Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local Hyundai dealership last night to check out and test drive a Hyundai Tucson (ironic because I live in the outskirts of Tucson, AZ) because we will be in the market for 2 cars; one within a few weeks and another in a few months which will probably end up being the Tucson and the Ioniq of course!

I thought it was a shot in the dark because the dealership is in a city known for a population of mostly senior citizens and the salesman that helped us looked like he was 70-80 years old but what the heck, I asked him if he knew anything about the Ioniq. To my surprise, he said he not only heard of it, but they received some training on it, received a brochure (which he gave to me!) and they even recently installed a charging station at the dealership! He wasn't 100% sure but he said he thought it was free to use.

It appears that many of the Hyundai dealerships might start installing charging stations on site, similar to what Nissan does with the LEAF. That's great news for the PHEV and EV folks in the US soon! The charger doesn't even show up on PlugShare yet.

Unfortunately, the employees were saying that they don't believe they'll receive any Ioniqs anytime soon. Others on the forum have mentioned an April 1st timeframe but the dealership didn't seem to believe that was accurate. They said the Hybrids will definitely arrive first, the EVs arrive later which seems to contradict Hyundai USA's web site that they'll arrive at approximately the same time "this Winter". They don't know pricing yet (but the salesman said he'd do his best to find out for me and research) and they said the cars "just show up" unexpectedly. They confirmed they can't custom order any Hyundai's as others have mentioned. This is very frustrating for us eagerly anticipating getting our hands on an Ioniq!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, sir. I have created a PDF of the brochure by taking pictures of each page and cropping to the best of my ability. Very high end professional like (I kid, I kid). However, I cannot post links in the forum as I am a newbie and haven't posted much yet! I would be glad to share this with everyone if I did not have this restriction.

·
Registered
251 Posts
bluecar1, is there a way others on this site can get hold of this PDF brochure that DaveAZ was kind enough to create?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had forgot to mention another nugget of info that I was really happy about. My dealer said that all newly sold Hyundai vehicles come with a complimentary lifetime maintenance plan. He said they will do the oil change and rotate the tires, do the usual inspection of brakes, fluids, etc. and something else...maybe air filters, I don't recall the last one. He said as long as you (I) have the car, it's covered forever. So I guess that implies that it does not transfer to a 2nd owner if I decide to sell the car someday.

That definitely makes me consider the Hybrid Ioniq even more vs. the EV because a benefit to the EV I was considering is no oil changes/reduced maintenance costs. Now, it appears that's not a worry on the Hybrid either!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've managed to find PDF manuals for the uk but not the USA.

m.hyundaiusa.com/ioniq/

This page has a ton of info on it regarding spec and blue link. Hope we get that here in the uk.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to find more info about the maintenance program but couldn't find anything regarding Hyundai specifically. It turns out, this is a dealer specific thing. Apparently all "Jim Click" dealerships (Hyundai or not) offer this program. Lucky me to be where I am then I guess. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
the spec is lower than UK

as you say no mention of LKAS at all, but all the smart cruise, LDW and AEB which is standard across the range over here is optional tech packs

HID headlights, 8" satnav, wireless charging, infinity 8 speaker audio are on mid range up in UK, US only on top of range

I would be disappointed comparing that to UK/EU specs but it all depends on the price and how much the tech and ultimate packs add to the prices

and you only get 5 colours :(

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
as I said, all depends on the prices of both the trim levels and the tech / ultimate packs

have the base models been priced low to get interest and the tech / ultimate pack bring it up to a reasonable cost?

bearing in mind Hyundai in the UK / EU has priced the Ioniq 2-3k below the price of the Prius

the US product is so different to the "fully loaded" models in the UK / EU, i'm not sure if this is normal for how cars are marketed in the US compared to UK / EU

it will be interesting to find out the US prices and how they compare to other markets

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@bluecar1 yes, unfortunately, this is how the U.S market has been lately. Toyota is doing something similar with "safety sense technology" where it is standard but doesn't include everything. You have to get higher trim levels or add on packages to get the rest.

If you look at data for the rest of Hyundai's lineup, they are doing the same thing as the Ioniq. They will tease a few safety features standard but will charge for additional packages if you want them. Safety is not any manufacturer's first priority in the U.S. it seems. They consider stuff like BSM, LDW, LKAS and other features as "nice to haves" and sell them under the umbrella of "convenience" or "technology" packages rather than safety.

On the bright side, looking at UK pounds to US dollars, I do believe the US base will be much less expensive and may be on target or a little less expensive fully loaded vs. the UK version. But we will wait and see when they announce prices officially. That could actually be a good thing as it gives the buyer more choice on what features are important to them and their budget.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts