Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I much preferred the more conservative styling (interior in particular) of the Ioniq compared to the Prius. And I absolutely detest CVTs!

·
Registered
58 Posts
the rubber band like e-CVT the fact at the time i got mine
the prius was still using old tech NiCad battery tech instead of the LiPo vin the Ioniq,
what i considered butt ugly styling of the prius
no EV / Plugin route (prius was one trip HEV pony at time)

currently though toyota have addressed some of those issues, but the show stopper for me is still the whiney e-CVT transmission on the prius
Prius does not use Ni-Cads, the lower levels use Ni Metal hydride, and the upper levels use Li-ion.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric
27 Posts
the rubber band like e-CVT the fact at the time i got mine
Strange. The eCVT is the biggest selling point of the Prius and all of Toyota’s hybrids. It would be the reason I’d choose the Toyota instead, to be honest. First, there is no “rubber band like” behaviour, since it isn’t a traditional CVT in anything but name and uses no belts. Second, it has a track record of literally million mile cars without issue or replacement. Finally, it has always been key in Toyota’s efficiency numbers.

I agree with everyone’s statements about Toyota’s crappy infotainment, terrible user interface, bad back up camera resolution and questionable design, but the transmission is literally THE reason to buy the car. It’s been Toyotas secret to success for ages.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric Preferred Iron Grey
12 Posts
Since you're in Canada, as I am the reasons are plenty as i see it.

The Ioniq is a nicer looking car inside and out. It is more efficient. The financing is better, with better warranty and incentives. If you have somewhere to plug in, the hybrid almost doesn't make financial sense if you factor in the $2500 rebate with fuel savings, plus better combined torque and overall power. The dealers right now I believe are still offering $1500 towards financing them, as well as the $2500 for the plug in and $5000 for the electric plus 3 years of basic service free. Hyundai wants people to buy these.

Also, I only tested the PHEV and EV but both have such good drag coefficients that you can feel it coasting. It's the much calm, stable and efficient feeling vehicle I've driven and I loved both. I ended doing a ton of math and getting the EV as I feel the long term costs will be the least of the three, but depends largely on the distances you need to cover. Canada is not well equipped with chargers. But living in a rural area near Owen Sound, Ontario I'm surprised at how well covered I am to drive to Barrie, Muskoka and Orangeville where family and friends are.

Plus we have a Hyundai 2019 Sante Fe AWD for longer trips in bad weather or hauling stuff or kids around. The plug in and EV were a perfect second vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in
43 Posts
Like I wrote elsewhere, the Prius has a longer history of reliability but I just despise how (floaty) it feels when you drive it, for that reason I'd go with the Ioniq if I were you.

If you're buying an Ioniq used, you will have confirm what warranty you get if you buy the Ioniq used including confirming it was not used in a manner that voids warranties.

Other reasons like many have outlined earlier:
  • Beautiful 6-speed automatic transmission (even this veteran Honda Civic Hybrid driver - 12+ years - agrees on this)
  • NiMH traction battery in the case of the plain hybrid (the PHEV has a Li-ion battery, IIRC).
  • Android Play and Airplay available on base model.
  • PHEV cost after federal tax credit, where applicable, is comparable to a generic hybrid vehicle's cost.
  • Terrible console placement and cheap video game like feel as a driver including the gear shifter.
  • (IMO) horrible rear design.
  • (IMO) Even worse (than Ioniq) rear view.
  • (IMO) I've grown to love the audio system sound quality on my Ioniq PHEV, I don't know what the Prius' audio sounds like but I did not like it on a new rental Corolla.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in
43 Posts
The Ioniq is the quietest out of the bunch.. the transmission is quiet, the ICE is quiet.. it doesn't make weird fake sounds when you're rolling on electric (at least not the 2017 in the USA).

It drives and feels like a car.. mostly because of the 6 speed DCT and it's awesome because of it.. I love feeling the car shift.. it's nostalgic and more connected in feel.

Price.. cheaper than the rest.. solid win here..
Our 2019 Ioniq PHEV does make a sound on EV mode. I believe this is required (by law?) for accessibility reasons. Otherwise, I concur on your points.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts