Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
I use 65%-66% battery to drive about 200km with studded tires on a motorway with speeds between 90 and 120 km/h and a bunch of overtaking at 0C.
You are either driving like a complete lunatic or you have some weird tires on with very bad rolling resistance. Also might be good to check the alignment on the car.

·
Registered
2021, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate 73KWh RWD
50 Posts
A few notable differences:
  • I5 is nearly 400kg heavier (RWD, 72kwh)
  • I5 is 10cm wider
  • I5 is 13cm taller
  • I5 has significantly bigger wheels
Bigger, heaver cars use more energy to move them, period.
I was aware that the Ioniq 5 is a bigger heavier car.
The point I was making was that a 38KWh battery in an Ioniq will travel almost as far a 72KWh battery in an Ioniq 5!

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
I was aware that the Ioniq 5 is a bigger heavier car.
The point I was making was that a 38KWh battery in an Ioniq will travel almost as far a 72KWh battery in an Ioniq 5!
The Ioniq 5 has a CD of 0.29, which is pretty bad. The original Ioniq has a CD of 0.24.
Keep in mind that CD has nothing to do with the size of the car, so you have to multiply that by the front area.

As you know front area rises as a square of the measurements. So if you measure everything, then the Ioniq 5 is probably around 40-50% less efficient than the original Ioniq depending on the speed you are traveling at.
This is why you get great range in the city and bad range on the highway.

If you need to drive mostly on the highway and you are worried about range - buy a Model 3 or if you have deeper pockets and would like something that feels like a much nicer place to be - the Taycan 4S with the big battery.

·
Registered
189 Posts
According to this test (thanks @peterdevon for citing) - the I5 travels ~50 km farther than the 0% range on the display, yes, in turtle mode. I don't think I have this with my classic Ioniq.
It seems Hyundai took here a different strategy of putting display 0% further away from the real dangerous zero. This may mean that in contrast to my usual charging strategy of starting at 20-25% SOC, with my upcoming I5 72.6 I can safely start at 10-15%?
In the rare case of misjudging distance and coming to a non working or crowded public station with 3% on the clock - I can still (slowly...) move up to 50 km to the next station...
I wonder how WLTP test is run: up to 0% on the display? or up to car stops moving?

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
558 Posts
According to this test (thanks @peterdevon for citing) - the I5 travels ~50 km farther than the 0% range on the display, yes, in turtle mode. I don't think I have this with my classic Ioniq.
It seems Hyundai took here a different strategy of putting display 0% further away from the real dangerous zero. This may mean that in contrast to my usual charging strategy of starting at 20-25% SOC, with my upcoming I5 72.6 I can safely start at 10-15%?
In the rare case of misjudging distance and coming to a non working or crowded public station with 3% on the clock - I can still (slowly...) move up to 50 km to the next station...
I wonder how WLTP test is run: up to 0% on the display? or up to car stops moving?
There is no actual driving of the car. It is all on a dyno. The procedure is discussed in the link below.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think maybe you should get your car checked because that range seems abnormally low and I haven't seen any others complain of ranges that low. In fact I just saw this picture posted on the Ioniq 5 Facebook group.

Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
212 Posts
I have an 58kwh on order so I am concerned as well, but i have accepted that its a cost of this vehicle at this price.

At the end of the day the thing that saves this low range is the fast charging. If you are only stopping for 10-20 mins at a time instead of 20-40 mins, it really isnt that big a deal.
Gotta remember price paid, after the $5K rebate pretty enticing for sure on the Essential Preferred rwd

·
Registered
90 Posts
Having done around 3000 km, I seems to be stuck around 4,4-4,6km/kwh - and a actual range below of 300km.
This is far far away from the WLTP of 481km (to compare - my I2020 has a WLTP of 311km and does around 240km in real life). Running in ECO mode, and maxing speed at 110km/h,, driving really old-man-style here with optimized use of recuperation rather than manual breakes.
I am soooooooooo dissapointed.
I would be very interested in hearing from other owner about their range experiance
I have done between 3500 and 4000 km now since I got mine. In and out of Oslo. Your use seems a little high.
I have highways up to 90km/h, but it normally goes a little higher in actual speed.

First to compare to my old eGolf. It had a 4000km trip teller, that through the 5,5 years I had it, both summer and winter, showed around 14,6kWh pr 100km. It also showed average speed on it, and it was as low as 46-50 km/h.

The same numbers for the I5 this far is 18,9kWh pr 100km (Choose that viewing since it was the same as my last car). Most of that has been in Normal mode. Have changed to Eco now the last weeks ish to test how that is.

From the App, last month which was my first full month with the car. I drove 2099 km, max speed 133km/t, 2904 minutes and average speed just 40km/t. The last one is thanks to the Covid ques, since to many havn't dared to go back to trains and busses yet. (Alot more ques here now than before the pandemic)

This far this month I have driven 1526 km, in 2173 minutes. Average 41km/t and max 111km/t. shorter km, but longer time. The reason for that seems to be that the I5 counts pre-heating as usable time. Which will bring down the average speed alot. Have pre-heated alot more this month. I mostly pre-heat not connected to a charger. Actually haven't connected it to my home charger yet, only charged at work (For free :D ).

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
509 Posts
A few notable differences:
  • I5 is nearly 400kg heavier (RWD, 72kwh)
  • I5 is 10cm wider
  • I5 is 13cm taller
  • I5 has significantly bigger wheels
Bigger, heaver cars use more energy to move them, period.
Yep. I bought an ID.3 58 kWh at the same time as I had my Ioniq 38, thinking the 50% larger battery in a Golf-sized car should surely go about 40% further, allowing for VW's engineering to be a bit more "robust" & "heavyweight" than Hyundai's.
Comparing the two on 40 mile trips along the motorway at genuine 70 on the same day, I found the VW used 10% more power, which has to be down to substantially wider & heavier tyres, and being taller, and a less aerodynamic shape. By the time the VW's controls (lack of) started annoying me, lack of flappy paddles etc, I sold it & don't regret it. And the ID.4 is an even bigger & heavier box on the same platform, and is going to be less efficient than the ID.3. And it's about I5 size. And these new cars are not sleek coupe shapes by any means. Says it all, really...

·
Registered
I5 AWD Eco + Tech Lucid Blue (on order)
35 Posts
I ordered the I5 knowing, as per any BEV the winter range would take a hiding. however I am concerned on these reports that potentially 50% of WLTP range may be lost during winter (for AWD). Couple that with the software not maximising the heat pump/battery prep to temps with charging feels like Hyundai haven’t maximised the potential in the platform yet.

Tesla USP doesn’t seem to solely be the charger network also the drivetrain efficiency it seems

·
Registered
Own Lucid Blue RWD 73KW Premium Ioniq 5
80 Posts
I think maybe you should get your car checked because that range seems abnormally low and I haven't seen any others complain of ranges that low. In fact I just saw this picture posted on the Ioniq 5 Facebook group.

View attachment 36847
But this is after recharge and .2 miles Which is what the bottom figure shows as well - change to 'Accumulated' and see what you are achieving overall (assuming you haven't reset it)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Driving style can have a big impact, as well as weather. I was getting 4.1. miles kWh which has dropped to 3.9miles. Lower temp and using heater accounts for drop in range.

60mph vs 70mph makes a big difference due to the wind resistance.

I got used to driving with a light foot and not not going over 60 too much when I had an i3 as it’s range was a lot lower. It was a fun car though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Luca, wow! Am I reading this correctly? An average of 6.5 kWh/100? At what speed did you drive? All city surely?

Interested because I am about to order an Ioniq 5 73 kWh RWD.
You are reading correctly but the text on the screen is wrong. They mix km/kwh (numbers) and kwh/100km (text).
The graph is km/kwh.

one week is not enough to judge the consumption, but heating the car had a big influence.

One trip of 15km the consumption was 13,4kwh/100km, driving max 70kmh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aha, makes more sense. Still, I think the car's strength will be its charging speed. There is that video where Car Maniac drives from München to Frankfurth (400km) at a sustained 180 km/h for a part of the trip at 7°C, consuming 50 kWh/100. It IS possible but you'll need to charge every 100 km though 😁. He finally averaged at 30 kWh/100 for the whole trip. Type of test only allowed in Germany!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I too am very disappointed with the real world range.
I have a long range RWD Ultimate, I am currently achieving 4.34km/kWh (2.7miles/KWh), this equates to about 160 miles assuming running down to 20%from 100% or 176 when running down to 10%. But in the real world who always charges to 100%?
I’m averaging 3.2 mi/kWh in a P45.

I’ve done 4000 miles in it with several 800 mile round trips. I’m not finding the range to be much of an issue.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts