Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ice Engine warmed after 12 miles running on petrol to extend EV range by 12 miles. Flicked to EV to use remaining battery to home but I decided to drop into Sport mode up a hill. After a few seconds on ICE the engine sounded rough and red engine/cel came on. Switched back to EV and drove home.

Checked for codes...
29/04/19 - pending x 2
P0011 camshaft position actuator A bank timing over advanced or retarded
P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire
Did not clear the codes.

Ran the engine as a test next day. Drove in EV, flicked to HEV and ice Ran smoothly without drive for 50 seconds to warm up before driving and giving Orange CEL. Got P0011 again with multiple misfire codes and orange engine/CEL.

Other info...
Mar 2018 Dip stick showed overfill a month after 10k mile service (8500 on clock) and smelled of petrol. Oil changed.
First 6 months, 8k miles, of cars life driven on 50/50% Dino juice and electric.
Last 15 months 10/90% petrol/electric.
Feb 2019 20k service at 17k.

After CEL
Apr 2019 Dip stick checked, as you would expect, cleaned dipstick, dipped oil, unable to make out mark for oil. Did not check for petrol smell as assumed Camshaft sensors 拢25 each or actuators(vvt) 拢225 in the frame.
Also some mayo on the dipstick a week earlier but cleared after run but still some on the underside of the oil filler cap.

Drove in EV to Johnson at 8:30 on 10th May for 1 hour investigation... Car put on charger straight away. Turns out it was in for the day. Loner KONA premium SE supplied with 220 miles on the clock. Insurance showed a week... no updates as little or no work on car yet... Master Tech Shaun very busy. Insurance altered for 2nd week...

And of course, Shaun is changing all 4 injectors this pm... 22nd May.

Hands up who got there from the codes... besides those that have read the long oil overfill thread from around Feb18.

Hopefully, that will cure the rough running and will stop the dipstick smelling of petrol ever again. Fingers crossed I get the all clear text in the am.

Oh, and I will try to explain to Roy, service manager, why I called hyundai UK after I'd got the "he's with a customer" for third time in 12 days of my car being there but nothing being done.

Kona loaner driving fine. Love the premium SE bits, blind spot, reverse car approach sensors and the HEAD UP DISPLAY.
Sports mode is scary quick! Fuel use also scary... 26-36 mpg... Might as well be driving my Mazda RX-8 on track馃槀馃槀馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Told at 3pm today that I could pick up the car. Unfortunately, I was with a client. Finished at 5pm but had no time to make lpool by 5:30 to collect the car.

Hopefully, tomoz I can speak to Service Manager and Master Technician in the morning to review work done and how the book took them to injectors.

How come the injectors have gone after 3k miles on petrol?

We can then check to see if the oil is contaminated with petrol and change it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed, bluecar1.
I am effectively driving the car as an EV, so the ICE mileage in my ownership is down to 400 miles to Luton (easter18) and 700 to Cornwall (july18).
Bought at 8k(having been driven 50% EV) Now 19k... So around 5-6k miles max on ICE, so similar timing in real terms.

Definately suffering from high oil levels, fuel in oil not long after purchase, and now juddering/stuttering above idle.
The cylinder 3 misfire code points down the cylinder head replacement(after injectors, plugs, coil packs) ... The engine was built at the same time. I very seldom drive the car aggressively and very very few times in Sports mode with the beans on full. Hopefully not the cylinder head issue.

So I am just running a bit late on identifying the issue. I previously registered oil overfill and smell of petrol but that doesn't happen if I don't use ICE.

My big question is... How can I seriously go on a 2 hour round trip to collect the car on the say so of a dealer service/receptionist that I can't be sure have tested the car? When we have seen so many being "tricked" into thinking their car is fine and ready for collection for it to be faulty 10 miles later.

What words do I use to say have you really tested it? Miles added since at Johnsons? Do I ask them to drive it to me?
Do I drive down and test it using my second key before handing over the thirsty loaner Kona?

Driving in HEV mode, do most people see a max of 50mpg on their instantaneous display on the right of the dash?

Registered
My big question is... How can I seriously go on a 2 hour round trip to collect the car on the say so of a dealer service/receptionist that I can't be sure have tested the car? When we have seen so many being "tricked" into thinking their car is fine and ready for collection for it to be faulty 10 miles later.

What words do I use to say have you really tested it? Miles added since at Johnsons? Do I ask them to drive it to me?
Do I drive down and test it using my second key before handing over the thirsty loaner Kona?

Driving in HEV mode, do most people see a max of 50mpg on their instantaneous display on the right of the dash?
The problem is that if the dealership believe the car is fixed, they will want you to pick it up and return your loaner, so really you don't have a great deal of choice. Thus, I would be very blunt and ask them to confirm that they have tested the car and found the issue fully resolved before you make the trip to collect it.

If, when you do collect it, it turns out the problem is still present, you report that to them so that they know, and either take the car back for more work, or are ready to receive it if it has to be towed back.

What you really can't do is let some other owner experiences with other dealerships interfere with your personal relationship with this one. Assume these people are competent and capable, unless and until they prove otherwise.

As to fuel economy, I would say that a max of 50mpg on the display is a bit low based on experiences I've seen posted here, and the EPA estimates for the PHEV which is 52mpg combined (which equates to 65mpg in the UK). However, hybrids are typically very variable based on driving conditions and style.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Andy. I bit the bullet and went down for 10 this morning and spoke at length with the new Service Manager. As I drove down I called hyundai UK to check if they need to pre-authorise part swaps, which they apparently don't and can claim back for parts used.

I handed over the key to the Kona... Gonna miss the heads up display :(

What was done...
Replaced 4 x injectors... Test drive = better but still not smooth enough...
Remove plug 3... Very Bad... Swap all 4 plugs and coil packs... Test drive = smooth again = Normal...
Max test drive done 7 miles.

Discussed that oil level was above max... (looked b4 entering showroom - used my 2nd key) And possible fuel contamination... (did you mention this 2-3 weeks ago along with mayo on oil cap... Err yes)
Service Manager spoke to tech... And said tech said it was OK... And no mayo.... Err let's check shall we... Agreed well above max level... Slight hint of petrol...
Oil cap mayo had been wiped off.

Can you wait while we change oil... Certainly... All done...

Ran in HEV or Sports to give it a good test at motorway speeds on the way to work...

Mpg averaging more than normally in HEV... 55-60... Must drive in HEV more often to check the car is OK. Much better.

Oil level Check on arrival home + 5 minutes... Just on max mark... Marker in case problem still there.

Love my ioniq... Just looked out the front door gleaming marina blue with tyre prepped.

Registered
A perfect example of how a dealership experience can be made a good one by the use of a little courtesy and the polite drawing of attention to the problem!

I'd be inclined to drive it in HEV for a while to see how it feels and behaves after the work, otherwise there could be a problem due to recur that you don't get to for a while due to EV mode.

Other than that, it's a great car to enjoy!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Might even treat it to some shell premium fuel instead of supermarket ( asda) special. Will burn the 300 asda miles in the tank and then try Shell's best.
It's a plan that's in place, cheers, Andy. :)

Asked the guy what he thought of me contacting Hyundai... No problem at all... We are a team to be there for you.
He also said they actively steer clear of forums... So they won't have seen the cylinder head photos... No show me..
Wonder how difficult it would be to get an endoscope up to the intake or exhaust valves, ooh errr Mrs!

They do get to hear what other garages experience via regional/national.

Hopefully, using up all current fuel will get me nearer to knowing if its fixed... I'll call it a new running in period.... And then give it lots of Sports mode... An Italian Service!

Just spotted this... GDI engine. (hyundai's) pdi (port direct injection) and both.... If you are easily upset by clogged valves.... Look away now... Or Catch can at the ready...

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
OK 1000 miles later, 20k on clock, orange engine warning light CEL MIL etc.
I was just switching manually to HEV to save the little charge I had. Ice ran to charge battery while warming up, used ice going up hill. Ice running for a few minutes. Ran all the way home on ice just in case the ice died as the battery was low. No strange noises from ice.

Check for codes via odbii... P0340 camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction. Could be a faulty hall sensor this time or the wiring etc.

I will contact Johnsons hyundai Liverpool tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
BlueNev
Hyundai IONIQ Forum
A community of Hyundai Ioniq enthusiasts discussing the electric acceleration & reliability of the Hyundai ioniq hybrid.
Full Forum Listing