Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after many glorious years driving over-engined cheap luxo-barges (Jag, Saab) and riding fast motorbikes, I have now had a mid life crisis and gone the opposite way to most men and bought a nice blue Ioniq Plug in hybrid.
I wanted to go electric, previously new cars held absolutely no interest for me, but the electric revolution really grasped me, I understand the laws of physics (unlike many) so it seemed a very sensible way to travel, certainly for short and urban trips. Usually I buy old cheap cars as am good at spannering, but you can't get old electric cars, so for the first time ever I went to a dealer and bought nearly new (ex demonstrator).
I considered full EV but I drive from London to Manchester approx every 2 weeks - during the winter rather than summer for some of my work. This journey is squeezed in between working days so can't be bothered to stop and charge as am tired enough. It's 200 miles each way, so I went PHEV so that at least my local journeys and commutes and kids taxi runs are all on electric, but longer journeys are no problem. Had to get something plug in as have solar panels and am not out in it every day.
I will miss the performance of my Saab, which was also very smooth and quiet, but urban driving was a pain in it. Now I actually enjoy having a car that is really good at going slowly, as that's how traffic is a lot of the time. It will take time to learn all the amazing tech that's on this car, but loving it so far and actually have fun trying to keep the engine off on short journeys. I have been reading this forum to get tips and learn all about what the car does.
Am still using the "emergency charger" which I've been told not to use, but I plug it into a socket in my garage which is 10cm from the mains distribution board and RCD protected, and set the current to 6a, UK so 240v. Will eventually get a Zappi charger for optimising solar charging, but I can't see any harm in the way I'm doing it now.
Oh and how do I reset the average MPG without deleting all the history as it doesn't seem to correspond to anything useful. Am only interested in the MPG when using HEV mode, when on electric I don't want it to count those miles or the figure is meaningless.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Is there anything else on the circuit breaker for your RCD outlet? If not, you may as well set the 'emergency charger' to it's full rate and enjoy a charge that's 2/3rds as fast as a Level 2.

Edit to add: Sounds like you have the perfect use case for a PHEV, great choice.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have fun getting to know your new Ioniq. Its a great car. But to answer your question, the average mpg display doesn't work the way you want. You can configure it to reset on tank fill up or never reset. But it does not distinguish between EV mode or hev mode. So if you drive a lot in EV mode your mpg will get really high.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome aboard, Phev is an excellent choice for you.....enjoy all the workings of your new mobile computer :)

BTW great colour.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wolcome. Actually average mpg works well when you reset it manually just before doing an engine trip. I charge with the "emergency charger" for 1500km so far. I think that is no different than any other charger for home socket you could buy, so no harm in using it for "emergency" only.

For reseting the average mpg you need to go to average mpg on the dash (with buttons on steering wheel) and press down and hold the button on the left of the cruise control set, res (on steering wheel).

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Congratulations, welcome!

Perfect choice of car, is long as large enough for your persons+luggage needs, very energy effective as it is, still sporty when you want it to (try Sport + pedal with plenty charge, just to feel it).

The thing with owning a PHEV is charging it daily, or after each trip over a few km, and make it a habit. That means, in the long run, you should make it as hassle free as possible (home/wall charger wit fixed cable). Using the "emergency" is not a problem short term or ad hoc as long as no heating of cable/sockets/plug occurs, just be aware of wear and tear, and that your RCD protection might not work in all cases if not "Type A", because of possible DC leaks. Long term, a charger is a need, also for safety all around inside/outside the house.

Over months, years, I have experienced better and better MPG (lower fuel consumption), first the car learns itself, then you, on how to treat it. Tip: Different priorities depening on going on a pure EV trip or a longer one, especially at winter. You wil find it all in this forum!

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can change the charge rates on the 3 pin Mains charger? 😲
On the 120V North American version there's a button the back that you push and hold to set the charge level to L (8A), M (10A), or H (12A). The original poster said "and set the current to 6a" and I noticed that the MY20 UK brochure mentions a 10A maximum rate for the emergency charger, so my assumption is that it has a similar LMH button feature, albeit with different current ratings than the NA version to correspond to the norms of the UK electrical system.

Edit to add: Here's how it's described in the Canadian owner's manual:

Page H16:

Page H22:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts