Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 38kWh
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, we are getting our Ioniq in April and we have ordered an untethered podpoint charger to charge car at home. My question is: what lenght is the type2 cable that comes with the car? What else should I know about charging at home? Cheers in advance(y)

·
Super Moderator
1,503 Posts
Welcome here!
Can you add your details in your signature?

My cable is 5 meters.

You have to find out up to which power level your home grid can deliver. The car allows 7.4 kW, but many houses in my country, including mine, cannot deliver that because their maximum total is three-phase 3x25A, from which the Ioniq only uses one phase, what could theoretically be 25A x 230V = 5.7 kW, but you also have to keep space for other three-phase equipment in the house, such as a heat pump or oven; therefore usually the maximum is set at 16A x 230V= 3.7 kW. This is indeed my home charge power level, so way below the 7.4 kW. By a charging point with dynamic load balancing that level can be made somewhat higher.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hi everyone, we are getting our Ioniq in April and we have ordered an untethered podpoint charger to charge car at home. My question is: what lenght is the type2 cable that comes with the car? What else should I know about charging at home? Cheers in advance(y)
Worth bearing in mind that if your charger has no cable (ie untethered) each time you want to charge you have to remove the cable from the car and plug it in. This can become a tiresome faff, unless you propose to keep the car cable permanently plugged into the charger, but then of course you will likely not be able to type 2 charge away from home as I believe most Type 2 public chargers are untethered.....certainly where I am. So saving a few £ by going untethered is not neccessarily a good idea.;)

By the way, when you get your car please add your model details to your signature block via your avitar as I and others have done. This helps ensure you get relevant answers to any questions you ask and are not mis-informed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My car didn't come with any cable, except the "granny charger" for plugging into a normal household outlet.

I had to go out and buy a type 2 cable myself. They come in different lengths, typically from 4 to 10 meters. For full flexibility with the Ioniq EV, you'll need 6-7 meters of cable to be able to drive up with the front end towards a public charger. If you don't mind always backing up towards the charger, 4-5 meters will suffice.

More than 7 meters won't do you any good. Also make sure that your cable is rated at 32 Amps, single phase. A three phase cable will work, but may be stiffer, heavier, and more expensive.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Worth bearing in mind that if your charger has no cable (ie untethered) each time you want to charge you have to remove the cable from the car and plug it in.
Not necessarily. You can keep an extra cable for that purpose, hanging from a hook in your garage or in a plastic crate inside your front door etc.

An untethered charger has its advantages:
  • Less clutter.
  • Less risk of vandalism or mischief.
  • Less wear of the cable since it can be kept protected from sun, wind and rain.
  • The cable can be taken inside for cleaning.
  • The cable can be easily replaced if faulty or damaged, or if you need a different length.
  • House guests with other types of sockets on their cars can use their own cables.

·
Registered
526 Posts
As no doubt you know you will need to confirm a cable route to them. Your circumstances might be different of course but I have had a tethered podpoint for over 2 years and I have been very pleased I did, it is so much more convenient. I am guessing I charge about 3 times per week, If you ask them very nicely they might even add it for free.

You might choose to consider your energy supplier. I have changed to Octopus Energy to take advantage of their night tariff of 5p per kwhr. If you decide to check them out use this link Octopus Energy and if you decide to go ahead we each get a £50 bonus.

But most importantly do please put some detail in your signature as no doubt you will have lots of questions regarding your new car and without that you may well get misleading answers or less responses than otherwise. Regardless I'm sure you will enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Not necessarily. You can keep an extra cable for that purpose, hanging from a hook in your garage or in a plastic crate inside your front door etc.

An untethered charger has its advantages:
  • Less clutter.
  • Less risk of vandalism or mischief.
  • Less wear of the cable since it can be kept protected from sun, wind and rain.
  • The cable can be taken inside for cleaning.
  • The cable can be easily replaced if faulty or damaged, or if you need a different length.
  • House guests with other types of sockets on their cars can use their own cables.
All valid points, though in my case the charger is within my garage and having it tethered offers the minimum faff and pluging/unpluging of cables. Just goes to show different horses for different courses, but having all the options available means a considered choice can be achieved.;)

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have two tethered Zappi chargers; one type one in the garage for the Outlander and an outside type two for the Ioniq.
if our needs change I can always swap or replace cables at modest cost.
i do have a couple of converters so that each car can be charged on the other Zappi.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I always recommend tethered. Much less faff. And experience shows that many people who opt for a socketed unit eventually leave one cable in the unit and buy a second cable for out and about use as they get fed up of the chore of coiling a dirty cable in and out of the boot constantly. Now that type 2 has become settled even if an EV visitor arrives it's highly likely that will take type 2 anyway. If not they will survive with a granny cable.

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 38kWh
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As no doubt you know you will need to confirm a cable route to them. Your circumstances might be different of course but I have had a tethered podpoint for over 2 years and I have been very pleased I did, it is so much more convenient. I am guessing I charge about 3 times per week, If you ask them very nicely they might even add it for free.

You might choose to consider your energy supplier. I have changed to Octopus Energy to take advantage of their night tariff of 5p per kwhr. If you decide to check them out use this link Octopus Energy and if you decide to go ahead we each get a £50 bonus.

But most importantly do please put some detail in your signature as no doubt you will have lots of questions regarding your new car and without that you may well get misleading answers or less responses than otherwise. Regardless I'm sure you will enjoy the experience.
Cheers, I will take a look at the Octopus deal however, for some reson my boss (wife) wants to wait until we will get the car. We will also ask for a cable (hope that podpoint is a generous company)

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq electric: white (2019)
4 Posts
I was provided with a 5 metre Type 2 cable with my Ioniq and the charge point installer only offered me a non-tethered charger, but I rapidly found that disconnecting and coiling/storing (and often having to dry) the cable following use, became tiresome, so I added a tethered cable which is the correct length to reach from the charging point to the car when reversed onto the driveway (now only taking moments to re/disconnect), which gives the best of both worlds; a choice of socketed or tethered type 2, on the one charge point.......I just retained the socket in case anyone with a different car/cable requirement visits.
Deborah.
IMG_20200211_122133.jpg

·
Registered
Ioniq electric 2020
2 Posts
[...] The car allows 7.4 kW, but many houses in my country, including mine, cannot deliver that because...
I got mine on February 2020, and it can charge up to 9kW on AC type 2. I don't charge at this rate at home (just using the 2.7kw 220V included cable), but on a charger at a store.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I got mine on February 2020, and it can charge up to 9kW on AC type 2. I don't charge at this rate at home (just using the 2.7kw 220V included cable), but on a charger at a store.
There might be something wrong with your IONIQ if it charges at 9 kW on type 2. The BMS on the 38 kWh IONIQ is rated for and should only draw 7.4 kW

·
Registered
3 Posts
The cable that came with my Kona was only 5m, it didnt reach from the charging station to the otherside of the drive.

Had to purchase a 10m cable (n)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I always recommend tethered. Much less faff. And experience shows that many people who opt for a socketed unit eventually leave one cable in the unit and buy a second cable for out and about use as they get fed up of the chore of coiling a dirty cable in and out of the boot constantly.
I'm very happy with my choice of an untethered charger. I use a second cable, but I don't leave it in the unit. I keep it in a plastic tray inside my front door where it's easy to keep it neat and clean. Not much "faff". It takes only a few seconds to take it out and plug it in.

By the way, why do some people install their chargers all the way down by the ground? I have mine at waist level where the socket is easily accessible.

Now that type 2 has become settled even if an EV visitor arrives it's highly likely that will take type 2 anyway. If not they will survive with a granny cable.
It's not only about socket type. My charger can deliver three phase power, but since the Ioniq can only take one phase, I use a single phase cable which is especially thin, flexible and easy to handle. Some cars, for example the Renault Zoe, have three phase onboard chargers. House guests with that capability can use their own cables.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts