Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD, cyber gray, gray interior
79 Posts
The article says that it takes 3 months to produce a chip and an additional month to assemble it, so I guess they discovered the defect half way through that process.

·
Registered
38 Posts
"Chip supply disruptions will unlikely be resolved before mid-October and the wait time for IONIQ 5 buyers should be longer than one year."

Wow. Heartbreaking. And that will also put deliveries out beyond the USA federal tax credit sunset for Hyundai IO5's due to the new EV legislation. What a kick in the groin for us who are waiting for a Fall delivery :-(

If this is, in fact true, then I'm going to rethink getting the car. Maybe time for a "Plan B" now.

·
Registered
161 Posts
"Chip supply disruptions will unlikely be resolved before mid-October and the wait time for IONIQ 5 buyers should be longer than one year."

Wow. Heartbreaking. And that will also put deliveries out beyond the USA federal tax credit sunset for Hyundai IO5's due to the new EV legislation. What a kick in the groin for us who are waiting for a Fall delivery :-(

If this is, in fact true, then I'm going to rethink getting the car. Maybe time for a "Plan B" now.
Be aware that if you are counting on the $7.5K tax credit, then you MUST have signed a binding contract before the enactment of the new EV legislation.

Also be aware that most, if not all, dealers will not sign a binding contract with you until they have your specific VIN. Finally, the time between assignment of the VIN and delivery is typically not especially long.

So I'm guessing that if this legislation goes through soon, as written, most Fall deliveries of Ioniq 5s, and all 2023 deliveries will not qualify. This chip news may make it worse. :cry:

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 5 SE AWD, Cyber Gray
67 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
New member and first time poster here, I literally decided to place a booking deposit today. Talked to the dealer today and was going to transfer the cash tonight... now I'm not so sure.

I was going to make the same point here, I can't find any other news about it which is quite strange.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD, cyber gray, gray interior
79 Posts
Chip shortage has been a serious problem for quite a while now. Hyundai has been dealing with this quite well by buying from multiple sources (Infineon may be the largest but they only represent 13% of the total car chip market), stockpiling chips (see: Analysis: Hyundai bought chips when rivals didn't; its assembly lines are still rolling), and beginning to make their own chips to reduce reliance on others (see: Hyundai Motor plans to develop its own chips – TechCrunch).
I would wait to hear from Hyundai before panicking.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
On second reading of this passage I don't think it's as bad as I first thought. I think this is referring to overall chip supply shortages not being resolved in the industry for months to come. Wait times for the Ioniq 5 have also been 9-12 months in many markets already so this just sounds like either dramatic wording or something lost in translation.

I could obviously be wrong on the above quite easily.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think you're right about that. I also went back and re-read the article carefully and came to the same conclusion. And there have been chip shortages for a long time now. So far Hyundai has navigated through the issue and cars are still being delivered (granted demand far outstrips supply, still). The dealer I'm working with seems confident we will have our IO5 "by late summer or early fall at the latest." So I'm climbing back in from the ledge... for now anyway :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think you're right about that. I also went back and re-read the article carefully and came to the same conclusion. And there have been chip shortages for a long time now. So far Hyundai has navigated through the issue and cars are still being delivered (granted demand far outstrips supply, still). The dealer I'm working with seems confident we will have our IO5 "by late summer or early fall at the latest." So I'm climbing back in from the ledge... for now anyway :)
You and me both! Best of luck with your order.
I'm going to put the money down and settle in for hopefully a 5 month wait for delivery.🤞

·
Registered
'23 lucid blue limited on "order"
91 Posts
There is not enough information in the article to understand how this might impact our pending '23 "orders". I still think some number of '23 "orders" might be timely filled as promised, by this fall/winter (I guess TBD).

I am also thinking I'd better consider my Plan B. I had just about decided not to put down $500 for a Mach E GTPE (with MagneRide dampers) order this month thinking it might arrive too soon. I would like to spend at least a year with the Ioniq 5 if I can get one, possibly more, if I end up liking it a lot. I drove a Mach E first edition for a year and a half and enjoyed it quite a bit, never a serious problem. However, there are serious problems now, particularly with the GT and GTPE trims, hopefully they will be fixed soon before mine would be built.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not a single reference to this when I did a Google search. I call BS.
I can't speak to the veracity of the story, but I did look up The Korea Economic Daily. They are the second largest business newspaper in Korea, so I wouldn't expect fake news. The story does say "Exclusive", so perhaps they are just the first with the story and others will follow.

If you search google for the headline in Korean, there are multiple hits, though they all seem to be referring to the original article: 독일發 불량 반도체 '쇼크'…아이오닉5 생산 어쩌나

At the moment it's on the front page of both their Global and Korean editions, in the upper left:

Of course, I don't speak Hangul so I could be way off base.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I can't speak to the veracity of the story, but I did look up The Korea Economic Daily. They are the second largest business newspaper in Korea, so I wouldn't expect fake news. The story does say "Exclusive", so perhaps they are just the first with the story and others will follow.

If you search google for the headline in Korean, there are multiple hits, though they all seem to be referring to the original article: 독일發 불량 반도체 '쇼크'…아이오닉5 생산 어쩌나

At the moment it's on the front page of both their Global and Korean editions, in the upper left:

Of course, I don't speak Hangul so I could be way off base.
The Korean article says that they are looking into getting chips from ST Micro of Switzerland and also at same time, they are looking into developing chips in house as well as using planes to deliver the chips.

FYI, SK Hynix is spin off micro/memory chip company from Hyundai, Hyundai might still have sizable portion of the company so maybe they can spin up the auto chip manufacturing through them. Who knows.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am going to cry, here in Indonesia there are still a limited choice of EV (on my way for month 5 of waiting). My other options are a small chinese supermini (Wuling Air EV), or a Nissan Leaf (no battery cooling). Probably Toyota bz4x will come, but it has not been released yet here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts