Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
full press release here ttps://www.hyundaipressoffice.co.uk/release/814/

HYUNDAI MOTOR UK LAUNCHES ‘CLICK TO BUY’ – THE ALL-NEW ONLINE WAY TO PURCHASE A HYUNDAI

Nov 29, 2016

interesting option

but

who accepts sticker price without at least trying to haggle either over the price of the car or the value you get for your part-ex ? (is there a option to haggle over part-ex?)

I can see it appealing to companies who want to purchase a couple of pool cars, but not sure if it would appeal to private buyers

I do a lot of research online so I have a good idea what I want when I do go to the showroom. but I like to go look at and sit in the car, have a test drive and eyeball the salesman before committing to buy

if I was a dealer would I like a person coming in sitting in the car, having a test drive then going, ordering off the manufacturers website and collecting the car from my dealership?

obviously the dealers can't be out of pocket, but what will this do to the dealer network and numbers of sales staff,

I think this will be a marmite service, you will either love it or hate it, but does have its place in the grand scheme of things as it is an option that is currently missing and you don't have to use it if you prefer dealing face to face in the dealership

what do others think?? is this the thin end of the wedge or a useful service?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Although it's nice to be able to order online, I would never do it simply because I would miss the discount one gets from the dealer. In order for the online ordering to work, they should offer additional goodies and features.
I would think something like standardized 15% discount of the catalogue price (since they would kind of cut out the middle man), and options such as quick delivery (car is being delivered to the door like a week after ordering). If this was possible, I would think about ordering online, otherwise not really interesting for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's a clever idea I think!

A good way of taking part in black Friday/cyber Monday/boxing day sales with little to no effort for people who have already had a test-drive but are on the fence over price/deals.

I also hate haggling so for me it's awesome (I'll do it it, but I'm not good/comfortable doing it), The only exception being that people who are buying online will effectively get 'ripped off' with list price by comparison.

The other plus is that dealers will sometimes haggle themselves... When we bought out VW Up for the wife we asked how much servicing was and she came back with a monthly cost (I wanted one off costs) including maintenance items that totalled up (with the car payments) was cheaper than the per month of the next trim up, without us even asking for a better deal.

Unless they pass on savings made to the customer I'd stick to a dealer.

Also as Hyundai has the affinity set up in theory they could offer codes (like voucher codes on online shops) that will enable the affinity deal. But I imagine it's easier for them to enable it on a per user basis once proof of entitlement is submitted (If they ever want to go down this route).

I also think it would be a clever way of them selling their Demo/Pre-Reg stock!

The only concern would be closing dealerships/losing staff (Hey, they've saved money with a website, why not) as that will make recalls etc for people near a (now closed) dealership a real pain....

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Like Coedy ,I don't like haggling much in truth I'm crap at it .I can't see dealerships disappearing , after all you'd need a test drive first , they may just slim down a little. So I'll hold fire on that one and see how it pans out .

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suspect there will be small payments to the dealer for a test drive /pickup if arranged through the web site

also it does mention any finance paperwork would need to be signed in a dealership and there is an option (for a cost) to have the car delivered to your home, which would be good for motability customers

it will be interesting to see how it takes off and the options available,

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I guess we'll know in three weeks............. not that I'm planning to change my Ioniq any time soon :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tesla has been doing click to buy since they first launch in the US. It has gotten them in trouble in many states. There are a few states that have banned Tesla's click to buy. As for Hyundai being the first? I don't think so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts