Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
509 Posts
Glad I am not due to collect my car for another 2 weeks after reading these posts. Dealer is 22 miles from home and it is going to be uphill into 40 mph winds at 0c this weekend. May not make it 😂
You're assuming your dealer wll have charged the car to 100%! If he only charges to 50%, you're really in for a struggle! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Greetings everyone.

Having recently picked up my new Ioniq 5 advanced (rear wheel drive only) with the extended battery I was all fired up.
Finally my Ioniq 2020 was out-matched, our so I thought.
For sure - the I5 charging is way way better than the I2020, but range .. Oh dear. Not sure what to say.
Having done around 3000 km, I seems to be stuck around 4,4-4,6km/kwh - and a actual range below of 300km.
This is far far away from the WLTP of 481km (to compare - my I2020 has a WLTP of 311km and does around 240km in real life). Running in ECO mode, and maxing speed at 110km/h,, driving really old-man-style here with optimized use of recuperation rather than manual breakes.
I am soooooooooo dissapointed.
I would be very interested in hearing from other owner about their range experiance

Cheers
Jørgen
This is not my experience. I have almost finished the second month with the I5 RWD 73kwh (first month observations HERE).

With the heating set to 20 C, fan set @ level 1, with external temp @ 2C I am getting a real world range of around 2.4 miles per percent. Yes this equates to 240 miles for 100% but it is rare that I charge to 100%. When warm (external 15C+) I have averaged around 2.8 miles per %. Overall my average is currently 3.7 miles/kwh down from initial 3.9 which I guess is around 275 miles for a full charge?

I tend to do 80% motorway driving so I set as follows for the above figures;

if not wet/icy then ECO mode, regen Level 1
If wet/icy, SNOW mode. Regen is also 1. SNOW mode is because I find the traction control a little sharp and SNOW smooths the power delivery to stop wheel spin. Basically it now drives a little like a standard ICE car with respect to off the line acceleration.

If cold/icy, I use the app to start the climate control. This is very useful as the car is ready to go when I get to it. I like this feature a lot. Not having to wait for defrost in the car is great 😀

I am doing a long journey this weekend so I will make note on temps, mileage and charging.

·
Registered
2021, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate 73KWh RWD
50 Posts
This is not my experience. I have almost finished the second month with the I5 RWD 73kwh (first month observations HERE).

With the heating set to 20 C, fan set @ level 1, with external temp @ 2C I am getting a real world range of around 2.4 miles per percent. Yes this equates to 240 miles for 100% but it is rare that I charge to 100%. When warm (external 15C+) I have averaged around 2.8 miles per %. Overall my average is currently 3.7 miles/kwh down from initial 3.9 which I guess is around 275 miles for a full charge?

I tend to do 80% motorway driving so I set as follows for the above figures;

if not wet/icy then ECO mode, regen Level 1
If wet/icy, SNOW mode. Regen is also 1. SNOW mode is because I find the traction control a little sharp and SNOW smooths the power delivery to stop wheel spin. Basically it now drives a little like a standard ICE car with respect to off the line acceleration.

If cold/icy, I use the app to start the climate control. This is very useful as the car is ready to go when I get to it. I like this feature a lot. Not having to wait for defrost in the car is great 😀

I am doing a long journey this weekend so I will make note on temps, mileage and charging.
If I was getting 2.4 miles per 1% of battery used I would more than happy. I am getting just over that range per KWh 2.5-2.7 miles/KWh

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm getting an average of 16.5 kWh / 100km in the rain. 15 degrees outside, ac set to 21 inside with 2 adults and 2 kids. 20 inch wheels awd Australian spec.

Mostly driving around 80 kph. For reference my kona ev did the same trip with 14 averaged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Jorgen,

as a seasoned ev driver i can tell you welcome to the family. I own a 40kwh leaf , and we are making the transition to the 72 kwh rwd I5 that will hopefully arrive somewhere 2022.

The story on the range of the leaf is a funny one. In Japan most of the roads are max 80 km/h as such you get a nice range and it has been rated on that speed too.

Our experience is such that we dont realy look at WLTP ( We Lie To Perform) range anymore. EV driving has become almost as flying .
Long distance planning , headwind, tailwind, OAT (outside air temp) , Air density . Climbing, descending,

Our Leaf goes from 290 km’s in the summer to a whopping 200 in dead winter. Now thats a variable 😂.

keep in mind : We LIE To Perform … WLTP
I am sure they would love to test in a vacuum to get to those figures

·
Registered
14 Posts
Having read many of the experiences and comments here about (limited) range, I have found these two contrasting posts interesting, and somewhat encouraging.

The first video, by Hyundai, is their "experience" at testing the maximum "real-world" range, on Japanese roads, and the most obvious point is the very low speeds they used to achieve it - an averge of 47 kmph. The videos fine-print, at the bottom of the screen at one point, states they drove at an average of 80% of the posted speed limits. So to your point, ETOPS, it looks like they did much of their route on roads with a limit of 60 kmph, not even 80. But this does show the huge impact of aerodynamics on the achievable mileage.
But they do (or claim to) achieve 602 km range!

And this article, another real world test as part of a multi EV car test, but at normal highway speeds, and even driving into the mountains, achieves over 500 km or over 300 mi., but under ideal summer conditions.
But this is also not very practical, since they achieve this by driving until the battery is absolutely flat, 40 km past the point where the battery had indicated no more range.
You may need to translate it from the Norwegian...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m amazed people have put any faith in WLTP figures and not researched the real world range! Furthermore as with any other vehicle range will always drop off at this time of year.
Driving style, particularly with a car lacking aero dynamics, and an ev, will also play a heavy role. Speeds in excess of 65mph kill range.
Im sure in summer months an average of 240 miles will be easily achievable, that being the case 200- 220 at this time of year would be my expectation before I committed to ordering. Having researched before that nothing have read here comes as a particular surprise to me. I’ve got a BMW i3 which shows a range of 10-15% less in winter than summer - about comparable.
And just wait until you see what the torque/acceleration/weight and driving style does to tyre wear but that’s for discussion in about 12 months time 😂!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The solution to all your range problems. Avoid highways 😋. Or stick to the slowlane behind a truck. Avoiding highways also shows you the country side. There is a Russian proverb that says When on the road dont behave like your in kosmos. Not that they stick to that btw 😂

·
Registered
I5 AWD Eco + Tech Lucid Blue (on order)
35 Posts
I don’t think it’s WLTP driving this just the major cliff, possibly, for winter efficiency or lack thereof.

I was hoping for 200 miles reliable range even in colder temps then summer anything above that is a bonus. However the get out of jail was the fast charging, again this seems like it is temperature dependent.

I’m happy with my decision and can’t wait for Feb next year to get delivery - all being well!!

I’m amazed people have put any faith in WLTP figures and not researched the real world range! Furthermore as with any other vehicle range will always drop off at this time of year.
Driving style, particularly with a car lacking aero dynamics, and an ev, will also play a heavy role. Speeds in excess of 65mph kill range.
Im sure in summer months an average of 240 miles will be easily achievable, that being the case 200- 220 at this time of year would be my expectation before I committed to ordering. Having researched before that nothing have read here comes as a particular surprise to me. I’ve got a BMW i3 which shows a range of 10-15% less in winter than summer - about comparable.
And just wait until you see what the torque/acceleration/weight and driving style does to tyre wear but that’s for discussion in about 12 months time 😂!

61 - 75 of 75 Posts