Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an Ioniq Hybrid SEL for a few days to test drive and got to thinking about the Lifetime Warranty for the batteries. As you all know the 12 Battery is combined with the Lithium Ion batteries but as it turns out my dealer told me today that the 12 volt battery does not fall under the Lifetime Battery warranty. It actually has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. The dealer said the battery would cost $320 if it needed replacement but its no different than any 12 volt battery. Looks like Autozone will still be my go to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was my understanding that the Ioniq would not have a 12v. battery (in the USA), but rather a partition in the Lithium-Ion Polymer pack dedicated to being the starter battery. I read that if the starter partition of the battery dies, you can press a button somewhere (or flip a switch?) and have the car started from the (big) main hybrid battery pack. This brings up a few questions:

1) Is what I mentioned above accurate?
2) If so, is the partitioned part of the Lithium-Ion Polymer pack covered under warranty?
3) Where is this partition located and can it actually be changed out like a 12v. battery you can get from Autozone (as you mention)?
4) Why, if the car can be started from the "big" battery, is there any need to have a separate battery in the first place?

Source material from Motor Trend writer Kim Reynolds:

As an aside, here’s a very cool detail, too. Have you ever wondered why the heck a hybrid (with a charged lithium-ion battery) can wind up dead because its conventional lead-acid starter battery went flat? Yeah, that’s, like, dumb. The Ioniq deletes that 26-pound lead-acid sea anchor for a 12-volt source integrated right into the hybrid’s pack; if it somehow dies, there’s a button to essentially jump-start the engine from the big guy.

I've had an Ioniq Hybrid SEL for a few days to test drive and got to thinking about the Lifetime Warranty for the batteries. As you all know the 12 Battery is combined with the Lithium Ion batteries but as it turns out my dealer told me today that the 12 volt battery does not fall under the Lifetime Battery warranty. It actually has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. The dealer said the battery would cost $320 if it needed replacement but its no different than any 12 volt battery. Looks like Autozone will still be my go to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts