Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Hoping to solicit some tips and help for my 2018 Canadian PHEV Limited. The infotainment unit is dead and I just can't find much info on how it connects and what I can do to to further troubleshoot. While my main warranty is still valid, the multimedia system is no longer under warranty due to mileage, so I'd like to avoid heading to the dealer (I've also had some really poor experiences with Hyundai dealers, so I'd like to do as much as possible on my own).

I'll break down the symptoms in phases, because that's how it happened:

Phase 0 - Since I got the car 2.5 years ago

I've intermittently had issues with the system freezing and restarting itself. Not a huge deal, it IS a computer after all with its own OS. Last few weeks it seemed that the system took much longer than usual to start up: the Hyundai logo stayed on the screen for a longer amount of time than I was used to.

Phase 1 - yesterday morning

Turned on my car as usual, Hyundai logo appeared on the screen but had a garbled line through it. Stayed that way for some time and then the screen went black. I put it into reverse and the rear camera image came up on the display as normal. I tried turning the car off and on and each time I got a black screen with a message "ERROR: Cannot read boot image header - Please Enter Any Key goto FASTBOOT_MODE". I had to drive and had no time for further troubleshooting, so I left it. That error message stayed on the screen the hour I was in the car. My phone was charging through the cable plugged into the front USB port as normal and the wireless charger was fine. Rear camera worked every time I tried it. Radio worked fine and I was able to change stations using the physical SEEK key and tuning knob.

Phase 2 - yesterday evening

Before heading home, I checked the multimedia fuse. Looked fine, but swapped it with a spare anyway. When I turned the car on, the screen was completely black with no error message. There was no rear camera image when backing up. My phone was no longer charging through the USB port but I was able to charge it with the wireless charger. Radio no longer worked.

Phase 3 - today

Same symptoms as yesterday: black screen, no rear view camera image, front USB port not working, and now wireless charging pad does not work. When I spin the tuning knob, I can see the radio station change on the instrument panel, but there is no sound.

What I've done:
  • Charged the PHEV battery.
  • Reset multimedia system by pressing and holding the power knob for 10 seconds.
  • Reset multimedia system by pressing the small, depressed reset button.
  • Pressed and held the small, depressed reset button.
  • Did the above three resets with the SD card in and also out.
  • Disconnected the 12V battery for 5 or so minutes.
  • Checked the voltage of the 12V battery - normal.
I'm out of ideas and I can't find a heck of a lot online about the electronics of the infotainment system. I'd really like to try disconnecting the main power from it as a troubleshooting step, but have no idea how it's connected. I'm also suspicious about fuses as both the USB port and the charging pad no longer work.

Sorry for the wall of text, I just want to make sure I have presented all of the symptoms and I hate when I get asked for help with a mere "it doesn't work HELP!".

Any thoughts? Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
492 Posts
Have you had the firmware updated? I had been having an issue where my screen would go blank, but immediately restart, when I'd been driving for several hours. When my car was serviced recently it had the latest firmware and Nav data installed. It changed everything!!! but I haven't had the system cut out since. Here in the UK this service is FOC at a main dealer and is usually done at a scheduled service, though for those who don't see a dealer from one year to the next as they do less than 10K miles a year, this can be done inbetween times. My car will have 7 services across 2 years, so not an issue for me as I'm never more than a few weeks from a scheduled visit anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you had the firmware updated?
The car has been at the dealer exactly once since I got it: for my first oil change. They put in the wrong oil and treated me like an idiot when I asked about it. They did do some sort of update at that time as the electric range changed from 29 to 47 km (it was originally in miles... a known issue back then). I've been doing regular servicing at another shop since then, but they aren't equipped to help with something like this.

Looks like firmware is updated through the SD card. I'll see if I can find a firmware update on my own and play around with that. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
492 Posts
There are several very active contributors from Canada, who may be able to help you. May I suggest you post in the main EV section, that way they are guaranteed to see your post and step in with advise specific to the models and processes of your country. I only saw this by scanning the front page because the layout changed yesterday.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are several very active contributors from Canada, who may be able to help you. May I suggest you post in the main EV section, that way they are guaranteed to see your post and step in with advise specific to the models and processes of your country. I only saw this by scanning the front page because the layout changed yesterday.
Ah, I had no idea the layout changed so recently! The forum definitely looks very different than from what I remembered. I'll create a new post and link to this one. Thanks!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ah, I had no idea the layout changed so recently! The forum definitely looks very different than from what I remembered. I'll create a new post and link to this one. Thanks!
You are actually lucky that you have a canadian version. as CA and USA and korea have the option to download the latest firmware themselves and update it. from SD card.
however i have some other option for you can try. just tag me in the new post you make.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are actually lucky that you have a canadian version. as CA and USA and korea have the option to download the latest firmware themselves and update it. from SD card.
however i have some other option for you can try. just tag me in the new post you make.
Any other solutions? My car is having this problem. I found what was some kind of update from Hyundai, downloaded it all day, put it on the SD card, started my car, nothing. Reset. Nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine just crash with same error message. 2018 plugin. Dealer is to bill 4000$ for a new head unit or 1000$ for a refurbed one.
I don't know but the unit does power on, its just theres no operating system on it?
I tried to plug a usb keyboard to press the enter key for further options, no go. Is there another port on the back I could use?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine just crash with same error message. 2018 plugin. Dealer is to bill 4000$ for a new head unit or 1000$ for a refurbed one.
I don't know but the unit does power on, its just theres no operating system on it?
I tried to plug a usb keyboard to press the enter key for further options, no go. Is there another port on the back I could use?
Whoa! Same exact problem and symptoms! Also same bs offer from dealer!

I just logged in to make a new post about my new non-OEM head unit, but I may as well update my saga here:

I had the same thought that you did. I took the head unit out (easier than it looks), took the whole bloody thing apart and put it back together several times. There is no other access point on the thing. Every PCB and component internally looked totally fine. There just isn't another way to connect the stupid thing.

I troubleshot all I could and ended up taking it to the dealer. They wanted to charge me for diagnostics, but after some argument as the car is still under warranty (even if the head unit is not), they agreed to diagnose for free. They explained the cost to replace would be about $1200. They didn't say it would be a refurbed unit, but that price makes sense based on what you're telling me. I found that a brand new one is about $3300 not including labour. I fought with corporate Hyundai Canada for weeks to get them to at least partially cover the repair as the car was not even 3 years old and still under warranty (I didn't know the 60k limit on infotainment until the head unit crapped out). They said no. I said I will never buy a Hyundai again. I really have had nothing but poor experiences with the company (even if the car is ok).

So I started researching. I wouldn't spend $4000 even if I had it to repair a glorified radio. I used a mounted iPhone and airpods in the meantime. Finding a third-party head unit for this car proved to be quite the challenge. Crutchfield doesn't have anything for the Ioniq and finding a used head unit from a totalled Ioniq turned up nothing. I finally turned to AliExpress and found some sellers that had units for $400-$500 and it included the frame for the Ioniq. I ended up biting the bullet and buying one for $460 and it came today.

I've spent the better part of the day trying to get it working. It powers on (at least I know the issue was with the original head unit and not anything else), it can tune to radio, the included CarPlay dongle works, I can browse YouTube (new one for me), the steering wheel buttons work, rear camera works, but I have no audio. I've reached out to the seller for further help. I've had a really hard time finding a wiring diagram for this particular model, so I'm kind of stuck now.

I'm sorry you're going through the same thing. There's a part of me that hopes that maybe if there are more of us with the exact same issue they may do a recall. I'll be posting to see if I can get any ideas about getting audio working with this new head unit and will update if I do, so it might be an option for you if I can get it working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried to plug a usb keyboard to press the enter key for further options, no go. Is there another port on the back I could use? View attachment 33724
Ditto. Happened out of nowhere. I used my car last night, was totally fine. . This morning screen dead. the reverse camera worked so that is good but not sure what's coming next.
This must be under warranty right? as Hyundai has a 5 year warranty?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I fought with corporate Hyundai Canada for weeks to get them to at least partially cover the repair as the car was not even 3 years old and still under warranty (I didn't know the 60k limit on infotainment until the head unit crapped out).
Are you saying that below 60k km they will replace it for no cost?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you saying that below 60k km they will replace it for no cost?
In Canada, the head unit is only covered for 3 years or 60,0000km, whichever comes first. If your car is under those parameters, the dealer will repair/replace under warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts