Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
269 Posts
That means water will run down into the door!
Yes, it makes the car look very shoddy. Living in Canberra winter, I really need to be able to get ice/frost off side windows using the window mechanism. This looks like the first car I might buy in 10 years that can’t do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I raised the lack of back wiper issue before and was told the rear camera can be turned on at any time and it was their opinion this would be ok. Not sure myself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did this guy get a bad car or is the side window issue consistent for all the owners? Any current car owners care to try out and comment?

·
Registered
208 Posts
On the side window issue all he said was the felt did not clean the side window when he rolled the window up.
That’s just it. The windows are not supposed to be cleaned when rolling up. It’s rolling them down that the trim at the base of the window should be squeegeeing the window mostly dry. In the video it looked like it was barely touched which means there wasn’t any seal there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That’s just it. The windows are not supposed to be cleaned when rolling up. It’s rolling them down that the trim at the base of the window should be squeegeeing the window mostly dry. In the video it looked like it was barely touched which means there wasn’t any seal there.
So my question is whether that’s just the reviewer having a bad car or is it endemic of all the Hi5 out there?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can't recall many cars that I have had whereby the lowering of the windows was a sufficient method of removing water from them, that's what I thought the river blade on the ice scraper was for.

·
Registered
Skoda Yeti 2.0 Very clean diesel (according to VW). Ioniq 5 Ultimate AWD 73kWh tech and eco in 2021!
8 Posts
Looks like Rain-X will be an essential for owners. The video looked like most of his rear windows problems were misting rather than a few raindrops: 90 seconds of demister and all good, I would have thought (not too much drain on the battery, or do it while plugged in).

But Rain-X everywhere - front, sides, back - looks like a necessary part of the regular cleaning routine that my wife tells me I should do more often. I've also got a bottle of Rain-X demister somewhere, bought for our elderly, ventilation-challenged kitcar. Might have to break that out in January…

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't recall many cars that I have had whereby the lowering of the windows was a sufficient method of removing water from them, that's what I thought the river blade on the ice scraper was for.
Both my current and previous cars do (and did) clear the windows of water and condensation when lowering. It's a godsend on a cold, drizzly, morning.

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 2021, Special Edition LR RWD, Galactic Grey
7 Posts
What a nice feature! Now I don't have to worry about getting scratches on the window if I have to roll it down in a dusty condition. ;)

I've had several cars that got scratches that way, probaly from small sand grains trapped between the window and the rubber sealing...

·
Registered
196 Posts
What a nice feature! Now I don't have to worry about getting scratches on the window if I have to roll it down in a dusty condition. ;)

I've had several cars that got scratches that way, probaly from small sand grains trapped between the window and the rubber sealing...
But when the water on the side windows eventually trickles down, where does it go? I'm guessing it rolls down inside the door panels. With the electronics for locks, windows, etc. in there, is that safe?

·
Registered
112 Posts
But when the water on the side windows eventually trickles down, where does it go? I'm guessing it rolls down inside the door panels. With the electronics for locks, windows, etc. in there, is that safe?
I suspect that the window seals tightly when fully closed and moves away from the flexible seal when it is lowered. The majority of the rain would run off the glass onto the outside of the door during a rain. It would only be the droplets clinging to the glass that would be lowered into the door, when the window is opened. The mechanics and electronics within the door have to be protected against moisture. It would be nice to have the glass wiped upon lowering, but as has been said, this then creates the potential for scratching the glass.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts