Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, potential new owner of used (2018) Ioniq Premium SE Plug in Hybrid
Been loitering the forums for a few days looking at various posts to try & help me decide.
Seen one at a local dealer, I need to book a test drive but its the colour I like & has low mileage (1 owner).
I have a few questions before committing.
Is the road noise bad, the reviews suggest it is but here some owners mention it but others say no worse than normal. I can take a test drive I think but not sure if able to take it on motorway etc?
My Peugeot 308 (2014) 1.2 Puretech was lovely & quiet at all speeds and aside from some wind noise at legal limits very smooth & not much road noise at all.
How is the foot mounted handbrake work in real world use, easy for wife etc?
Does this model have ambient lighting at all?

Probably have some more questions as well once I think of them:rolleyes:

Thanks
Lee

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
Personally I think the road noise is no worse than other cars , maybe a little better . This is based on owning 2 Hybrids which , I assume , would be about the same as the PHEV in that respect . I got used to foot operated hand brake after about 3 or 4 drives and is easy to operate . There's no ambient lighting as such apart from a blue strip ( which doesn't offer much light ) on the 2020 models on , not sure about prior years

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I think the road noise is no worse than other cars , maybe a little better . This is based on owning 2 Hybrids which , I assume , would be about the same as the PHEV in that respect . I got used to foot operated hand brake after about 3 or 4 drives and is easy to operate . There's no ambient lighting as such apart from a blue strip ( which doesn't offer much light ) on the 2020 models on , not sure about prior years
thanks for that, good to hear re road noise

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just thought of another question, are the Premium SE wheels the same since 2017 or do they use different styles over the years? Also what size, are they 16" alloys?

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
Just thought of another question, are the Premium SE wheels the same since 2017 or do they use different styles over the years? Also what size, are they 16" alloys?
I think the premium SE wheels are 16"
Best thing for you is to take as long a test drive in as many scenarios as you can . My dealership is close to the motorway and it was no problem using it . In fact he was surprised when I didn't when I bought my 2020 . I had to explain I'd driven one for 3 years :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery life after 3 years, would 30 miles on full charge still be feasible? Also does the battery have a warranty separate from the car or is it combined?

·
Registered
2020 PHEV Phantom Black Preferred
51 Posts
Here in Canada we have 8 years for the battery...
Can't tell about the degradation... only 5 months on my new 2020 PHEV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I own one Ioniq PHEV which is 3 years old with 25000km. No problems with battery. I usually manage to do 55-60 km with full battery. But it is heavily dependable on driving style (highway vs local roads, speed, usage of AC etc.). For example, when on the highway, cruising at 90-95 km/h I manage to do 50km.

There are few minues from my side when it comes to PHEV:
During the winter, when charging the battery you can not preheat the car. It just charges the battery.
When you are running AC to heat the car ICE is running. It means that you are using petrol for this.
At the same time AC is also consuming battery power. You can calculate with 2-4 km less when AC is on.
EV mode is automatically switched to HEV when battery level comes to 15%. With battery size of 8.9kW it is actually quite a lot. Below 15% car is deciding on his own when it will drive in EV or HEV mode (bellow 30 km/h is always EV).
No possibility to fast charge - 3.6kW is maximum that car allows.

·
Registered
2020 PHEV Phantom Black Preferred
51 Posts
I get 100% full charge within 2h30 from minimum (~14-15%) with level 2 charger at home.

EV range is also extended when car is heating with ICE in winter... like 60-70km

With warmer days, i see a decrease much more close to the specs! :p

But i fuel only more than a month... instead of each week in my previous Nissan Versa Note... :p

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ionic is a wonderful car. My brother owns one for 2 years already. From our experience, your battery should not be an issue as of now. 2-3 years old batteries are usually fine unless the car has been in an accident and the batteries have been damaged and the owner has not replaced them. When we were buying my brother's car, we dodged a bullet with one model that looked all nice and new until we checked its history and found that had been in an accident with its batteries damaged. Can't remember the name of the website we used for the background check, but there are plenty of them online nowadays. Just google vin check or license plate lookup and choose one. Here's one I found googling for your convenience License Plate Lookup - Free Plate Owner Search - AutoDetective .

Assuming everything is alright with the batteries, it will take you a couple more years before it becomes degraded enough to change.

About the road noise. It is not as bad as people say. I have driven it many times, both on the highway and in the city, and no complaints.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the replies, great response to new potential owner. I am now in the process of arranging a test drive. The car I am looking at is a 2018 model with only 15k miles so I assume has 2 years of original warranty remaining?

·
Registered
2018 Ioniq PHEV Exclusive
12 Posts
Yes, it should be like that, but it depends on country.
I also bought used 2018 like you, with 27 000km which is almost the same and I received 3 years xar warranty plus 5 years to battery only.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks
Dealer has advised due to Covid that test drives are not available currently, I have arranged with them to view the vehicle outside so I can have a look though

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, potential new owner of used (2018) Ioniq Premium SE Plug in Hybrid
Been loitering the forums for a few days looking at various posts to try & help me decide.
Seen one at a local dealer, I need to book a test drive but its the colour I like & has low mileage (1 owner).
I have a few questions before committing.
Is the road noise bad, the reviews suggest it is but here some owners mention it but others say no worse than normal. I can take a test drive I think but not sure if able to take it on motorway etc?
My Peugeot 308 (2014) 1.2 Puretech was lovely & quiet at all speeds and aside from some wind noise at legal limits very smooth & not much road noise at all.
Does this model have ambient lighting at all?

Probably have some more questions as well once I think of them:rolleyes:

Thanks
Lee
Have you looked at Prius Primes? These cars are not the best in my opinion. I love my 2019 EV when it works properly but there are reliability and charging issues, and I'm missing my car that was 3 years older and with 20k more miles, that never gave me any issues. .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well had a viewing of the car we liked the look of at the garage, top spec 2018 model Premium SE. First thought was not good, dealer has not bothered to clean the car at all, there is lots of pollen and birds muck on it. Trouble is that sets the tone going forward. Inside was similar, mud & dirt on back of seats and some on back seat squabs as well. Little to no electric power reserve available so only one start on electric, rest of the time engine kicked in. Lots of toys in this spec but due to the grubby interior and exterior it made the car look older and not looked after. 1 owner (Hyundai UK) according to the service/log book. Dealer thinks maybe used as company car by someone at headquarters... Anyway both myself & wife were not impressed, unable to take a test drive anyway to get a feel for it. btw the Marine blue was nice in the flesh but due to the overall condition didnt leave a buy me now impression. Bit disappointed if I am honest, now undecided

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,026 Posts
The only time I really notice the car's sounds is when the engine is idling for heat. It uses gasoline direct injection at much higher fuel rail pressures than traditional multi-port injection and so sounds a bit like a diesel, plus it uses a high idle speed of 1350 rpm since that uses the fuel most efficiently as it puts charge back into the battery through the Hybrid Starter Generator. This only happens in cold weather, and even then only in short runs of a few minutes at a time to keep the coolant warm enough to make cabin heat. It seems loud when you're at a red light or a stop sign, but once the car's moving above 10 km/h you don't really notice it anymore. I've gotten used to it, but it was a bit weird at first, especially when pulling away from a stop and the car is running in EV mode. It's gaining speed but the engine noise stays the same until the road noise takes over. :)

The foot brake is easy, push to set, push again to release. I only use it if parked on a slope, to keep the load off of the parking pin in the transmission.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts