Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 73 Ultimate RWD in GG - Now rejected
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope the link below works (YouTube video) because I have no idea of what the presenter means by 'Thermal Throttling' after he has rapid charged his Ioniq 5 AWD test vehicle.

He's talking about the car suffering a 50% power loss after a recharge so has anyone else experienced this issue.

Cheers,

SB

·
Registered
24 Posts
I saw that and it seemed to happen to Teslabjorn on his 1000km test to Sweden and back also. Not sure if it's a software/firmware issue affecting all Ioniq 5's or just something that's going wrong those particular vehicles. We'll see as time goes on and if we see more reports of this. If it is a problem then it'll be interesting to see how Hyundai handles it

·
Registered
200 Posts
I’ve never experienced it after using the high capacity chargers but the fastest I’ve charged at has been 218kW and I didn’t try and use full power afterwards.

How big a problem is it really though?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kris and Bjørn both used the same demo/press car (reg: EC 57366) so it could be an one off due to that car been been put through so many high power charging tests, 1000km challenges and other press duties etc…

Bjørn mention it wasn’t really a problem, power was limited but enough to get up to motorway speed and maintain it. Full power was back once the battery was cool (after 5-10mins IIRC).

·
Registered
2 Posts
This would definitely concern me and I hope there is an official statement/finding on this soon. Unexpected loss/surge of power is absolutely a hazard, especially since there is no notification.
If you attempt a merge that you would normally be able to do with regular power, you could put yourself in a dangerous spot if the expected power is not there.
Similarly, if you have low power output and the available power suddenly increases you may press the throttle harder than you adjusted for and have unintended acceleration.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kris and Bjørn both used the same demo/press car (reg: EC 57366) so it could be an one off due to that car been been put through so many high power charging tests, 1000km challenges and other press duties etc…

Bjørn mention it wasn’t really a problem, power was limited but enough to get up to motorway speed and maintain it. Full power was back once the battery was cool (after 5-10mins IIRC).
Good to know. This issue had me wavering on the Ioniq 5. But we'll see as time goes on but at this point no other EV checks as many boxes for me in what I'm hoping is in my price range.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This would definitely concern me and I hope there is an official statement/finding on this soon. Unexpected loss/surge of power is absolutely a hazard, especially since there is no notification.
If you attempt a merge that you would normally be able to do with regular power, you could put yourself in a dangerous spot if the expected power is not there.
Similarly, if you have low power output and the available power suddenly increases you may press the throttle harder than you adjusted for and have unintended acceleration.
If this is a designed in feature to protect the battery after a high speed charging session you can be pretty certain the car will manage it in a way that won’t manifest itself in the way you describe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Isn't this exactly what Kris/Bjorn's model has shown? There was no notification, they only noticed the lack of power the next time they tried to floor it soon after charging. After some time they were able to get full power by trying every couple of minutes, but again, no notification.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 73 Ultimate RWD in GG - Now rejected
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some great replies guys and they're all fantastic for an EV newbie like me.

We currently have the I5 RWD 73 version for now but I'm thinking of selling it this month (while the prices and the demand remains high); with the thought of buying the EV6 AWD, hence my interest in the I5 AWD as I know both the Kia and the Hyundai have similiar design properties. I need to do some more research before I purchase any other EV though.

All the best,

SB

·
Registered
200 Posts
Isn't this exactly what Kris/Bjorn's model has shown? There was no notification, they only noticed the lack of power the next time they tried to floor it soon after charging. After some time they were able to get full power by trying every couple of minutes, but again, no notification.

Until I experience it myself and therefore can judge for myself what impact it really has then I’m taking their comments with a pinch of salt. Taking it to an extreme strawman position of it being dangerous is a bit extreme.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Balance Vision
611 Posts
I don’t like this guy and I don’t trust him. I made attention to him for some serious lies. So forget him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, can someone confirm the problem exists in their vehicles? I've never before heard about this issue. Moreover, Bjorn Nyland had previously tested another Ioniq 5 and didn't notice the problem either. I know he explained that back then he was driving slower and charged less frequently, but I don't really think it's likely that those were the reasons. There was the known problem with the coolant leakage in earlier Ioniq 5s, maybe it has something to do with it?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well, can someone confirm the problem exists in their vehicles? I've never before heard about this issue. Moreover, Bjorn Nyland had previously tested another Ioniq 5 and didn't notice the problem either. I know he explained that back then he was driving slower and charged less frequently, but I don't really think it's likely that those were the reasons. There was the known problem with the coolant leakage in earlier Ioniq 5s, maybe it has something to do with it?
I’ve not noticed it and I’ve used the Ionity chargers which charge at a fast rate. I have a rather heavy right foot so if it was significantly holding back power I’d have noticed.

I will check it out the next time I use a fast charger.

·
Registered
72 Posts
used Ionity fast chargers 3 times last week and did not noticed any throttling.
to 80% brugnato and drive immediately. Max rate I noticed was 184kW.
to 90% versilia, and drove immediately. Outside temp 25c, battery module temp were 29c to 32c. No sign of throttling afterwards. Took some screenshots checking battery temps During the charging for curiosity.

Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Parallel
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle

temp went up to 31c at Pisa, so it was not a cold day, but I never noticed high battery temps so far that might warrant any throttling.

to 90% piacenza, but ended up driving 30 mins later due to eating all you can eat sushi

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 2021, Special Edition LR RWD, Galactic Grey
79 Posts
Tesla Bjørn has put out his final thoughts on the IONIQ 5 and talks about the throttling “issue” around 18:00.
The "issue" that turned out to be no issue at all :oops: (as opposed to Chris Rifa's opinion).

In summary: "Highly recommended", but take your time to watch the whole video...

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
456 Posts
I did watch the whole video. Soooooo mmmmmmmmmmanny round abouts. We have very few in the US.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts