Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m currently driving a 2011 Honda CRZ and Im planning to switch my car to ioniq. im still thinking if I should buy the plug In; however , I live in a apartment and I have no wall outlet near the parking lot To charge my car. I do have a charging port like 8 minutes away from me. Would it be a good idea to buy a plug in and drive 8 miles to charge my car ? Or should I might as well buy a normal hybrid ? Thank you for reading my thread!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Is the charger completely out of your usual route, so would require a separate trup?

Is it 8 mi one way to the charger, so 16 mi return trip just to charge?

Substrat your return charging trip distance from the total EV range of the plug-in car. Would remaining EV range be worth it?

Also, what would you do while car is charging?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hello, I’m currently driving a 2011 Honda CRZ and Im planning to switch my car to ioniq. im still thinking if I should buy the plug In; however , I live in a apartment and I have no wall outlet near the parking lot To charge my car. I do have a charging port like 8 minutes away from me. Would it be a good idea to buy a plug in and drive 8 miles to charge my car ? Or should I might as well buy a normal hybrid ? Thank you for reading my thread!
Hi & welcome as well. There are a few other variables to consider as well, like electrical charging source in your area or access to restricted lower emmission inner-city locations especially EU & UK. But basically home charging or work charging access is a big one to really make a PHEV a good fit for most people.
I use the Type 1 Granny Charger at home unless there happens to be a charge station where I'm visiting either free or included in parking cost. So far I don't find the need to pay just to charge.
I'm thinking a Hybrid would be a better match.
Check out other current related posts, plenty of other folks wrestling with this decision.

Reactions: Ioniquest and ds093

·
Registered
479 Posts
With no ability to charge at home, the hybrid may be a better choice. The phev charges at a slower rate than a typical EV, it can take several hours depending. This is fine if you can charge at home, but can be expensive and inconvenient at public chargers. If you can charge at work that would hep. Or if your home situation changes in the future that would help. Or if the federal tax credit for the phev makes the purchase price less than the hybrid that would help.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi & welcome as well. There are a few other variables to consider as well, like electrical charging source in your area or access to restricted lower emmission inner-city locations especially EU & UK. But basically home charging or work charging access is a big one to really make a PHEV a good fit for most people.
I use the Type 1 Granny Charger at home unless there happens to be a charge station where I'm visiting either free or included in parking cost. So far I don't find the need to pay just to charge.
I'm thinking a Hybrid would be a better match.
Check out other current related posts, plenty of other folks wrestling with this decision.

so far people considered me to buy a hybrid instead of plug in . therefore I’m going to look into hybrid I appreciate you guys looking into my post ! It means a lot thank you guys again and happy holidays to the people that celebrate !

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you are not going to take advantage of home charging, then I don't believe the PHEV makes any sense because it is heavier and has a smaller trunk. The Hybrid version is very efficient.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ioniq PHEV has e-mileage of 29 miles. You will be wasting 16 just o charge it thus leaving you with 13 miles of 'free' or 'cheap' driving. Assuming that charging 8 miles away is FREE. Plus you will be wasting time to be there and wait until battery is charged.
PHEV is ideal for people having charger available very close by (work, garage).
If you have to make an extra effort to get somewhere just to charge it - not worth it. Even if you get car for free. Go for HEV or ICE.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you have to make an extra effort to get somewhere just to charge it - not worth it. Even if you get car for free. Go for HEV or ICE.
I was agreeing with you until this last part. The extra effort may be worth it to an individual if the charger location is just a detour along the usual commuting route, they have something positive to do while charging, and the EV range (minus the charging detour) is enough for them. It would also be worth it in terms of reducing emissions.

That brings me to your last point. I was startled to see you listing ICE as one of the options. A person who is seriously considering buying an Ioniq can probably afford at least the basic trim level of the hybrid version. In that case, how can you justify buying an ICE in the face of the climate crisis?

·
Registered
110 Posts
In that case, how can you justify buying an ICE in the face of the climate crisis?
Do you REALLY think that We can make a difference????
What China, India, USA and other foked-up countries do in 1 SECOND in terms of pollution, all cars currently on the road combined (in 'first' world countries) will not pollute in a 100 years. Do not forget that not every country produces 'clean' electricity; so more EVs on the road, more coal to burn.
I strongly consider PHEV as it will benefit ME. Yes, I am selfish... I want cheap, clean rides in vehicle full of latest technology. Otherwise I can continue driving my Accord 2004, stick, where I average 7 liters/100km (all seasons combined) with my careful driving.
I can count at least 30 SUVs in my stretch of the street (about 90 houses) parked in front of garages (full of junk, as usual). Not to mention few trucks (most sold vehicle in Canada?!). Why do you need a truck in urban area???
As I have a school close by, little imbeciles cannot walk so they have to be dropped off; and about 7 in 10 vehicles are SUV.
Do they care???

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,294 Posts
Do you REALLY think that We can make a difference????
What China, India, USA and other foked-up countries do in 1 SECOND in terms of pollution, all cars currently on the road combined (in 'first' world countries) will not pollute in a 100 years. Do not forget that not every country produces 'clean' electricity; so more EVs on the road, more coal to burn.
Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty. - Stanislaw J. Lec

The more people that buy electric, the more economies of scale are created in both vehicle and battery production, and also in the deployment of charging infrastructure. We're seeing a tipping point where EV adoption is really starting to accelerate, and as this drives costs down to an even footing with ICE vehicles their adoption by the rest of the world will follow. In that respect the first world is playing a very big part, just as we did with oil and gas while the rest of the world was still fired by wood and coal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Every snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty. - Stanislaw J. Lec

The more people that buy electric, the more economies of scale are created in both vehicle and battery production, and also in the deployment of charging infrastructure. We're seeing a tipping point where EV adoption has really starting to accelerate, and as this drives costs down to an even footing with ICE vehicles adoption by the rest of the world will follow. In that respect the first world is playing a very big part, just as we did with oil and gas while the rest of the world was still fired by wood and coal.
Well said Kevin.

Reactions: KevinT and 1stEV

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq PHEV
69 Posts
What China, India, USA and other foked-up countries do in 1 SECOND in terms of pollution, all cars currently on the road combined (in 'first' world countries) will not pollute in a 100 years.
100 years is 3 billion seconds, about as many as people in said countries. So you say that they per person pollute more than the entire 1st world road fleet? That's a remarkable feat! =) Ok, I get the intentional exaggeration, and my faith in humanity is eroding, but want to believe that if you go first, many others will think and some will follow. Or shouting insults...

·
Registered
234 Posts
The right thing to do does not depend on whether anyone else is doing it.

Reactions: KevinT
1 - 14 of 14 Posts