Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Posted this in the Service and Maintenance forum and it was suggested to post here as well to get some visibility. Here is the link to the post with all the nitty gritty details included: Infotainment issue on 2018 PHEV

In short, the infotainment unit has no signs of life and the front usb port and wireless charger do not work. This occurred after getting an error message on the screen about not being able to boot. I have a 2018 Canadian PHEV Limited model. The multimedia system is no longer in warranty, so I'd like to troubleshoot as much as possible before going to the dealer.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,267 Posts
Is the multimedia system not under the 5 year warranty in Canada ? If there's no display you have no access to Nav and other functions critical to the car's operation . I would double check with Hyundai Canada about the situation .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Can you go to the system info menu and write which software version you have.,
No, I cannot. The display is completely blank.

You mentioned in my other post about the software updater. I did find the same site: Official Hyundai Motors Navigation Update Website

I downloaded the update and wrote it to a brand new SD card. I popped it in the slot, but still can't get anything. I'm going to try unplugging the battery again today for a longer period of time to see if I can get some life out of that.

You're the member that shared the keyboard trick, right? I found your post and tried that too, but there is no power to the front USB port. I've got my multimeter in the car now and will test all the fuses to see if there is a crapped out one for the USB slot. I can't find documentation for the Ioniq that says which fuse is for the USB ports.

So that's where I'm at right now. It's a saga for sure! If you have any other suggestions, I'm willing to give almost anything a go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the multimedia system not under the 5 year warranty in Canada ? If there's no display you have no access to Nav and other functions critical to the car's operation . I would double check with Hyundai Canada about the situation .
I triple checked and the media system is 3 years/60k. I drive a lot, so I'm at 80k in about 2.5 years.

If I can't figure it out on my own, I will definitely push the issue with Hyundai because you're right, I have no nav (although let's be real, I use carplay anyway) and I have no rear camera image. My experiences with Hyundai have been overwhelmingly negative so I'm avoiding that route as much as I can.

·
Super Moderator
2,267 Posts
I would get it touch with Hyundai directly in any case ( not the dealer ) . No radio is one thing but no reversing camera is a definite driveability issue and should come under 5 year warranty , in my opinion anyway.
Hopefully Hyundai will agree ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
No, I cannot. The display is completely blank.

You mentioned in my other post about the software updater. I did find the same site: Official Hyundai Motors Navigation Update Website

I downloaded the update and wrote it to a brand new SD card. I popped it in the slot, but still can't get anything. I'm going to try unplugging the battery again today for a longer period of time to see if I can get some life out of that.

You're the member that shared the keyboard trick, right? I found your post and tried that too, but there is no power to the front USB port. I've got my multimeter in the car now and will test all the fuses to see if there is a crapped out one for the USB slot. I can't find documentation for the Ioniq that says which fuse is for the USB ports.

So that's where I'm at right now. It's a saga for sure! If you have any other suggestions, I'm willing to give almost anything a go.
Here is the fuse box diagrams mate

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@SonicSpinner This is brilliant! Thank you! When I get some time to troubleshoot further, this will help a ton.

@chunga68 I actually hadn't considered calling Hyundai Canada, so if all troubleshooting proves fruitless, that'll be my next step. Appreciate the idea!

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
492 Posts
This question, and your comments have made me do some research of my own.

Here in the UK, with the exception of parts that do wear with use, brakes, ball joints, tyres etc (there is an easily accessible list on the HUK website) for non commercial users the whole car warranty is 5 years/Unlimited mileage, commercial users (taxi drivers/couriers etc) are limited to 100,000 miles. The list of exceptions does not mention anything to do with the audio. Indeed, the only section to mention this system is the Map Care programme where we get lifetime (minimum 10 years) of free map updates.

I also checked the Hyundai Canada website and found the warranty pages there. Your triple checking is correct, for some unknown reason your audio system is limited to 3 years/60,000Km - and one has to ask why?

Why does a system with no moving parts have an inferior warranty to some of the rest of the car, especially when that system is the main interface between the driver and the cars’s other systems?

I think that call to Hyundai Canada might be quite interesting! What are they so afraid of?

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
7 Posts
FYI...
I have a very similar situation with my system, exactly the same problem code as @ifthisthenthat . Less than 3 years, 75000km, 2018 PHEV too. So out of the 3yr/60000km warranty.
I did call Hyundai Canada after visiting 2 dealers. The only thing the rep did is call back the dealer to verify steps taken to escalate issue. No contact whatsoever to head office engineers at all.

At this point, I would guess there are more angry customers having similar issues somewhere out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts