Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BUSAN, South Korea -- Hyundai Motor said it plans to launch an electric vehicle with a driving range of about 200 miles per charge in 2018, aiming to better compete with other electric car makers such as Tesla Motors Inc.

That is nearly double the 119 miles per charge that will be offered by an electric version of Hyundai's Ioniq sedan, which is set to hit the market later this year.

Hyundai and affiliate Kia Motors plan to more than double the number of their environmentally-friendly models to 28 in 2020, the automaker said in a statement. The goal is up from its previous plan of 26 vehicles.

Contact Automotive News

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160601/OEM04/160609980/hyundai-to-launch-200-mile-ev-in-2018

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's the industry standard, all this tell us is they too are playing with the other brands that have plans for 200-mile EV's.

What will be more interesting is how they can stay competitive and when they'll roll out updates. Anyone can start, it's if they can keep going.

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's the kicker. Will they be able to introduce something new to the industry to make them noticeable and give them recognition or will it just continue to be a game of keep-up ?

·
Registered
323 Posts
With the way they're growing right now it's only a matter of time till that happens and they see the success they want and need with a product unique to them.

Overall everyones view on Hyundai has changed a lot over the years, it's very positive right now.

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
Overall everyones view on Hyundai has changed a lot over the years, it's very positive right now.

I must agree with that, 18 months ago I was looking to change my 2012 skoda fabia estate for the new fabia, due to dealer sales staff showing no interest I went to look at Hyundai as it was supposed to be a "competitor" for the new fabia

well I looked at the new i20, liked the styling, thought the spec level for the SE was good and what I wanted plus more so placed my order after being a skoda driver for nearly 15 years

if Hyundai can bring the Ioniq in at a good price and spec level I think their goal of becoming No. 2 in the hybrid market could be a real possibility

·
Registered
176 Posts
bluecar1 - I agree. And, I suspect that Hyundai WILL be able to sell the IONIQ at a good price with favorable specs.
They have a darn good looking vehicle, and the competition (Prius) is absolutely 'goofy' looking. True, the new Prius has some very favorable technology, but I suspect Hyundai can come close (They have a year to make 'tweaks' and improvements.

Here in the mountain west, Hyundai has a very favorable reputation. There are aggressive dealerships, and they have sold a S***-load of vehicles. Consumer Report has written very favorably about the brand as well.

I'm considering one to share the 'stable' with a Toyota product.

·
Registered
55 Posts
People who were looking for a long range Ioniq may now wait for the 200 mile version, Hyundai could lose sales because of this announcement.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very much. It only makes sense to wait for it at this point. It'll be a problem though, depriving sales of the other models potentially substantially.

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
some of us will not be able to wait, due to various reasons I will need to change my 2015 i20 march next year and won't be able to wait for the longer mileage variant

but I am looking at the hybrid not the full EV version so doubling the range won't be a big issue for me,

bear in mind the full EV version is not due for about 6 months after the initial launch of the hybrid version so they have time to up the range for the launch

but I also have the Kia Niro to consider now as well, this uses the same hybrid drive train and about the same price in a cross over format and due for release 4-6 weeks before my preferred choice the ioniq

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Niro does look like it'll provide more space for you if you need it. But what's the difference in range between the hybrid Ioniq and the Niro ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yea Hyundai bought 51% in 1998. So approximately 18 years. But as of December 2013 they owned 34ish% or something like that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Crazy to see how both brands have risen so far and where they are heading to with their upcoming models, but to do you guys think they have a chance at taking over the volume some long standing brands have had?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes. They're a very aggressive company and the big Japanese makers have become lazy, bureaucratic, and soft. I remember renting Hyundais 15 years ago and how awful those cars were. Hyundai has focused on quality, reliability, and value with a strong mix of innovation thrown in. This is the formula Honda used to make its name in the automotive business. Now Hyundai is out Hondaing Honda and forcing Honda to innovate and improve once again.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can only guess (and hope) that Hyundai has now seen the new 4th generation Prius, and is making some adjustments to the Ioniq. I feel that what we have seen in the Ioniq was pretty competitive with the 3rd generation Prius, but Toyota 'leap-frogged' the Ioniq with the new model. Personally, I wouldn't be even thinking about an Ioniq if the Prius was not such a goofy-looking thing. If the Ioniq make no upgrades before the release, then it will really need to be priced much lower.

Thats my opinion.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Realistically, I don't think the current Ioniq EV is going to sell all that well with or without this 200 mile range announcement. The only thing it'll do is maybe make Bolt EV buyers hesitate a bit.

Most people will just go for the hybrid variants of the Ioniq since the EV has such a short range of travel per charge.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It all depends on what's seen as being good enough, combined with all the other things people think about Hyundai which can make all the difference. Better pricing, warranty terms, stronger faith in the brand, and more are some major players. It goes well beyond just a couple statistics.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts