Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone.

Having recently picked up my new Ioniq 5 advanced (rear wheel drive only) with the extended battery I was all fired up.
Finally my Ioniq 2020 was out-matched, our so I thought.
For sure - the I5 charging is way way better than the I2020, but range .. Oh dear. Not sure what to say.
Having done around 3000 km, I seems to be stuck around 4,4-4,6km/kwh - and a actual range below of 300km.
This is far far away from the WLTP of 481km (to compare - my I2020 has a WLTP of 311km and does around 240km in real life). Running in ECO mode, and maxing speed at 110km/h,, driving really old-man-style here with optimized use of recuperation rather than manual breakes.
I am soooooooooo dissapointed.
I would be very interested in hearing from other owner about their range experiance

Cheers
Jørgen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi before I buy Ioniq5 i look on EV Database. There are realistics range.

I tested cold weather 10 days ago and i really have about 270 km range In august in city i have more than 500 km range. Very realistic data.

For example, model Y have Highway - Cold Weather - 295 km range and Tesla Y is the most efective EV car. But difference between the range of Ioniq 5 and model Y is small.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The car is not at its best when driving at speed on highw. You'll get possibly even more than WLTP figures if driving in town at lower speed, and optimal temperature (22⁰).

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Project 45 and E-Niro 4+. (Previously, Polestar2, Tesla M3, Ampera, Ioniq)
186 Posts
We did a 100 mile round trip today and battery dropped from 100% to 51% :eek:

Ours is a P45, the weather was cold (for the UK), wet and windy. The journeys was a mix of country roads, single carriageway, and dual carriageways. Average speed was 45 MPH.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sure, the slower and warmer the better. Got it. Particually as I5 is much more bulky and heavier then I2020.
Just from my I2020 I'm "used" to loose ~20% ([email protected] vs [email protected]).
But with I5 i'm loosing ~40%. I must admid I don't find that resonable.
It kind of defy the hole point of I5 (in my opinion) as a farst charging, long haul car. It's more like a farst charging, city driving SUV (and who on earth realistically needs a SUV in the city ....)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ioniq5 is a big fat electric cow.
And it does not match neither Kona and even less classic Ioniq in efficiency.
It was evident from the Moon that Hyundai wanted to serve completely different market segment where no one really cares about efficency, they care more about latest bling bling.

·
Registered
2021, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate 73KWh RWD
50 Posts
I too am very disappointed with the real world range.
I have a long range RWD Ultimate, I am currently achieving 4.34km/kWh (2.7miles/KWh), this equates to about 160 miles assuming running down to 20%from 100% or 176 when running down to 10%. But in the real world who always charges to 100%?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm amused at all the range complaining. I'm guessing most of you have never ridden motorcycles. I used to commute year around and have taken many long distance/cross country trips with my fellow cyclists. Very few motorcycles get over 200 miles on a tank. And if they do you stop long before that for a break. Never once in hanging out with them or on motorcycles forums did anyone ever ask or complain or make buying decisions based on range. I've come to the conclusion that the reason is there is a fueling station practically at every exit and several in just about every town. So as charging stations become more prevalent this range anxiety issue will fade away also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 58kwh on order so I am concerned as well, but i have accepted that its a cost of this vehicle at this price.

At the end of the day the thing that saves this low range is the fast charging. If you are only stopping for 10-20 mins at a time instead of 20-40 mins, it really isnt that big a deal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm amused at all the range complaining. I'm guessing most of you have never ridden motorcycles. I used to commute year around and have taken many long distance/cross country trips with my fellow cyclists. Very few motorcycles get over 200 miles on a tank. And if they do you stop long before that for a break. Never once in hanging out with them or on motorcycles forums did anyone ever ask or complain or make buying decisions based on range. I've come to the conclusion that the reason is there is a fueling station practically at every exit and several in just about every town. So as charging stations become more prevalent this range anxiety issue will fade away also.
I don't have range anxiety, I know where the EV chargers are.
I am annoyed because I bought I car that made claims in the brochure that are no where near achievable in the real world. Up to 298 miles is claimed, I didn't expect to get that, but 250-260 should be possible.
Also using Ionity 350KWh chargers does not get me charging speeds anywhere close to 220KWh!
Very disappointing considering the cost of the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't have range anxiety, I know where the EV chargers are.
I am annoyed because I bought I car that made claims in the brochure that are no where near achievable in the real world. Up to 298 miles is claimed, I didn't expect to get that, but 250-260 should be possible.
Also using Ionity 350KWh chargers does not get me charging speeds anywhere close to 220KWh!
Very disappointing considering the cost of the car.
I'm sorry you feel this way, but it's not specific to the Ioniq 5: any EV would experience a similar loss of range as the weather gets colder. Sure, a heat pump and narrower tyres will reduce the impact, but it's still there.

The charging speed will likely change as ty software evolves and they add preheating (where possible).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sorry you feel this way, but it's not specific to the Ioniq 5: any EV would experience a similar loss of range as the weather gets colder. Sure, a heat pump and narrower tyres will reduce the impact, but it's still there.

The charging speed will likely change as ty software evolves and they add preheating (where possible).
I disagree with your statement here.
My Ioniq 2020 has nowhere NEAR the same difference in WLPT vs Real (see original post).
For sure I didn't expect to be able to drive 481Km - but I certainly didn't expect a +40% drop neither.

·
Registered
50 Posts

When charging speeds are quoted in brochures they should state "at release or when we have worked out the necessary software" Then we would all know what we are buying!
I paid for the Eco pack with battery heating and heat pump!
Do you have an Ioniq 5?

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's not even cold here in the UK and yet some of the range drops in the Hyundai I5 and Kia EV6 platforms have become quite noticeable indeed - some are already shocking.

We have lots of people here who have bought cars because they thought a 298 mile range was decent enough for them to move to an EV for the first time in their lives so they are going to be really disappointed when the real cold weather hits in a few weeks and the range drops again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Here in the UK there is no point whatsoever in using a motorbike as a range comparison indicator against an EV since we don't really use bikes here in the UK unless it's for a fun day out with your mates or for delivering pizza or documents around a city centre.

I'm a big biker (always have been) but I could never compare the two.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts