1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant really understand how good the electric engine is

hybrid car:
1 L gas cost about 10 Dkr.
I can see people driving the hybrid version run 20-25 km/L.. I do think this is a bit low. (I can run 20-22 km/L with my 1.2 3 cylinder gasoline engine)
Does the car use gasoline when it run in EV mode? If not then the car must use alot gasoline when engine kicks in.

Plugin car:
it has a 8kw battery -range 52 km..
1kw cost me 2,25Dkr.. so 1 charge is 18Dkr.

so the hybrid version will cost me ~20 dkr = 50 km
and the plugin will cost me ~18 dkr = 50 km

·
Registered
Marina Blue HEV Ltd IONIQ from 25 Jul '17
1,865 Posts
Well, if you're coming from a 1.2 L 3-cylinder, you're not going to notice much of a difference in economy for a Hybrid. But you should notice a major difference in performance.

A plugin, though, you should notice difference in fuel use at least, as long as you plug it in at night.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you are carefull, you can make at least 1:25. We are currently at 1:26. Total range is around 1100 km, so difference between gas vs electric is (1100/50)*~2 = 22 Dkr. Per tank as a minimum. Remember (even) the plugin will charge the battery when it is running, so your range should be significantly higher, making your "profit" (a bit) higher.

We did the math a while ago, we were unable to make enough of a profit on fuel costs to justify buying a plugin.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I cant really understand how good the electric engine is

hybrid car:
1 L gas cost about 10 Dkr.
I can see people driving the hybrid version run 20-25 km/L.. I do think this is a bit low. (I can run 20-22 km/L with my 1.2 3 cylinder gasoline engine)
Does the car use gasoline when it run in EV mode? If not then the car must use alot gasoline when engine kicks in.

Plugin car:
it has a 8kw battery -range 52 km..
1kw cost me 2,25Dkr.. so 1 charge is 18Dkr.

so the hybrid version will cost me ~20 dkr = 50 km
and the plugin will cost me ~18 dkr = 50 km
I don't think you need to charge all the 8 kWh total capacity after a normal drive, but I'v never actually measured it. I've driven 57 km 99% pure electric and still have almost 25% left. When the charge level reaches about 25% (end of blue bars, only white bars) the car switches to HEV mode. So around 2 kWh of the battery is reserved for hybrid use. So I would put 6 kWh into your equation. (Some of the residual 2 kWh may be consumed if you drive very slow and there is little to regenerate.)

When you try to drive pure electric, the ICE may start for a while because of your driving style. It also has a tendency to start just after driving away in EV mode, for a some seconds or minute, and I think it's for charging the 12V.

On the other hand, even when driving in HEV mode, the car may go either pure electric or in combination.

Gasoline/petrol prices seem a bit lower i Denmark than Norway, but I read at least 11 DKK/litre. Electric power prices in Denmark seems to have gone up as high as 2.29 DKK/kWh. This is more than double the price in Norway.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Just recharged my PHEV battery it used 8.575Kw to fully recharge, it was at minimum SOC (4 white Bars on SOC display). This will give me 37miles/60km range in ev mode

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Denmark is way behind ??
In 2014 it was sold 1602 electric cars and in 2015 as much as 4605 EVs. So it was starting to take off, due to zero tax on registration. But then Danish government, and later, the parliament, decided to gradually reimplement the tax for 2016 and 2017. So sales naturally dropped.

First half of 2017 only 17 private household purchased an EV, according to my sources (tu.no).

With relatively high prices for electric energy and delivery combined (power price) here is not as large "natural" incentive as in Norway, either.

Lobbyists and people in general, probably, wanted Norway to lead in electric cars, because we could, and Norwegian politicians always have wanted to be the moral compass for the world, for development, aid, welfare, peace, environment etc. And maybe it also had to do with a kind of "making up" for the enormous oil and gas production and export, as something initially "good", but rapidly becoming "bad".

What Norwegians wanted was not just to lower the emissions short term, but to make a market large enough to speed up development and bringing the cost down. Before taxation, electric cars are still expensive, but has dropped substantially.

In Q1 of 2015 there was sold almost eight times more Teslas in Norway (5 millions) than in UK (64 millions). Norway was Tesla's most important market after US.

Denmark did something similar when focusing on wind based energy (and some solar?) many years ago. This has also influenced the market and the technology development. I can understand Denmark's choice not to subsidize in both ends. Removing fossil power plants is probably just as important than reducing car emissions.

Reactions: howayee

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
We have now got less taxes from 3/10 2017... The ioniq hybrid dropped from 340.000 DKR to 290.000 DKR. So i might order one soon. But i am waiting for the Kia optima plugin to arrive in november for a testdrive before i decide.
The optima plugin seems very nice from specs. Now 340.000 DKR.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I can run 20-22 km/L with my 1.2 3 cylinder gasoline engine
With which 1.2l 3-cylinder engin can you average 20-22 km/L? The 3-cylinder Peugeot 208 averages 19 km/l on Fuelly even though it is smaller than the Ioniq. And for the Citroën C4 1.2 THP which doesn't appear clearly on Fuelly but can be better compared with the Ioniq, French owners report an average 16 km/L on French websites. So I'm wondering which 1.2 3-cylinder gasoline car offers such excellent fuel economy?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes IT is a peugoet 208.. driving to Work 80 km/h ~ 22 km/L
When i test ran the ioniq hybrid IT told my 18.2 km/,L...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I did reset the counter.. a Cold start as my peugoet. Hopefully the hybrid isnt a diesel running best at Long range..
I have the ioniq again Soon for a 5 days trip to germany.... Looking forward to a new longer run

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yes IT is a peugoet 208.. driving to Work 80 km/h ~ 22 km/L
When i test ran the ioniq hybrid IT told my 18.2 km/,L...
Both results are outliers!
On Fuelly no L3 gasoline 208 gets better than 18.3 km/l
Peugeot 208 MPG - Actual MPG from 6 Peugeot 208 owners

Conversely only 3% of HEV Ioniq gets lower than 19 km/l
2017 Hyundai Ioniq MPG - Actual MPG from 114 2017 Hyundai Ioniq owners

So really you were a hypermiler with the 208, and a hypomiler with the Ioniq. Do you know whether the Ioniq you tried had already driven some distance? When I bought my Ioniq the fuel economy was initially poor, and then quickly increased in matter of days.

·
Registered
Marina Blue HEV Ltd IONIQ from 25 Jul '17
1,865 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts