Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
****... 26 green models???

This triple-threat is called 2017 Hyundai Ioniq consists of a pure battery model (BEV), a hybrid, and a plug-in hybrid (PHEV). The latter two are ‘Prius killers’ and their numbers relative to the equivalent Prius models prove it – well at least for the hybrid.

But that isn’t enough for the Korean automaker as it plans for 26 electrified models by 2020 for both its main brand and sub-brand Kia. Most of them – or 12 models – will be hybrids and six will be PHEVs while hydrogen fuel cell and pure battery models will get two apiece
ia is responsible for at least 11 of these vehicles like the upcoming Niro crossover. Meanwhile, Hyundai wants the upcoming Ioniq (above) to challenge the Toyota Prius, and the Korean company has hybrid, PHEV, and EV versions on the way.
This is going to be an interesting market for the other competitors out there.

:eek:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ioniq06} This is going to be an interesting market for the other competitors out there. [/QUOTE said:
I agree. I read today that Prius sales are down on their new offering. There are already offering discounts below MSRP. There could be a number of reasons, for example lower cost gasoline, but I think many, like myself (Prius owner for 6 years) are turned off by the new design.

Hyundai's Ioniq is very attractive (Pictures). I believe they have an opportunity to make major market gains over the Prius, but they need just a little more range, fuel efficiency, and performance. I have read comparisons of the 6 speed transmission and Toyota's CVT. I am undecided until I drive one. I'm not too happy about the low head room in the rear seat. We shall see.

Hyundai needs to get the vehicle on the market. Fall is a long ways away.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's even easier for them since they have vehicles that are perfect for going green that should account for a nice portion of those 26 models. One thing I want to see is the order which they make these come to market since it could be giving current models a green trim or starting with completely new models that are green from the start, followed by the former.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. I read today that Prius sales are down on their new offering. There are already offering discounts below MSRP. There could be a number of reasons, for example lower cost gasoline, but I think many, like myself (Prius owner for 6 years) are turned off by the new design.

Hyundai's Ioniq is very attractive (Pictures). I believe they have an opportunity to make major market gains over the Prius, but they need just a little more range, fuel efficiency, and performance. I have read comparisons of the 6 speed transmission and Toyota's CVT. I am undecided until I drive one. I'm not too happy about the low head room in the rear seat. We shall see.

Hyundai needs to get the vehicle on the market. Fall is a long ways away.
Yeah I saw some articles about their sales going down too, which sucks for them. I ain't digging their overall design either.

Ioniq is indeed attractive in pictures. Just hang in there! Fall may seem like a long way, but it'll be around the corner just before you know it :) lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does this also include Kia? I think Kia is coming out with a hybrid SUV type vehicle with the new Niro. Hyundai has a lot of their green car bases covered just with the new Niro and the three Ioniqs. Once they push these out, think they'll work on more performance based hybrid/EV?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think it does include Kia since it's under the Hyundai umbrella and 26 green models by 2020 seems like a tall order for just one marque only.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hyundai plans to release an all electric SUV in 2018 with a 200 mile range. Wouldn't matter much if I decide to go hybrid but if I do want an all electric, I may wait and see the SUV before pulling the trigger with the electric Ioniq.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hyundai plans to release an all electric SUV in 2018 with a 200 mile range. Wouldn't matter much if I decide to go hybrid but if I do want an all electric, I may wait and see the SUV before pulling the trigger with the electric Ioniq.
That's quite a while to wait but should be worth it since it sucks switching new cars right away, since you lose the most money right away when it rolls off the dealership floor.

One downside is by then EV tax credits will probably be less due to the lower need to have them since right now they are showing up more and more.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think the tax credits apply to the first 200,000 in the U.S. but I'm not sure about elsewhere. Maybe too much to hope that Hyundai won't hit that point by the time the SUV comes out?

If Hyundai does show a concept soon, I may just lease the Ioniq. I think you still get credits for leases.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not everyone who buys an EV will either apply or qualify for that credit. For example, some people don't have to pay Federal taxes. And some States do offer incentives for EV buyers, too.

·
Registered
323 Posts
As EV ownership grows the need for governments to encourage people to buy them by giving some incentive diminishes, so it's almost a case of keeping up to date with what your local credits car and the overall criteria that qualifies someone to get $xxxx amount.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts