Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this? For example, is it possible to install dynamat or similar sound deadening mats to the outer wheel wells to decrease road noise?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Has anyone tried this? For example, is it possible to install dynamat or similar sound deadening mats to the outer wheel wells to decrease road noise?
I found that bottom of the compartment where, if you had it a space save spare would fit, was a source of noise and I sprayed it with a rubberized undercoating and that cut noise from that area. There would be no reason why you could not install a material like dynamat to the wheel wells. The wells would need to be cleaned for the the mats to have good adhesion. I considered doing that but it seemed like to much trouble, especially when one does not know how much deadening will result.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,026 Posts
If going the dynamat route, I would pop the panels and do it from the inside. Doing it on the outside could trap water underneath and cause corrosion of the wheel wells.

·
Registered
766 Posts
If going the dynamat route, I would pop the panels and do it from the inside. Doing it on the outside could trap water underneath and cause corrosion of the wheel wells.
The wheel arch panels are plastic so there would not be any issue with rust, but putting the sound deadener on the inside of the panel would keep a lot of mud and dirt off of them and they may hold up better.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq premium -19, 28kWh
37 Posts
If you're putting it on the plastic skins some sound absorbant material would be better that deadening I belive. Deadening primarily removes vibration on the sheet metal.

I did a fair job on my last car, an i30, the boot, rear inner wheel wells and doors did the most difference with dampening and the roof with absorption(4cm foam sheet). In the Ioniq I have put some leftover silent coat mats in strips in the doors, boot and under the rear seat that has helped a bit. I think some absorption in the roof would do good and maybe a little dampening on the floor.

On a older merc c180 I owned there was some synthetic mat on the inside wheel wells and that was one quiet ride, then again, mercs usually are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts