Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my current dilemma and I'd like to know what Ioniq owners thought when they were in my position.
No question, go with Ioniq. Im an Uber driver in US. I have a 2019 Ioniq hybrid, limited with ultimate package. I get 59 MPG, leather seats, the BEST warranty, paddle shifters, which are really useful and a huge trunk. I love this car.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking in favour of the Ioniq, what Lead-acid battery are you referring to in the Prius?
Yes, In favor of the ioniq. The topic ask; “what made you pick the Ioniq?”

·
Registered
16 Posts
I looked at both also. Because of our driving habits the PHEV fit Best.
For the PHEV solution the Ioniq seemed to be getting the better reviews from the you tubers.
Basically, the Ioniq PHEV seamed to deliver more for less...

oh yes. I also like that the petroland motor engine share the drivetrain/transmission. I honestly don’t fell the change between ev/hev. It works very well for me (but I do like to drive like a grandpa, it’s so relaxing :- )

I have a PHEV, and we all love it.

·
Registered
2020 hybrid Shine
5 Posts
Transmission was man raison in favor of Ioniq. Also the looks and interior, and price of course.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I’m more interested in the mention of “no lead-acid battery.” What is that a comparison to?
Ioniq doesn't have a lead-acid battery compare to a Prius that has one.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium
44 Posts
No question, go with Ioniq. Im an Uber driver in US. I have a 2019 Ioniq hybrid, limited with ultimate package. I get 59 MPG, leather seats, the BEST warranty, paddle shifters, which are really useful and a huge trunk. I love this car.
Only 59mpg? I'm surprised as it seems most people are getting over 60 easily. I guess though it depends on the types of roads you drive on and climate etc

·
Super Moderator
2,083 Posts
Only 59mpg? I'm surprised as it seems most people are getting over 60 easily. I guess though it depends on the types of roads you drive on and climate etc
I'm assuming that's 59 mpg US so that trumps ( apologies) 60 mpg UK ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
The difference is in the measure. 1 gal US is about 0.83 gal IMP. Or, conversely, 1 gal IMP is about 1.2 gal US.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just drove 200km. Mixed traffic, long run on freeway, Finally city traffic.
105mpg/24,7 km/l. Pure HEV.
Lovely!!!
(Yes, yes, the picture shows EV, but i was stopped at the lights... i was running HEV, please beleive me :- )

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had.. FIVE different Hybrids so far..

Ford C-MAX Hybrid (2013)
Hyundai Ioniq Blue (2017)
Honda Insight (new 2019)
Toyota Prius Hybrid (2010)
Toyota RAV4 Hybrid (2020)

The only one I kept is the 2017 Ioniq Blue.

I won't get too detailed but the Ioniq gets the best MPG out of the bunch (Obviously the RAV4 HEV doesn't belong here, but it's a hybrid so the way it operates is unique compared to the rest).

The Ioniq is the quietest out of the bunch.. the transmission is quiet, the ICE is quiet.. it doesn't make weird fake sounds when you're rolling on electric (at least not the 2017 in the USA).

It drives and feels like a car.. mostly because of the 6 speed DCT and it's awesome because of it.. I love feeling the car shift.. it's nostalgic and more connected in feel.

Price.. cheaper than the rest.. solid win here..

If anyone wants more detailed info on how I feel about one Hybrid to the next just ask away..

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is my current dilemma and I'd like to know what Ioniq owners thought when they were in my position.
since I just bought mine (2020 SEL) the 5 cars I was concidering :
Prius, Corolla hev, Camry hev, insight, accord hev
Insight - did not like the handling, or the power, the interior was lacking, sales person was also not really helpful
Prius & Corolla - interior was sparse, no steering wheel adjustments - did not even take them for a drive.
Camry hev (LE) - interior was well appointed, power was great, handling was good. Seats were a bit hard, interior room felt a bit tight, steering was 'heavy', no sun/moon roof, steel wheels and warrantee was not as good (2yr B2B and 5 drive train)
Accord hev - never got to even see one dealer did not have any making it hard to purchase. :)
Ioniq hev - steering was lighter, interior felt roomier, seats more comfortable, sun/moon roof, alloy wheels, better (theroretical) milage, paddle shifting, better warrantee. And lastly I am a previous Hyundai owner (2010 Elantra Blue - stick).

pricing between Camry and Ioniq was similar (+/- $1000)

·
Registered
32 Posts
The biggest difference between the Ioniq and Prius which made my purchase much easier was the lack of Apple CarPlay in the Prius. The only model that had GPS was the top of the line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really wanted the advanced driver assistance features (adaptive cruise control, lane keeping, etc.), but did not want to have leather seats (they are hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and not great ethically). In most cars including the Prius you are forced to get leather in order to get those tech features and that also comes at a high cost. The Ioniq (SEL model) allowed me to get the options I wanted so I never even test drove the Prius.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before I bought a used 2018 Ioniq, I test-drove both new and used Priuses, new and used Insights, a new Camry hybrid, and a used Accord hybrid. The Camry looked and drove like a normal car and would have been my first choice if money and size were no object. But my garage isn't large and my wife has a medium-size car, so squeezing in a Camry would mean a lot of door crashes and frustrations. Also, a new Camry hybrid cost roughly twice as much as a used Ioniq.

Like other posters, I didn't like everything in the center of the Prius (the salesman said it was so they could sell the same model in the UK and just switch the steering wheel. Nice for Toyota to save money but no benefit for the customer.). The Prius did not accelerate nearly as well as the Ioniq or Insight - I didn't feel safe merging uphill onto a highway (several of the merge lanes are on hills and you have to join 70+ mph traffic). The Ioniq is fast enough in regular mode but you can quickly shift to Sport if you need to get up to speed in a hurry then switch back. The Insight's engine was noisy and it had a weird video feed instead of a blind spot monitor (I hear they've changed that in newer models). The shift lever was hard to figure out - my wife also test drove an Insight and refused to go far because the shifter scared her - not intuitive.

Finally the Accord was an ok hybrid but it didn't accelerate quickly, didn't feel like a sporty car, and the driver's seat was very low to the ground and difficult to get in and out. Also, my right knee constantly bumped the plastic panel - not enough leg room (and I'm not tall).

You can research many opinions on these vehicles and use Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, U.S. News, and other websites to see reviews. There are also quite a few YouTube videos with demonstrations.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I owned a 2004, 2009, and 2013 Prius and although I loved the 2004 and 2009, I was disappointed by the 2013. I did not want the navigation system since my earlier Prius navs were not great and not worth the money. However, the trim level I bought for the 2013 (which was more expensive than the previous ones which had nav systems) lacked HID headlights and no HomeLink garage door opener. I was considering a Prius Prime since I wanted a plug-in, but it really bothered me that I had gotten burned by Toyota on the 2013.

I took a Ioniq HEV for a test drive and was happy with the handling and power. After realizing how much value for the money the Ioniq provided, I decided to buy a 2019 Ioniq Plug-In in December 2018. Best care I've ever owned. Liked it so much that I bought a second one this past June and gave the first to my wife who was looking for the safety features available in the Ioniq.

·
Registered
65 Posts
100,000 mile warranty on my Hyundai ionic sel
Toyota's warranty doesn't come close
Toyota overpriced their cars too

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 5 year or 100K miles warranty, the lifetime hybrid battery warranty, best mpg, styling and the price @ several thousand dollars less than a Prius.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts