Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not something I considered when I bought a used Ioniq EV. When I charge to 100% the car regens for a mile or so as I head down the hil, but then the regen stops because, I suspect, the battery can't take any more charge (or the system just doesn't allow it) and the regen goes to zero. Not a huge deal but means I have to ride the brakes and sort of defeats the purpose...I also wonder if 'overcharging' isn't helping the batteries as well.

Ideally it would be great to plug the car in and get it to charge to 98% or something like that.

Anyone have a similar situation? Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
1,645 Posts
Yes, you already indicate a suggestion yourself. Just do not fully charge the battery, as these last %% of charging are a waste of energy and money spent. Be happy that that last part just comes for free.

If you give some more details about the car, you might get some further answers. For example, 2020 or before 2020? Do you have Bluelink? Did you already find out how to schedule the charging using a preset departure time?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jan - Sorry for the lack of details. 2017 Ioniq Limited Ultimate but no bluelink. 35K miles and in great shape and seems to have 100% battery capacity. The real question, is without bluelink is there an easy way to only charge to 98%? I've seen the videos of people messing with the on-board scheduler as well as calculating the time left and setting an external schedule, but 'others' in the house not being quite as diligent (I'll be lucky if they plug it in!) it would be nice to have a way to not fully charge.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
119 Posts
Why would you charge to 100% at all? Ideally you want to stay as close to 50% as possible all time

·
Registered
217 Posts
So is there an easy way to charge to 50%?
You can set 10% increments on the 38kWh model (don't think you can on the 28kWh)
So other than working out how much the car charges per hour, and setting a timer on your watch to remind you to stop. ie my 38 on the 10Amp granny charger charges at approx 5% every hour. On a 32Amp it will be approx 16% per hour
Your 28kWh Ioniq will be about 7% per hour and 23% respectively.

·
Super Moderator
1,645 Posts
Thanks Jan - Sorry for the lack of details. 2017 Ioniq Limited Ultimate but no bluelink. 35K miles and in great shape and seems to have 100% battery capacity. The real question, is without bluelink is there an easy way to only charge to 98%? I've seen the videos of people messing with the on-board scheduler as well as calculating the time left and setting an external schedule, but 'others' in the house not being quite as diligent (I'll be lucky if they plug it in!) it would be nice to have a way to not fully charge.
First, only charge up to (close to) 100% when needed; otherwise, aim at 50% to 80%.
Second, based on the charging power at home, you can determine a rule of thumb for the % you charge per hour. For example, I charge at power 3.7 kW at home and used as a rule of thumb for my 28 kWh Ioniq 10% per hour. By that, it was not difficult to charge to around 80%, or 100% when needed (I can start and stop charging by an app for my charging point; do you have such an app?). You may have to invest in some further education of these 'others' in your house (if you really want to leave the responsibility for charging to them...).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All of that makes sense. I was just hoping for a 'dumb' solution that only charged to a certain % every time you plugged in the car. My charging point is not that sophisticated.

·
Super Moderator
1,645 Posts
They do provide the option to charge up to some % for the 2020 38 kWh version, which is my current car, but my previous 28 kWh version did not have that option.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
119 Posts
All of that makes sense. I was just hoping for a 'dumb' solution that only charged to a certain % every time you plugged in the car. My charging point is not that sophisticated.
It's so stupid we don't have the % slider. Problem with our Ioniqs is they were not meant to sell in big numbers. Making them too good would have resulted in bad news for the Hyundai ICE cars and a demand beyond what the battery factory was capable of. Now when the cars are there, out of production I could wish for an updated FW that upped the game.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the EVSE's can do it, the car itself should be able to do it pretty easily. Like you said, just a silly omission. I guess when I get the level 2 charger I'll have to pay for one that is 'smart'.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
810 Posts
If the EVSE's can do it, the car itself should be able to do it pretty easily. Like you said, just a silly omission. I guess when I get the level 2 charger I'll have to pay for one that is 'smart'.
It won't help, on the standard J1772 (US/Canada/Mexico) or Menekes (EU, etc.) connector used for Level 1 and 2 EVSE there is no communication telling the EVSE what the car's state of charge is. It's only with DC charging that there's an actual dialog taking place between car and station.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Kevin - I guess I need some education then. So for example, in this Juicebox video, at approx 1:30 when it shows the current charge level and the target level, you're saying that would not show/work on the Ioniq? In the video they said something about 'inputing' the charge level so I guess you tell it the current state and it knows the time/charge qty and estimates the battery levels? If that's the case, yes, it doesn't help me. Am I missing something?

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
807 Posts
I have a JuiceBox Pro and it's great. As mentioned by Kevin, there is no communication between the car and the EVSE, but with the JuiceBox app, I can tell my JuiceBoc Pro the SoC of my vehicle when I plug it in. My JuiceBox Pro will then know how much energy to allow before cutting the charge. On the whole it works very well but it's not totally hands off.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Y Thanks all. I'm pretty surprised this hasn't been solved/addressed by the EV world. Seems like a huge gap and oppty. I need a 'dumb' solution for the people in my fam and it looks like there is no solution. That's disappointing.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Seems like a huge gap and oppty. I need a 'dumb' solution for the people in my fam and it looks like there is no solution.
User friendly is the term you may prefer to use inside your family.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
119 Posts
Y Thanks all. I'm pretty surprised this hasn't been solved/addressed by the EV world. Seems like a huge gap and oppty. I need a 'dumb' solution for the people in my fam and it looks like there is no solution. That's disappointing.
It's quite annoying why stuff like this are not just working seamless already. Not only the Ioniq but all EVs more or less.

As always with work arounds there are many ways but all are more or less complicated. As already suggested above I too find the timer option fairly good to use. I push the EV button and the car gives me an estimated charge time. I subtract about an hour from that to get to about 80% as the car does eat about 22% per hour. I do this when I'm approaching the charge points where I do my daily charge and adjust the timer accordingly.

To this I have added a little app called EV notify that let me sneak peak at the SOC while charging. It can send me a push notification at a desired SOC. This is really only one way communication but at least I know if the charge gets interrupted.

All systems are stand alone though so no feedback in between them. Would probably be possible to have google read the evnotify data and have some IFTTT switch of the charger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Superhero...I just took a look at the app you were describing. I think this might work. Even for my level 1 charger, if I can find an outlet that can handle the load AND work with my SmartThings Hub, it might be an easy IFTTT or similar to set up.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
810 Posts
Thanks @Ou Boet , that's good to know and about as brilliant as it gets for a non-programmable car.

Reactions: Ou Boet
1 - 20 of 26 Posts