Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my current dilemma and I'd like to know what Ioniq owners thought when they were in my position.

·
Registered
620 Posts
It was an easy decision for me. I did not like the style of the Prius. I did not care for the instrument layout. Hyundai dealer gave me a better deal than the Toyota dealer. I looked at the Honda Insight too. The engine was to noisy and the dealer could not beat Hyundai on price.

Reactions: Jonboy

·
Registered
74 Posts
The stupid center dashboard placement in Prius is enough reason to turn me off, this deduct 50 points out out 100 points in my criteria .

If u really fancy Toyota brand, go get other hybrid model like Camry.

·
Registered
Iconiq plug In. Premium SE/ultimate 2019
72 Posts
Like others have said the Toyota looks like a design exercise gone wrong and couldn’t possibly live with the ergonomics of the instrument panel,
Iconiq ticked nearly all my boxes and 8 months in I’m delighted with my purchase,

Yesterday in heavy rain and poor visibility nearly ran into an idiot with no lights on driving slowly on a dual carriageway,
The autonomous braking stopped me running into him so consider my money well spent on my Iconiq

·
Super Moderator
8,213 Posts
the rubber band like e-CVT the fact at the time i got mine
the prius was still using old tech NiCad battery tech instead of the LiPo vin the Ioniq,
what i considered butt ugly styling of the prius
no EV / Plugin route (prius was one trip HEV pony at time)

currently though toyota have addressed some of those issues, but the show stopper for me is still the whiney e-CVT transmission on the prius

·
Registered
112 Posts
I purchased a new 2019 HEV Ioniq. At the time, Prius was more expensive, did not have Apple Car Play, and the looks of the car turned me off.

The only factor that would have swayed me over to the Prius is its unquestionable outstanding reliability record compared to the still mostly unproven reliability of the Ioniq. Because of it reliability and reputation, I suspect the Prius retains its resale value better than the Ioniq, but I don't know that for sure. Considering that I keep my vehicles for a long time (10+ years), and I've owned and been satisfied with Hyundai vehicles in the past, I took a chance on the Ioniq. I have no regrets so far.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I understand what @Gearbox Paul is saying.

For me, every other vehicle in my driveway is a Toyota, purely for the low total cost of ownership and reliability. I keep my cars for a long time usually. My best friend is a seasoned mechanic (or, "Auto Service Technician" as they're increasingly called now). Even he admits that Hyundai's quality has drastically improved over the past 5 years. So the trade off, based on my knowledge and his, is Hyundai has better value, better warranty and lower initial cost, but Toyota's generally last longer, cost less over the longer term, and retain more value.

In my case, Toyota still doesn't fully believe in EV tech as they believe PHEV's are better, which I don't necessarily disagree with, but I wanted a full EV.

If PHEV's can achieve 100km on a single charge, I think they will do much better than pure EVs in the long run as they can handle probably 99% of the populations one-way driving needs, but range anxiety goes away for longer trips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased a new 2019 HEV Ioniq. At the time, Prius was more expensive, did not have Apple Car Play, and the looks of the car turned me off.

The only factor that would have swayed me over to the Prius is its unquestionable outstanding reliability record compared to the still mostly unproven reliability of the Ioniq. Because of it reliability and reputation, I suspect the Prius retains its resale value better than the Ioniq, but I don't know that for sure. Considering that I keep my vehicles for a long time (10+ years), and I've owned and been satisfied with Hyundai vehicles in the past, I took a chance on the Ioniq. I have no regrets so far.
This is my exact line of thought. I love reliability in Prius and everything else in the Ioniq. The problem is that I'll be averaging 50,000km - 70,000km every year. That's a lot of driving and for 4-6 months of the year, that driving will be done in extremely cold weather (-20c to -30c). If I had a regular commute, I'd take the Ioniq without a doubt.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Ugly sums it up well. I could have lived with the Gen3 Prius form, but that car is not as efficient as the ugly Gen4 or the Ioniq/Niro. So no downside to choosing those, other than a reliability edge to Toyota for their superior (if annoying) transmission.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I LOVE the center placement and HUD of the Prius dash, but the killer for us was the interior design of the Prius. The dash kind of swoops up at the edges where it meets the windows and gives the impression (if maybe not the reality) of limiting your visibility, especially while parking. My wife was deeply uncomfortable with her visibility in the Prius. The other key was that the only Prius option for us was the Prime because we wanted a plug-in hybrid, and the Prime ONLY comes with that horrible giant iPad of console controls. While it initially seems really cool, in practice it's a nightmare because you can't control anything the car without taking your eyes off the road and looking at the screen. Safety requires tactical knobs and buttons to allow you to do things like turn down the air without looking.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq Plugin, Phantom black
124 Posts
This is my current dilemma and I'd like to know what Ioniq owners thought when they were in my position.
Styling + cost of ownership. The Prius styling is horrendous and would make Korean, European/italian designers that favour soft, rounded, symmetric and smooth design very ill. That's my view! Toyota's styling is simply not their strong suit. Maybe that will change down the road.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Styling + cost of ownership. The Prius styling is horrendous and would make Korean, European/italian designers that favour soft, rounded, symmetric and smooth design very ill. That's my view! Toyota's styling is simply not their strong suit. Maybe that will change down the road.
Even as a proud devote Toyota owner, I agree that they have historically lacked in the styling department. One would argue that they're getting better, but that's a matter of personal taste. I think they're getting better but still have some improvements to make, especially in their electrified fleet.

But as most people know, people don't buy Toyota's for their looks.

Fun example: friend of mine works in an auto shop that specializes in tires. They have three work trucks, all Tundras. They've all reached the 500,000km mark and have only needed brakes and fluids. Impressive in my books.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq Plugin, Phantom black
124 Posts
Even as a proud devote Toyota owner, I agree that they have historically lacked in the styling department. One would argue that they're getting better, but that's a matter of personal taste. I think they're getting better but still have some improvements to make, especially in their electrified fleet.

But as most people know, people don't buy Toyota's for their looks.

Fun example: friend of mine works in an auto shop that specializes in tires. They have three work trucks, all Tundras. They've all reached the 500,000km mark and have only needed brakes and fluids. Impressive in my books.
Agree with the Toyota longevity and reliablility. I owned a Corolla in the 98 model year..remember the one that you could see the tail pipe /muffler protruding like an ugly add on! You never saw that on Honda.

·
Registered
750 Posts
1. Looking much better both inside and out.
2. No Lead-Acid battery

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Hybrid SE
5 Posts
Two, maybe three, reason:
1-Warranty. My wife has a Santa Fe, and the starter in it crapped out when we drove to Big Bear for the weekend. It was still under warranty and Hyundai paid to have a wrecker drive up to Big Bear, pick up the car, drive it down to Riverside, CA., fix it, and then bring the car back. And they did it all in a day! I thought that was great! Also, all the other parts of the warranty are great (industry-leading);
2-I know it sounds goofy, but I like that it has a manual parking brake rather than an electronic one;
3-The dual clutch means I don't feel a distinct difference when it goes from electric to gas or vice versa. This makes for a nicer, more comfortable ride.
(Also, all the safety features are standard, to get exactly the same ones on the Prius you have to either pay for them as extras or get a pricey 'package' that includes them. I personally don't like this, and think it points towards Toyota being more interested in profits than making a safe car).
I'm sure there are more, but this was my thought process.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My wife is in the market, as of today; the Zafira is heading towards costing big money soon. She had an open mind, looking at Toyotas and others, until I showed her this thread. It now looks as though we are likely to became a 2 Ioniq family but, because of the greater equity in her car, she will have the newer one!!!!

I HATE you lot!!!!!!! 😂 😂 😂

·
Registered
225 Posts
Two, maybe three, reason:
1-Warranty. My wife has a Santa Fe, and the starter in it crapped out when we drove to Big Bear for the weekend. It was still under warranty and Hyundai paid to have a wrecker drive up to Big Bear, pick up the car, drive it down to Riverside, CA., fix it, and then bring the car back. And they did it all in a day! I thought that was great! Also, all the other parts of the warranty are great (industry-leading);
2-I know it sounds goofy, but I like that it has a manual parking brake rather than an electronic one;
3-The dual clutch means I don't feel a distinct difference when it goes from electric to gas or vice versa. This makes for a nicer, more comfortable ride.
(Also, all the safety features are standard, to get exactly the same ones on the Prius you have to either pay for them as extras or get a pricey 'package' that includes them. I personally don't like this, and think it points towards Toyota being more interested in profits than making a safe car).
I'm sure there are more, but this was my thought process.
All good and valid points, but allow two counterpoints to consider:

1) Unless US trims are different, all Toyota’s in Canada (including the base model Yaris) come with all available safety features that the top trim comes with. No extra

2) Where Toyota may make more money on the initial purchase, it’s very well documented that the long term total cost of ownership is what makes Toyota a superior brand. Yes, their warranty is nowhere near as valuable as Hyundai, but most people never need to have any non-scheduled work done in the first 10 years with Toyota’s.

To counter my own counter point, if you like the peace of mind that Hyundai’s warranty provides, then it’s probably the better choice.

Final thought: I love both my Camry and my Ioniq equally :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts