you are in their preorder list? Each dealership will get an allotment (hopefully soon). I'd hate to see you give up a good spot if ordering does open up.

· Registered
31 Posts
I asked my sales about my preorder position at the dealer and he kept on telling me there is no queue or position and they are getting a fixed allocation.
Is it because Hyundai just give them Ioniq 5, they have no idea what trim, color or option they will get. They will try to match whatever they got with their list of preorders?

· Registered
29 Posts
You might want to hold off on that decision. If you put a deposit down in early March you should be near the top of the list when ordering does open up. Have you asked your dealership where you are in their preorder list? Each dealership will get an allotment (hopefully soon). I'd hate to see you give up a good spot if ordering does open up.
The first 2 times I asked I got no response, the 3rd time they told me they couldn't tell me since there were multiple sales reps taking pre orders so I gave up getting any reliable info from them

· Registered
11 Posts
The first 2 times I asked I got no response, the 3rd time they told me they couldn't tell me since there were multiple sales reps taking pre orders so I gave up getting any reliable info from them
My dealership is a rather small rural dealership. I guess there are some advantages to small dealerships. I have been given straight information right from the start. The only thing that hasn't been completely accurate is that I was told ordering might open in December (back in March) but was more expected to be early in 2023. Now it is still uncertain when ordering will resume.

· Registered
29 Posts
You've motivated me to reach out again today and to my surprise I was responded to quite quickly, although dodging my dealer rank question "Good afternoon,

As of Jan 3,2023 we were told that they are currently still completing deposits/orders placed in 2021. We are trying to offer cancelled orders to current deposit holders before these vehicles are offered to public"

To which I have asked if they are being reallocated at msrp

· Registered
84 Posts
You've motivated me to reach out again today and to my surprise I was responded to quite quickly, although dodging my dealer rank question "Good afternoon,

As of Jan 3,2023 we were told that they are currently still completing deposits/orders placed in 2021. We are trying to offer cancelled orders to current deposit holders before these vehicles are offered to public"

To which I have asked if they are being reallocated at msrp
Current deposit holders on the national list? They have to sell at MSRP to people who put down deposits, however, they will use the 2023 pricing.

221 - 240 of 247 Posts