Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this a feature I have turned on in the settings, or it's just on by default.

When I approach the car, carrying the fob, and the mirrors move as a welcoming "gesture", I can unlock my Ioniq by pressing the door handle button. Fine, but no bright lights come on, except two yellow blinks on all four corners and on the mirrors, plus a white downwards spotlight or "entrance light" from below the mirrors. Just what I need. Exactly what I need and no more.

But when I press the fob unlock button (remotely), both headlights and rear (red) lights comes on. Because I'm approaching my Ioniq and it "wishes" to help lead the way for me. But when I'm already close, at the side of the car, I probably won't need such lights, so why waste?

Gosh. Is the car really intelligent, or what? Such details make me think and admire the thoughts behind. At least the designers and programmers have thought of nearly everything. Cool!

I'm a programmer myself. Not all programs, apps, interfaces, impress me, far from. Most often the contrary. But I know it's incredibly hard to get all such things just right, and sense, say, take it into account, all the different contexts and situations.

One must love this car. Must.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you approach the car the mirrors should fold out and you should get the lights under the mirrors (puddle lights) and the little LED's in the door handles as well
Correct. I don't even have to press the (un)lock button on the handle to get this "puddle" spotlight. I was focusing on the "welcome lights", front and rear.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That would be incredibly cool to have the mirrors fold in when off then out when approached, but the US cars don't do that. I do enjoy the welcome song I get though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That would be incredibly cool to have the mirrors fold in when off then out when approached, but the US cars don't do that. I do enjoy the welcome song I get though.
Mine does that, Canada but I imagine that same as the US model. You need to leave the mirror selector in the neutral position for it to work, but maybe it is a package option and not all models have it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine does that, Canada but I imagine that same as the US model. You need to leave the mirror selector in the neutral position for it to work, but maybe it is a package option and not all models have it.
Which model do you have? I have 2018 PHEV limited (highest trim) and it doesn't open mirrors upon my arrival.

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
Which model do you have? I have 2018 PHEV limited (highest trim) and it doesn't open mirrors upon my arrival.
its one of those pesky market specific feature, we have it in the UK, but US / Canada don't have it I believe

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,131 Posts
I still haven't found a good explanation for why they have market specific features like that on a global car. It would seem so much easier to manufacture them all the same. I get that there are regulatory differences so some features might not be able to be in every market but there's no regulations in the US against automatic folding mirrors or puddle lamps.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
They look at market differences v. cost. Not cost, per se.

As the car is a mass-market model whether it has `this` feature or `that` add-on affects the unit cost very little, but having it on a car where competitors in the field don't is seen as a waste of money - and that affects dealer and manufacturer profit margin. It also varies the model differences in way at that reduces distinction and that can have a knock-on effect further up or down the price point.

Reactions: IsntItIoniq

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,131 Posts
Interesting. I'd see a feature that the competitors don't have as an advantage, not a waste of money. I'm sure their market research team know what they're doing though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the BEV Limited, 2017. If you leave the selector switch for the mirrors in the center position doesn't do it? Maybe there is a setting that you have to turn on in the options can't remember what it is called, lights and something...?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have the BEV Limited, 2017. If you leave the selector switch for the mirrors in the center position doesn't do it? Maybe there is a setting that you have to turn on in the options can't remember what it is called, lights and something...?
On mine you have to leave the mirror switch to Left or Right for it to work. Centre they don't.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It seems the North American Electric has features that the PHEV doesn't have

I live in Canada and as soon as I read this I went and checked my PHEV and there is no setting for it under Lights... I even tried leaving it in Left then Right which someone suggested and that didn't work either.

It seems the Electric has features that the PHEV doesn't have including the Speed Limiter (Electric has the Speed Limiter but the PHEV doesn't at least in Canada).

·
Registered
207 Posts
I reset my EV by disconnecting 12V battery. When reconnected battery, I noticed - no "welcome light" in the front door handles, no paddle light on the mirrors. The convenience feature "Welcome Light" on/off had no effect on the car. After messing around with the car, I finally found the cause: I disabled auto folding and enabled auto tilting features (not default), so after reset - it got all confused with welcome lights settings.

To get welcome lights working again, just return all mirror switches to default position (middle position) and lock/unlock the car. Now both lights are working correctly and you can configure mirror switches back to your settings and welcome light would continue to operate normally.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Decadent self folding mirrors. Too bad mine is the plebeian version with no option.
You can always bend them in by hand.
The old-fashioned way!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts