Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 IONIQ PHEV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just purchased a Silver 2020 IONIQ PHEV in Portland, Oregon, then drove across the state to my home in far northeastern Oregon. Really love the lane centering around all the curves. Great little car.

·
Registered
2020 IONIQ PHEV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, thought I was posting to the Introduction Forum. But, since I've started a thread, I'll ask my question.

I bought this car to make a 20 mile round trip commute between home and the nearest town. Having just discovered that no electric heater is available to pre-heat the car while it is still plugged in at home, I'm now worried I bought the wrong car: it is very cold here for many months. If I could pre-heat the cabin, I likely wouldn't need the ICE much. But having to use the ICE to pre-heat the cabin defeats the whole purpose of buying the car.

Are there any after market electric heaters that could be added to pre-heat the cabin while it is still plugged in? Or do I have to resort to buying a space heater?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Not sure if they make them in 120VAC plug-in units or not, but if they do a PTC type would be safest. PTC means positive temperature coefficient: The hotter the element gets the less current it draws, so it will never reach ignition temperatures and start a fire if it tips over or its airflow gets blocked. It's the type of heating element they use in heated seats and EV heater cores.

As to the Ioniq burning gas for heat: The engine only runs at high idle (1350 rpm) while disconnected from the drivetrain, generating 2 to 2.5 kW of electricity through the hybrid starter generator while it does so. Your main drive is still electric, so fuel burn is just 1.5 liters (0.4 US gallons) per hour. Once the engine is up to heating temperature it shuts off until cool again, so its not even running all the time and the fuel burn is even less. It's not as bad as you fear, especially on a 20 mile commute like yours which is long enough for the engine to get up to temp and shut down in the first quarter of the trip. The colder it is outside though the more often it will start up again, so February is different than October for fuel use.

My friend has a Honda Clarity PHEV with electric heat, and says that his electric range drops quite a bit in winter. My Ioniq PHEV's EV range doesn't suffer at all, as the electricity generated by the engine as it idles for heat offsets the effects of the cold on the battery. The battery also warms up faster than in many EVs (recovering its efficiency) because the Ioniq's unique air cooled battery gets its air from the cabin, so warm stale cabin air is flowing through it as fresh air comes in up front.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
2020 IONIQ PHEV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As to the Ioniq burning gas for heat: The engine only runs at high idle (1350 rpm) while disconnected from the drivetrain, generating 2 to 2.5 kW of electricity through the hybrid starter generator while it does so. Your main drive is still electric, so fuel burn is just 1.5 liters (0.4 US gallons) per hour.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Given the limited battery capacity, the IONIQ PHEV using gasoline to heat the cabin makes sense when not connected to the grid. But Hyundai's neglecting to include a electric heat source to pre-heat the cabin while connected to the grid is a design flaw. Huge amounts of fossil fuel are wasted by people idling their cars to heat the cabin and clear their windshields before their daily commute (see, for example - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hat-you-need-to-idle-your-car-before-driving/).

I'm hoping there is an elegant solution to this design flaw. I like the idea of adding an after-market PTC heater, but wonder if such a product is widely known among PHEV owners? I also wonder if there is a 110vac connection inside the IONIQ to which such an after-market heater could be connected while the car is plugged into the grid?

I can always implement the inelegant solution of running an extension cord and using a space heater, but - really - I was hoping for more.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq PHEV
47 Posts
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Given the limited battery capacity, the IONIQ PHEV using gasoline to heat the cabin makes sense when not connected to the grid. But Hyundai's neglecting to include a electric heat source to pre-heat the cabin while connected to the grid is a design flaw. Huge amounts of fossil fuel are wasted by people idling their cars to heat the cabin and clear their windshields before their daily commute (see, for example - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hat-you-need-to-idle-your-car-before-driving/).

I'm hoping there is an elegant solution to this design flaw. I like the idea of adding an after-market PTC heater, but wonder if such a product is widely known among PHEV owners? I also wonder if there is a 110vac connection inside the IONIQ to which such an after-market heater could be connected while the car is plugged into the grid?

I can always implement the inelegant solution of running an extension cord and using a space heater, but - really - I was hoping for more.
You cannot run AC when plugged in to pre cool either. Someone mentioned because of the limited battery it would draw too much power though the charge cable. Either way preheat doesn't use much gas. You are not heating engine coolant as in an ICE. There is a heat exchanger on the exhaust and also heat taken from the inverter coolant system.

·
Registered
777 Posts
What would be nice to have is a heated front windshield so it would start to clear the moment you hit the button. My friend's Land Rover has this and it's amazing.

I never thought about having at least some PTC capacity in the HVAC system for plugged in pre-heating, that would be good. I have a garage so it's never really occurred to me. With Level 1 charging in North America only delivering 1440W there's not enough capacity, but the car knows Level 1 from Level 2 and if it could at least do it on Level 2 it would be nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts