Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can’t say about the engine speed issue, but on the charging speed issue my opinion is it has to be a problem with that car, or a software change since August. In that July video Bjorn repeatedly raves about the charging speed. It was a warmer weather drive than this recent one. Towards the end he fully charges the battery and around 80% full it throttles back, but only to about 100kw, and that’s normal which is why it’s recommended to only recharge to 80%? He finishes charging to 100% and it stays around 100kw and the battery at that point is 51c.
A couple of German guys posted a video of crossing the country at high speeds on a hot summer day and their average charge spped was 170-200kw.
Finally the car is from Korea which gets very hot in Summer. Surely someone there would have noticed this past July to September?

·
Registered
199 Posts
it is def a demo car issue. Youtubers need to get another demo car before they keep spreading the falsehood wider
It’s already happening on here…

I need to charge my car to 100% today. I’ll do it at the local Ionity ultra fast charger. I’ll charge up then boot it up the motorway see if I notice anything. The temperature today isn’t going to get much beyond 17C though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It’s already happening on here…

I need to charge my car to 100% today. I’ll do it at the local Ionity ultra fast charger. I’ll charge up then boot it up the motorway see if I notice anything. The temperature today isn’t going to get much beyond 17C though.
let us know how it goes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Charging to 100% might not be the best test because at the end charging is going to be really slow which will probably let the battery cool down before you start driving.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Charging to 100% might not be the best test because at the end charging is going to be really slow which will probably let the battery cool down before you start driving.
I’ve charged loads of times to 80% and then straight onto the motorway. I’ve not felt any performance limitations so my conclusion is this is a non-issue for me in my use case in my car. In 40 degree plus heat who knows but climate change will have to seriously get worse for that to impact the UK. 😂

·
Registered
13 Posts
The conditions for the test would need to see the charger throttle hard back to about 100KW or less, ie the battery max temp limit exceeds 50C at SOC about 80% then straight into a test drive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure if this helps understand the cooling that goes on in a battery because I'm not an engineer or speak Korean but it might be interesting to some. Video of opening the Ioniq5 battery.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The conditions for the test would need to see the charger throttle hard back to about 100KW or less, ie the battery max temp limit exceeds 50C at SOC about 80% then straight into a test drive.
I’ve charged it several times from about 30% to 80% then straight back onto the motorway. No issues. The charged today was from 50-100 as my other half has a long run tomorrow. Again no issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve charged it several times from about 30% to 80% then straight back onto the motorway. No issues. The charged today was from 50-100 as my other half has a long run tomorrow. Again no issues.
Sounds like the test car has some specific issues then...Good news. Good test. Bjorn might do some follow up with the dealer and Hyundai investigations hopefully to clear the air...

·
Registered
1 Posts
For what it's worth, my Kona had a similar issue initially, the battery cooling loop was running, but the coolant chiller and the heat pump were not. When I was DC charging, the battery temperature would increase quickly and then the BMS would limit the charge power. The issue was fixed by one of the software update. It was not a systemic issue for all konas at the time (in fact only 2 people including me were talking about it online)

·
Registered
13 Posts
For what it's worth, my Kona had a similar issue initially, the battery cooling loop was running, but the coolant chiller and the heat pump were not. When I was DC charging, the battery temperature would increase quickly and then the BMS would limit the charge power. The issue was fixed by one of the software update. It was not a systemic issue for all konas at the time (in fact only 2 people including me were talking about it online)
I had a look at the charge curve Bjorn did in July 2021 on a dark coloured Ioniq5 it had very similar battery heat up characteristics as the latest one he is testing. The complete charge data in the test showed max battery temp rising at about a degree a minute at early 200kW, then 175kW charge pace starting from 31C. It took just 10mins to get to 45C where that motor limits seems to start to apply. took only 15 mins to get to 51C ie where motor seems to be cut back to 70KW output. In that charge I reckon the motor cut was applicable from 10mins into the charge (first small cutback) to 32 minute point where it was cooling back to 45 because of High SOC and low charge kW. So effectively if the charge was stopped at any point from 15mins (70%SOC to 30mins (90%SOC) there would have been power limited. The battery sat at 50+ from15 mins to 32mins so the limit would have been pretty harsh in that period. Hope that it is what you say a heat pump cooling chilling circuit problem not a universal issue. Bjorn just seems to have been unlucky 2 out of 2 cars.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I’m measuring the impact of the apparent problem using my right foot and the seat of my pants. In my use case of covering 2000 miles and many different charging scenarios I’ve not noticed ANY discernible power limiting behaviour of the car and I’d notice it if it was doing it.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
454 Posts
I’m measuring the impact of the apparent problem using my right foot and the seat of my pants. In my use case of covering 2000 miles and many different charging scenarios I’ve not noticed ANY discernible power limiting behaviour of the car and I’d notice it if it was doing it.
I think Bjorn made the same comment in one of his review videos. While interesting, I think this is a non-problem in normal driving. Drag racing, a different story.

·
Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
374 Posts
I think Bjorn made the same comment in one of his review videos. While interesting, I think this is a non-problem in normal driving. Drag racing, a different story.
Yeah I watched the full bjorn drive last night. What he described is a combination of lazy BMS programming (not allowing for multiple high charging rates in a single trip) and not taking breaks while travelling. The latter of course was what he was testing in the car.

The Tesla charging system now makes sense to me. It starts high & the software gradually reduces to almost nothing over a charging session. That obviously avoids overheating the batteries. Clever BMS programming.

Hyundai should be able to fix that with a smarter software update, if it hasn’t already. In the mean time, as it fixes itself fairly quickly, I don’t see it as more than a nuisance. But one you need to be aware of.

·
Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
374 Posts
for some reason my post duplicated itself. This one now deleted.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Project 45 in digital teal green
16 Posts
New to forum, but thought I’d chip in on this one. Had my Project 45 since beginning of September. Worcester to Whitby on holiday so motorway driving. Down to 15% charge and used Ionity Leeds to 95%. Then back on motorway. No performance issues. Same on return journey.
I have the latest software update.
As my old Stats lecturer used to say, one is not a sample. But I don’t think there is a battery heating problem.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts