Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyundai Europe President and CEO, Michael Cole spoke with Autonews Europe and told them that he thinks Hyundai can be the biggest seller of EVs in Europe.

“In a relatively short span of time, we have the potential to become the biggest provider of EVs in Europe, especially with the new lineup of dedicated EV models under the new Ioniq brand."

That's a pretty bold claim to make, especially with Tesla and the rest of the industry building their own EVs. Let's see if the Ioniw 5 and the rest of the Ioniq lineup can get the job done.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
784 Posts
Way too bold. VW are going to kill it with the ID.3 and ID.4. Not to mention Tesla with the MY and M3.

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
It is good to show ambition in your goals. But if it is only bluffing, at the end of the day you do not make a good impression. How realistic it can be, depends much on the prices they can offer, as for many that is a main factor considered in decisions. Hyundai has a name for a good value-price ratio. If in the future they are still a bit lower than what competitors offer, in Europe they can grow more. I am curious how the prices of the Ioniq 5 that should come next year will be.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Depends a lot on range and price of the new Ioniq. I was impressed how well Hyundai was able to do with what were essentially ICE designed cars. I expect a BEV only car will do much better. But there are going to be a slew of very good competitors in the next few years.

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
Yes, there will be real competition!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here in Denmark it looks Line the ID3 Will be 25% more expensive than the Ioniq. And the Ioniq is a lagret car, more the Lines of the ID 4 from looks.

Difficult for VW to kill something when it is 25% more expensive, and does not offer much more...

·
Registered
2020, Ioniq PHEV Premium SE
34 Posts
The reality is It comes down to the badge. Cars from the likes of Audi, VW, BMW and Mercedes will simply be the go to manufacturer for a very large segment of the new car buying population.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The reality is It comes down to the badge.
True. The biggest strike against the Chevy Volt (Opel Ampera) when I went PHEV shopping was that it wasn't a Hyundai. For those that like their Audi, VW, Merc, or Beamer their first EV is likely to be another one of those.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Either way, more completion will ensure more growth and better prices. Difficult for the new guys to over price and say “it’s to pay for the R&D” that time is over, thanks to Renault, Nissan, Tesla and now Hyundai;-)

I met a Mercedes 2xx e driver. The E stands for plug-in apparently.
I asked:
  • Does it have adaptive cruise control-> “I don’t think so” he answered
  • Is it semi - autonomous/ Ie self driving?
“I don’t think so” he answered

Then he said. It it is amazing, it stop by recharging (regen)
Laughed inside. He has probably payed 3 to 4 times more and has 3 to 4 times less ;-)

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
89 Posts
Hyundai Europe President and CEO, Michael Cole spoke with Autonews Europe and told them that he thinks Hyundai can be the biggest seller of EVs in Europe.

“In a relatively short span of time, we have the potential to become the biggest provider of EVs in Europe, especially with the new lineup of dedicated EV models under the new Ioniq brand."

That's a pretty bold claim to make, especially with Tesla and the rest of the industry building their own EVs. Let's see if the Ioniw 5 and the rest of the Ioniq lineup can get the job done.
We don't really know what Tesla is up to. They too have bold plans but struggles with service, quality and delivery. Cars still quite expensive with high end specs and a service organisation way too small. That simply does not cut it.

If Ioniq brand can produce enough batteries they can for sure be the biggest EV seller but this would need to bring new cars with resonable specs at a lower price. Lets say Ioniq 38 or Kona 39 range with 160hp and 150kW charging sold at half the price asked today.... then they could crush it. Highly unlikely though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts