Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

As u guess i am newbie, and i reading on forum abuout new software update.
Can some post the latest link to where find tge layest download as on Hyundai site i do no see anyting specific to Europe or UK.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I got the USB 2.0 version of the above, because the i5 is USB 2 and I didn't know whether version 3 would work.
It would be great if there was a notification for each new update.
Don't worry, everyone here will post updates as soon one is available :)

And USB3.0 worked totally fine, its downwards compatible (did three updates with this one)

·
Registered
Own Lucid Blue RWD 73KW Premium Ioniq 5
80 Posts
I got this one,
SanDisk Ultra 64GB USB 3.0 130MB/s
Unfortunately as soon as it formats, it will become a 32GB USB! As ExFAT format can only handle 32GB. After that whenever you use it you can only use 32GB storage unless you fiddle around to reformat it as 64GB (which is a pain in the A!)

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
Unfortunately as soon as it formats, it will become a 32GB USB! As ExFAT format can only handle 32GB. After that whenever you use it you can only use 32GB storage unless you fiddle around to reformat it as 64GB (which is a pain in the A!)
I'm sorry, but you are mixing something up here.
exFAT can handle 128 PB. This is 128 000 000 GB.
FAT32 can handle 8TB, but windows does not let you format bigger than 32GB with FAT32. It will still happily read and write volumes of larger size though. You just need to use a 3rd party tool to format it, not the Windows built in tool.

So no limits whatsoever on exFAT.

Either way in the case of Hyundai updater, it does all the imaging for you. You just give it a USB stick and it writes the image to it.
Whether it is 32 GB or 512 GB doesn't matter. It will write the image to it with the size of the image and that's it.

·
Registered
Own Lucid Blue RWD 73KW Premium Ioniq 5
80 Posts
I'm sorry, but you are mixing something up here.
exFAT can handle 128 PB. This is 128 000 000 GB.
FAT32 can handle 8TB, but windows does not let you format bigger than 32GB with FAT32. It will still happily read and write volumes of larger size though. You just need to use a 3rd party tool to format it, not the Windows built in tool.

So no limits whatsoever on exFAT.

Either way in the case of Hyundai updater, it does all the imaging for you. You just give it a USB stick and it writes the image to it.
Whether it is 32 GB or 512 GB doesn't matter. It will write the image to it with the size of the image and that's it.
OK, well when the updater formatted my ScanDisk 64GB USB 3.0 it became a 32GB exFAT USB which only shows 4.9GB of free space left?? Obviously, the Updater is using Windows Format (on a windows machine) so same result unless you are a techie and have the skills to format it using a 3rd party tool and get the updater to ignore the formatting stage - either way a PITA

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
OK, well when the updater formatted my ScanDisk 64GB USB 3.0 it became a 32GB exFAT USB which only shows 4.9GB of free space left?? Obviously, the Updater is using Windows Format (on a windows machine) so same result unless you are a techie and have the skills to format it using a 3rd party tool and get the updater to ignore the formatting stage - either way a PITA
The updater is not using Windows Format, it is clearing the whole drive and writing an image. Because the image has a partition of 32 gb (the minimum size of the update media), then any media will "show" 32 gb, and if you use anything smaller it will fail.
Regardless of what you put in there, it will write the same image on it. This is the only proper way to do it as well, so they did everything 100% correctly here.

Same like writing e.g. a 30 minute image on a 74 minute CD, 80 minute CD, 90 minute CD or 99 minute CD will always result in 30 minutes of data on it.

Why exactly do you care about that? After you are done updating, just format the USB again, select exFAT and it will format it to the correct size. You don't need the files anymore after it's been updated regardless.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not sure if I'm missing something here but on the I5 why do we have to update the software manually via a download to USB? I know there is a software update screen on the MMI but it's greyed out on my car...is that the reason for the manual update and Hyundai haven't pushed the OTA update yet?

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
It's only for the navigation anyway. Forget Tesla level controller flashing in the field.
Various German luxury brands have allowed you to update the infotainment by yourself by just buying a CD (and later files onto SD card) since 2003, good that Hyundai has caught up 18 years later :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I will not get tired of this:

OTA is still advertised for the GEN5W Models... The Self Updater is just a logical preperation for it! Hyundai is going a very conservative way of software development. So we can only wait

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
It's just the navigation though. Tesla can flash all the controllers in the car OTA.
Considering the amount of controllers in the car, compared to a Tesla a Hyundai will have about 3% of the update capability ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's just the navigation though. Tesla can flash all the controllers in the car OTA.
Considering the amount of controllers in the car, compared to a Tesla a Hyundai will have about 3% of the update capability ;)
True, at the moment... I have not given up the hope, that hyundai will also be able to update the controllers via infotainment updates at a certain point... there should be a software solution to this

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
True, at the moment... I have not given up the hope, that hyundai will also be able to update the controllers via infotainment updates at a certain point... there should be a software solution to this
Yes and no. The software gets updated via PTCAN or PT Flexray. The Navigation is possibly not even directly connected to that, it goes through the gateway.
Also, the bootloaders have to be very robust and probably a good idea to have double the storage in each controller, to be able to reboot back into the previous ASW and CAL in case the update fails. A very smart watchdog is needed as well, that counts the resets of the controller and reboots to the old software version if the reset count over a certain time period is too high or at least back into the bootloader.
Another thing to solve is the cross controller integration. In cases of some features you need to update multiple controllers, so that is something to solve as well.

Really not that simple. Hence why almost no one does it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts